• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Someone mentioned taxes. Do look into the border states of VA, WV or PA. VA and WV tax rates aren't the best but way better than MD. PA has a flat income tax rate 3.07%. I'm sure they get you on property tax a bit but it still won't be as bad as here. I am leaving the Army this year and once I make a full year of salary (so 2014 taxes), my MD state income tax will be pushing FORTY THOUSAND FREAKING DOLLARS versus less than 10k in PA. Plus my MoCo property taxes were $4500 for 2012 and will most likely be going up. Think carefully about moving to the Republik. An easy 45-75min commute each way may more than pay for itself in tax savings. And don't forget, the constitution still counts in those states (though Philly is trying). Finally you will get to tease all your Active Duty colleagues with your freedoms.

helmetmike

Sep 30, 2010
    So. MD 29B
    DO NOT DO IT. MD has become an East Coast liberal tax and spend sewer. If you can go elsewhere, do it. All you will get from MD is a growing police state that takes every dime you make and gives it to those who have their hands out. Whatever rights you have now, be prepared to fight for them or lose them. MD has no respect for you or your rights. Except for your right to pay and pay and pay.

2AHokie

Dec 27, 2012
    District - 9A
    Friends don't let friends move to MD.

I commuted, for a time, from Leesburg up 15 and into MD. I didn't do the drive during the winter months, but I found the commute overall to be relatively pleasant.

If it hadn't been 1.25 to 1.5 hours worth of driving in each direction (my final destination was not Frederick), I might still be doing it but I eventually did move to MD after a few months simply because it was too much driving.

Route 15 can be aggravating if someone decides to drive 10 mph under the limit (one lane, nearly impossible to pass anyone ever) but I didn't mind much.

Jun 22, 2011
    Westminster
    Gettysburg, PA is about a 1-hour commute via Route 15. Leesburg, VA is about 45 minutes via Route 15 (real expensive, though). Harpers Ferry, WVa is within an hour, too. Traffic should not be too bad on any of them, except maybe Harpers Ferry. Speaking as a Maryland resident, any of those commutes are worth not living here.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    I don't plan on staying in MD forever. I eventually want to move back to Alabama to be with family.

Thank you guys for all the input.

AHHH! So you have light at the end of the tunnel! Thats great news. But seriously dont move to MD.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Ive heard traffic is a nightmare though. Is that true?

I go to school in PA and live in Frederick. I drive 15 all the time when I go home on the weekends. there are a few areas that get bottle necked at rush hour but for the most part it is smooth sailing barring an accident or something.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, I agree with what everybody else has said. If you can avoid living in Maryland, do it. When this entire SB281 proposal came out, my wife and I started looking at homes online that were just SW of Richmond, Virginia. If my parents and siblings weren't here, I would move in a heartbeat even though I don't think Virginia has reciprocity for my CPA license. They have a way for me to practice law there, which is pretty easy. Just not able to waive in on the CPA license. It would have still been worth it.

Ultimately, you will have to make this decision on your own. If I were you, I would think about renting in PA for a year and seeing what the drive is like. Then working up your tax return this time next year as if you are a MD resident and then as a PA resident to see what the difference in income taxes would be. Then, take into account that the gas tax is going up in Maryland and sales tax is currently 6% with the Governor wanting to raise it to 7%.

Honestly, it is quite frightening here unless you are looking for welfare. If that is the case, welcome to one of the best, if not the best, welfare state there is.

As far as the assault weapons are concerned, if SB281 passes, you would have to register them with Maryland State Police to keep them. Don't know if you have to register them right now though. Have not seen anything in the current law regarding people moving into the state.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Move to Pennsylvania, work in Maryland. You'll thank me later.

Listen to us --- DO NOT MOVE INTO MD !!!

Definitely move into So. PA and commute to and from Frederick.

I have 4years to go before I retire and my wife and I are already researching property in the Caolinas -- we are counting the minutes to get the h*ll out of this liberal waste of a tax-hiking hell of an existence.

No ones actually "lives" in MD any longer. We all are simply "surviving". Just the way Marx and Stalin wanted it.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Welcome to MD. At the moment, you can bring everything you listed and you don't have to register any of it.

Welcome to Ground Zero of the current wave of Legislative battles over the civil right of firearms ownership.

Those of staying and fighting can use the help.

We are going to do our best to remove these idiots from office in 2014. We are better organized, we will get even better organized, we will get funded and give as many of those who vote for SB281 the boot in 2014.

ALL IN.

Welcome to Maryland if you do decide to move here. Other than the politics, it's a great place.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Seriously Pa, WV, and a slice of Va are within easy ( by our standards ) commute of Fredrick. The Leesburg , Va area is expensive, trendy, and Yuppified. WV panhandle and Pa are more rural, country, and less expensive. Choose your prefrences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom