• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Looking at the pictures of the "modern efficient filing room" it clearly shows the boxes on top of the file cabinets blocking the sprinkler heads. The State Fire Marshal needs to be brought in. I am sure the combustible loading in the closet is also way out of line. i would also like to see how the floor storage between the tables meets egress requirements for handicapped people, seems to me I recall a 36" requirement...... I can go on but you see where I am headed :D

Lol, I was harping on the fire hazard a long time ago. What happens if there is a fire down there?

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I am afraid I disagree here. Not enough plausible deniability....

My bet is that they cooked this up a few weeks ago when their lawyers explained the implications of failing to timely process the hQL IN 30 DAYS AS REQUIRED BY LAW.

On a related note there is good reason to believe that allowing MSP to be the POC for NCIS ( if they have network to network access ) may violate Federal Information Protection Standards...

This could get interesting....

Which part do you disagree about? The maliciousness or the reason? :)

Can we agree there is an element of both on the reason part?

My bet is their lawyers read the bill and know there is an even more insidious problem with it having to do with banned long gun transfers... And they did not address it in the draft COMAR.

The language in the bill is clear on the HQL, no grandfathering.

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    Which part do you disagree about? The maliciousness or the reason? :)

Can we agree there is an element of both on the reason part?

My bet is their lawyers read the bill and know there is an even more insidious problem with it having to do with banned long gun transfers... And they did not address it in the draft COMAR.

The language in the bill is clear on the HQL, no grandfathering.

Well If I wanted to leak data I could frame an unknown insider and dump the lot could I not?

Banned long gun is abig issue for us but SCOTUS has not ruled on that yet. The failure to issue a lic for handguns will lead to injunctive relief. Not the long gun ban may or may not be injoined but it may be that a federal court is not willing to play " what the hell does this mean" and will just injoin the entire law pending litigation.

Now if they can't issue ion 30 days ans the law is injoined, what will we continue to do? How many more newbees can we get armed. How much more time will we have to grandfather in firearms.

I am thinking that the backlog is growing now as more people get DC letters. If you are not a DC yet just do it. Even if it goes moot soon its will send a message, and remember with a temp injunction based on failure to preform we need to nail them hard so they keep failing to preform... :)

He is panicking and it shows..

And he may yet find out that the feds take a dim view of the 77r issue and may even need to reconsider data sharing with the MSP ... really as fed you know what I am referring to --- this can be a very big deal.

I also think you will find that other state databases are compromised and that most MD state employees would not pass a federal employment check..

Just some thoughts.. This may be bigger than just us.

thebullpupkid

Feb 6, 2009
    Right near the beach!
    My guess is USPS wants their boxes back...

18 USC § 1707 - Theft of property used by Postal Service

Whoever steals, purloins, or embezzles any property used by the Postal Service, or appropriates any such property to his own or any other than its proper use, or conveys away any such property to the hindrance or detriment of the public service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; but if the value of such property does not exceed $1,000, he shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Those tubs cost about $4 each per this Link.

I wonder if they have 250 of them total in that place to get to the level that carries a 3 year maximum penalty. It would be a shame to lose their gun rights (more than 2 year max penalty) over something as stupid as this.

After all, they don't interpret the laws, they just enforce them, right? :rolleyes:

As if we could ever get a prosecutor to take this up.

Mr H

Unincited Co-Conservative
    or appropriates any such property to his own or any other than its proper use

... and we clearly see that there are multiple tubs used for nothing BUT 77R forms... HARDLY mail sorting, yaknow??!

Fold-your-own boxes at Staples (ALSO anti-gun, so that should work out for them!!) are what... $2 or so each???

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    Any "Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" fans here?

This situation reminds me of when Arthur Dent goes to his local government planning office, to find out why they have scheduled his house for demolition.

"`...You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them had you? I mean like actually telling anyone or anything.'
    `But the plans were on display...'
    `On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.'
    `That's the display department.'
    `With a torch.'
    `Ah, well the lights had probably gone.'
    `So had the stairs.'
    `But look you found the notice didn't you?'
    `Yes,' said Arthur, `yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying "Beware of The Leopard".'"

....truly, we are witnessing bureaucratic incompetence and apathy at its finest.

I think the Vogons are more representative if what we face in Maryland....

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    18 USC § 1707 - Theft of property used by Postal Service

Whoever steals, purloins, or embezzles any property used by the Postal Service, or appropriates any such property to his own or any other than its proper use, or conveys away any such property to the hindrance or detriment of the public service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both; but if the value of such property does not exceed $1,000, he shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Those tubs cost about $4 each per this Link.

I wonder if they have 250 of them total in that place to get to the level that carries a 3 year maximum penalty. It would be a shame to lose their gun rights (more than 2 year max penalty) over something as stupid as this.

After all, they don't interpret the laws, they just enforce them, right? :rolleyes:

As if we could ever get a prosecutor to take this up.
    I got a pile of them. Every time I go on a trip of a week or more they hold my mail at the Post Office and when I get back, they give me one of those across the counter. My guess is the Licensing Division gets them by the gross every time the mail gets dumped on them.

We got enough to focus on without bringing up odd bits.

FWIW, the post office didn't want them back and they are great to store odd junk in. Tougher than they look. I have seen people use them as planter boxes for strawberries. Never rot.

Fess Parkerized

Feb 27, 2013
    Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
    One more thing, we are all working on the assumption that somebody "could" easily access our PII because of how this was done.

What if MOM et al WANT us to be in a position to have identity theft issues? It is no big secret that he has general disdain for non-Democrats and for gun enthusiasts, so to him if one of us has ID theft, he just figures we had it coming. He knows he won't get our vote anyhow.

Before I simply thought it was gross incompetence. Now I'm really leaning more to the intentional side of things.

OK, you can tell me to take off my tin foil hat, but it sure would be an easy way to make the information available to OFA or Federal Agencies. Just sayin...

DaedalEVE

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 31, 2008
    The Dictatorship of Maryland
    so any hacker worth his salt will be in this database in no time.

Glad i got nothing in the pipeline and its a damn shame I fell off that bridge while carrying all my firearms. (You're required to report boating accidents that result in loss of vessel, life or significant monetary loss. ;)
    Worth his salt? Any 10 year old who knows anything about computers could do it! With no encryption you could do a brute-force attack and be in there in no time at all. Even with encryption you'd still get in fairly quick (as long as they aren't using SHA-based or blowfish-based crypt). But we already know encryption isn't an issue here.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yeah, no multi-factor authentication, SSLVPN or anything. Straight up nekked on the Interwebs.

They were probably wearing jimhats while doing the work and claiming they were practicing safe computing....

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Worth his salt? Any 10 year old who knows anything about computers could do it! With no encryption you could do a brute-force attack and be in there in no time at all. Even with encryption you'd still get in fairly quick (as long as they aren't using SHA-based or blowfish-based crypt). But we already know encryption isn't an issue here.

Encryption and access control are really about different things. No encryption means anyone in the middle sees the data in the raw.

Access control means even with plain text you might not get in because of strong passwords.

They are both just parts of the overall security stance needed.

And SHA is about data integrity (being sure nothing was changed in the middle), not about keeping things hidden.

That being said any website not using SSL and using a single login is considered low hanging fruit.

csanc123

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2009
    Montgomery County
    Actually SHA can and is used as a one way encryption function to hide plaintext passwords in storage. (much like how LM hashes of passwords on older windows systems)

It's the impetus for a rainbow table.

Encryption and access control are really about different things. No encryption means anyone in the middle sees the data in the raw.

Access control means even with plain text you might not get in because of strong passwords.

They are both just parts of the overall security stance needed.

And SHA is about data integrity (being sure nothing was changed in the middle), not about keeping things hidden.

That being said any website not using SSL and using a single login is considered low hanging fruit.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Lol, I was harping on the fire hazard a long time ago. What happens if there is a fire down there?

Where's Milton when you need him.

tumblr_mfrk9shn5x1s1kqrno1_500.gif

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    ... and we clearly see that there are multiple tubs used for nothing BUT 77R forms... HARDLY mail sorting, yaknow??!

Fold-your-own boxes at Staples (ALSO anti-gun, so that should work out for them!!) are what... $2 or so each???

Typical Fed exuberance...pay twice as much for something that you can find in the private sector for half price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom