• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nyu04

Mar 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Hi guys,

I don't post much but I read often in the forums. After living in waldorf for the last 6+ yrs - finally decided to bite the bullet and move to Calvert. Thought about moving to VA (freedom!!) but the daily commute would be too much. We currently live on 0.10 acres and in the last few weeks - had some of our mail and a few packages stolen. Good times!! My two little ones are starting school soon so we figure better now than never!

We're moving to Huntingtown this Summer and it's going to be a bummer to be so far from MG/my buddy's private range locally. Good news is although our property is in a subdivision - it has no HOA. The house sits on 3 acres but the property also comes with roughly 20 acres of forest conservation behind/on the side of the house. Bad news - most of it is a giant gully/valley with hunting creek running through it so no long distance shooting. At this point, I'm not even sure if it will be a viable place to shoot (have not had the chance to walk the entire property yet but hopefully soon).

My question is this - is it legal for me to shoot back there? I am assuming yes since it will be at least 150 yards from other houses (a row of other houses sit on a ridge at least 300-500 yards away). Also - if I hand dig a berm into the hill side without cutting down any big/major trees - am I going to be in major dodo if DNR (or other LEOs) shows up? I know a lot of guys built private ranges on their own property but are they on forest conservation vs regular deeded property?

Anyhow - any advice/input would be great. I look forward to meeting some of you from Calvert. Maybe at the PF Walmart scoping out ammo - save me some! :D

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I had access to a similiar track of land for hunting..if theres food, water...there will be deer! I got permission from my neighbor to hunt on their property and there were only a couple other people that hunted so it was a win win situation. I didnt have long range shots either..but thats how I got into bow hunting and muzzle loader. Neighbors never said anything about shooting behind their houses, and never saw DNR once in 3 seasons of hunting....get you a few gravity deer feeders like the ones in an old thread of mine...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=65000&highlight=buck

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    I live in PF and hunt there and in Huntingtown. Calvert is still more "country" than Charles Co in their views on hunting. As long as you are friendly with the neighbors you shouldn't have any problems.

nyu04

Mar 5, 2009
    Maryland
    I had access to a similiar track of land for hunting..if theres food, water...there will be deer! I got permission from my neighbor to hunt on their property and there were only a couple other people that hunted so it was a win win situation. I didnt have long range shots either..but thats how I got into bow hunting and muzzle loader. Neighbors never said anything about shooting behind their houses, and never saw DNR once in 3 seasons of hunting....get you a few gravity deer feeders like the ones in an old thread of mine...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=65000&highlight=buck

My thoughts exactly. When we first looked at the house, the wife was like oOoOo the house and I was like OoOooo the land! I definitely plan to hunt on it next season - thanks for the thread link!

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    My thoughts exactly. When we first looked at the house, the wife was like oOoOo the house and I was like OoOooo the land! I definitely plan to hunt on it next season - thanks for the thread link!

the good thing about those feeders is you arent out a lot of money as opposed to a timed feeder if it gets stolen...

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    2 hr drive isn't that bad if you get some piece of mind when you get home! I do it everyday to northwest dc. I don't like working up there but it let's me mow my yard naked if I want. If you do that though, I suggest a towel on the seat, it gets sweaty and then dries and you have to peel yourself off. Budweiser helps with that though.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I am still in Chuckles but my property backs up to Zekiah Swamp. It is nice having skeet throwers bolted to my deck and a Christmass forest of crap to shoot at across the ravine and deer stands on the back 5.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I live in PF and hunt there and in Huntingtown. Calvert is still more "country" than Charles Co in their views on hunting. As long as you are friendly with the neighbors you shouldn't have any problems.

not just hunting but development also.. not much new housing development nor retail business (which is a plus in some ways).

Op: welcome to Calvert!

nyu04

Mar 5, 2009
    Maryland
    not just hunting but development also.. not much new housing development nor retail business (which is a plus in some ways).

Op: welcome to Calvert!

thanks dude! Look forward to the quiet (er) life.

I am still in Chuckles but my property backs up to Zekiah Swamp. It is nice having skeet throwers bolted to my deck and a Christmass forest of crap to shoot at across the ravine and deer stands on the back 5.

if I had your set up - I would stay too!

2 hr drive isn't that bad if you get some piece of mind when you get home! I do it everyday to northwest dc. I don't like working up there but it let's me mow my yard naked if I want. If you do that though, I suggest a towel on the seat, it gets sweaty and then dries and you have to peel yourself off. Budweiser helps with that though.

lol - Budweiser helps with many things!

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Sounds like where I shoot. *knock on wood* I've NEVER had a cop show up during my shooting.

Welcome to the county, neighbor!

Only time they showed up here was after a sustained hour of 30cal beltfed goodness. Once they saw we had a safe backstop they informed us they had recieved over 40 calls from up to 7miles away. I reasured them we were out of belts and would be settling down with a few hundred rounds of skeet before we got into the thousands of 9mm and 223 not to mention the other toys. And they were on their way.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    I have a similar situation across the pond in St. Mary's.

My new house butts up to a zoned Reforestation Area, ~7 acres of that area is on my property. Not sure of the ins and outs of the RA arrangement, but my neighbor hunts his land and I let him use mine to expand his hunting grounds.

I do know you get a tax break for having it zoned that way and I have no plans of ever building on it.

If you find out a link for the rules of the RA, please post them here. I'm curious, myself.:thumbsup:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

My new house butts up to a zoned Reforestation Area, ~7 acres of that area is on my property. Not sure of the ins and outs of the RA arrangement, but my neighbor hunts his land and I let him use mine to expand his hunting grounds.

I do know you get a tax break for having it zoned that way and I have no plans of ever building on it.

If you find out a link for the rules of the RA, please post them here. I'm curious, myself.:thumbsup:

what are you curious about? if you can hunt in the area? or shoot in the area?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reforestation
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/forests/programapps/newreforest.asp
    http://www.dnr.state.md.us/download/reforest.pdf

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I don't really know anything about it. Guess I have some weekend homework now. This class sucks.:tdown:

lol.. if i dont know the answer.. i'll try to get for you.. reforestation is handled state wide.. so at least i can ask our md registered landscape people at work (they deal with permitting through county and state).

nyu04

Mar 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Sounds like where I shoot. *knock on wood* I've NEVER had a cop show up during my shooting.

Welcome to the county, neighbor!

thanks bud - looking forward to moving!

Only time they showed up here was after a sustained hour of 30cal beltfed goodness. Once they saw we had a safe backstop they informed us they had recieved over 40 calls from up to 7miles away. I reasured them we were out of belts and would be settling down with a few hundred rounds of skeet before we got into the thousands of 9mm and 223 not to mention the other toys. And they were on their way.

where are you in Calvert - lol maybe I'm right around the corner!

Well I called DNR, after getting transferred a few times - they said usually it's fine to hunt in there but no disturbance of any vegetation and no permanent structures. In terms of building a informal small range, that's a no no but the guy said people do it all the time but they can't police everybody. So, I definitely won't be cutting down any major trees/bulldozing anything back there. Maybe just set up some targets against a hillside, shoot, then pack up afterwards.

Guess building that doomsday bunker into the hillside is "technically" illegal too then.. :D

44 Bulldog

Oct 25, 2012
    Dunkirk-Calvert County
    i hunt in Huntingtown and there is someone off Hardesty Rd.that shoots every weekend. I checked and Maryland tax assessments and the person only has 3ac and he shoots a lot I just hope in your new place your neighbor isn't some ass from like Montgomery Co

nyu04

Mar 5, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm in Chuckles.

duh - my bad, should have read your tag

i hunt in Huntingtown and there is someone off Hardesty Rd.that shoots every weekend. I checked and Maryland tax assessments and the person only has 3ac and he shoots a lot I just hope in your new place your neighbor isn't some ass from like Montgomery Co

Yea I really hope so too. I'm going to be as considerate as I can (shooting mostly suppressed during the day time) but we'll see. There are a few houses that border the property line about 300+ yards away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom