• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • owns24

Jan 25, 2015
    California, MD
    Hello MD!

I currently reside in San Diego, California and I am moving to Maryland in March. I look forward to getting out of Cali, I'm originally from Kansas.
    Unfortunately I thought Maryland would have been one of those states with less strict gun laws than California...but I was wrong.

So as any responsible gun owner I have been researching if my firearms are legal in Maryland. I know there has been mentions on threads that firearms owned prior to 10/1/2013 are grandfathered in. My S&W M&P 15 was purchased in 8/2011

So according to MSP's website my firearm is banned.
    Weapon Selected: S & W M & P 15;
    Justification: Copy of the Colt AR15
    Date of Status: 10/1/2013
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ngandRegistration/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

But according to Chapter 427 (Senate Bill 281) page 9 my M&P 15 is not a "copycat"

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

I own this Smith and Wesson Model M&P15OR Rifle
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57784_757784_757784_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

-Ryan

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Hello MD!

I currently reside in San Diego, California and I am moving to Maryland in March. I look forward to getting out of Cali, I'm originally from Kansas.
    Unfortunately I thought Maryland would have been one of those states with less strict gun laws than California...but I was wrong.

So as any responsible gun owner I have been researching if my firearms are legal in Maryland. I know there has been mentions on threads that firearms owned prior to 10/1/2013 are grandfathered in. My S&W M&P 15 was purchased in 8/2011

So according to MSP's website my firearm is banned.
    Weapon Selected: S & W M & P 15;
    Justification: Copy of the Colt AR15
    Date of Status: 10/1/2013
    https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...ngandRegistration/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx

But according to Chapter 427 (Senate Bill 281) page 9 my M&P 15 is not a "copycat"

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

-Ryan

Pretty sure it is banned if not a heavy barrel. The M&P Sport rifles have the thin barrel to my knowledge.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm pretty sure that you can bring it to MD. You just have to register it with the MSP within 60 or 90 days or something

I think that's only for handguns. I don't think anyone can bring in a banned rifle even if it was purchased before 10/1/13. I could be wrong though.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    I'm pretty sure that you can bring it to MD. You just have to register it with the MSP within 60 or 90 days or something

I think this is correct. You may need proof that you purchased it before Oct 1st 2013 but not sure. If you don't have the receipt from the purchase go to the shop you bought it and see if they can help with a copy of it.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    Welcome Aboard, if your Military you have a reprieve in purchasing a Handgun, just do your research, this forum is a wealth of information...were about do you plan to move too, you can connect with the local IP for assistance with purchases and info...

owns24

Jan 25, 2015
    California, MD
    Welcome Aboard, if your Military you have a reprieve in purchasing a Handgun, just do your research, this forum is a wealth of information...were about do you plan to move too, you can connect with the local IP for assistance with purchases and info...

Thanks Gunny, I'm active duty Marines.

owns24

Jan 25, 2015
    California, MD
    I think this is correct. You may need proof that you purchased it before Oct 1st 2013 but not sure. If you don't have the receipt from the purchase go to the shop you bought it and see if they can help with a copy of it.

I have all the paperwork from my original purchase...I've been combing through all the available online resources and I believe I should be in the clear, they all state:

(3) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may:
    (i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon; or

I just have to ensure that this is applicable to out of state purchases.

Looks like I'll be calling base legal over at PAX River to try and get some further clarification. Thanks Gents!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I think that's only for handguns. I don't think anyone can bring in a banned rifle even if it was purchased before 10/1/13. I could be wrong though.

Yes, handguns are also necessary to register. However you can bring the rifle. Just make sure to hang on to proof of the pre-10/1/2013 purchase.

Glad you got one early, although there are still a number of alternatives here (e.g. look up the industrial partner, Engage Armament's, E4 Basic - an HBAR but not a heavy weight rifle).

Unlike CA, you can legally possess any capacity mags here. In state, if they're purchased, transferred, or shipped in from a vendor, they have to be 10 rounds or less. But if you take possession of them out of state, you can bring them in.

Just don't fly in via Reagan National (in DC) with them. Dulles (in Virginia) or BWI (in Maryland) would be better. You can have them shipped to yourself too, from CA to MD. <- Reagan/DCA is in Arlington, VA not DC, so good to go

ETA: here's an awesome thread that deconstructs the most recent legislation ...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281

Last edited:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 248

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Yes, go with this advice about registering. I think handguns are only necessary.
    However you can bring the rifle. Just make sure to hang on to proof of the pre-10/1/2013 purchase.
    Glad you got one early, although there are still a number of alternatives here (e.g. look up the industrial partner, Engage Armament's, E4 Basic - an HBAR but not a heavy weight rifle).
    Unlike CA, you can legally possess any capacity mags here. In state, if they're purchased, transferred, or shipped in from a vendor, they have to be 10 rounds or less. But if you take possession of them out of state, you can bring them in. Just don't fly in via Reagan National (in DC) with them. Dulles (in Virginia) or BWI (in Maryland) would be better. You can have them shipped to yourself too, from CA to MD.

ETA: see this thread below about registering pre-ban AR-15s in MD ... the requirement, although considered, was dropped ...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=116406

Here's an (awesome) additional thread that deconstructs the most recent legislation ...

I hate to sound pedantic, but Reagan National Airport is located in Arlington, VA. I've flown in and out of there several times with checked firearms w/ standard capacity mags without any problems.

Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) is located in Arlington, VA just across the Potomac River from the Nation’s Capital.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Yes, go with this advice about registering. I think handguns are only necessary.
    However you can bring the rifle. Just make sure to hang on to proof of the pre-10/1/2013 purchase.
    Unlike CA, you can legally possess any capacity mags here. In state, if they're purchased, transferred, or shipped in from a vendor, they have to be 10 rounds or less. But if you take possession of them out of state, you can bring them in. Just don't fly in via Reagan National (in DC) with them. Dulles (in Virginia) or BWI (in Maryland) would be better. You can have them shipped to yourself too, from CA to MD.

ETA: see this thread below about registering pre-ban AR-15s in MD ... the requirement, although considered, was dropped ...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=116406

Here's an (awesome) additional thread that deconstructs the most recent legislation ...

Ah yes, you're right. Just have to have proof of ownership before 10/1/13. I was thinking of those who have bought them in another state AFTER the date. Those are :nono:

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I hate to sound pedantic, but Reagan National Airport is located in Arlington, VA. I've flown in and out of there several times with checked firearms w/ standard capacity mags without any problems.

I appreciate your follow up or I would have continued to carry around this erroneous piece of information in my head. Makes the airport more useful for me if flying in with mags in the future (just have to ensure that my driving path home to Maryland remains outside of DC limits).

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    If a now banned rifle was owned prior to 10-1-13, it can be brought into MD. It must be registered within 90 days of establishing residency, although military is a slightly different issue. I am not sure what residency requirements are for AD military.

To register a pre 10-1-13 regulated firearm go here:

https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/S...andRegistration/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Helpful link. I misinterpreted past discussions on the topic. You are correct sir, on both points (need to register now banned rifles owned pre-Oct 1, 2013 for new residents and the possible waiver for military members maintaining residency elsewhere).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom