• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDPOLICE

Apr 1, 2010
    I know. It's not what even I expected, and it may be atypical. It's a bunch of little things that add up.

I'm in one of the original Levitt houses, in Belair. It is a much better-built place than what I had in Columbia. Gas heat: so, in the winter, we can get, you know, warm. I gained a bathroom and a garage for the same $.

I have a retired navy chief on one side of me and a network engineer on the other. Across the street are other families with similar backgrounds. We all helped each other shovel out of the snow, together. In Columbia, I had thug wannabes and more and more multi-multi-family houses surrounding me. And Columbia's wonderful system of paths provided ideal escape routes for the increasing vandalism and other petty crime.

In Bowie, I can put a fridge or a sofa bed or nearly any other combination of stuff out on the curb for twice a week pickup, not including recyclables and yard waste... which have their own dedicated weekly pickups. In Columbia, I could put out 3 bags a week that couldn't weigh more than whatever they felt like picking up, based on whim.

Groceries and gas are cheaper. I found an honest mechanic that does good work at sane prices. Berwyn and PG Trap and Skeet are nearby. Annapolis shopping smokes Columbia's and takes no longer to get there.

Closer to the beach. No Columbia Association (I get to pick where I build my shed--shocking). I can do something whacky/crazy like... grow vegetables... in my yard.

I've met and like the mayor and the police chief. The Bowie police have been courteous, responsive, and professional whenever I've dealt with them. I have more wildlife runnin' through the back yard (which is, imo, cool).

#1 reason: No one is baiting me to strangle them for their "Choose Civility in Bowie" bumper sticker.

Like I said, lots of little things make it preferable to where we were (notice I never claimed it to be a great place to be and/or raise a family). I will say that the public schools are inexcusable, but much of Columbia's are as well. And there are parts of it where I really don't need to go... which isn't odd considering how big Bowie is.

If I was moving here fresh, I'd really try for the Eastern Shore as I think that's about as good as MD gets.

Good to know. I live in HoCo like you once did, except in Ellicott City. I am looking to move out because it is getting too expensive around here and I want to live somewhere that is closer in proximity to where I work. I actually looked into Bowie because of its proximity to work and because it is substantially cheaper. I know there are parts of Columbia that can be pretty bad, but I figured Bowie would be worse so I haven't seriously considered living there. However, I do know there are some good areas of Bowie to live, which is why I asked where about in Bowie you reside in. If you don't mind sending me a PM letting me know what part of Bowie you live in I'd appreciate it.

#1 reason: No one is baiting me to strangle them for their "Choose Civility in Bowie" bumper sticker.

LOL

MDPOLICE

Apr 1, 2010
    hey Randy, I got your message, thanks. For some reason it's not letting me send one back.

Do you know anything about the Q Section?

64Post

Mar 30, 2010
    Millers Island, MD
    Having serious sticker shock... should've stayed here... $2500/mo. ++ to get a house with a garage and decent off-street parking? Then have to carry 2 insurance policies (master and renters) on the property? $200-$500 repair deductibles? WTF?

Wow, have things changed back there...

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hey 64!!

Down here by me isn't too bad and by way of the Key Bridge the traffic wouldn't be bad for the wifey but it would be 35-40 minutes to White Marsh. Severna Park (a little more expensive but deals can be found), Millersville, Pasadena and the southern part of Glen Burnie are all pretty good/decent areas and rated in that order IMO.

Also might want to look across the border into PA or up in the Northern part of MD. My sister live in Hanover PA and it's a great place, property is cheaper and bigger plus it's a free state. Not sure if you race regular but Cecil County dragway is up North and MIR (budd's Creek) is farther south, I'm pretty much right in the middle. And there's Capital raceway near me but it's not the best run or upkept track but it's okay, lots of clicks and favoritism there......

64Post

Mar 30, 2010
    Millers Island, MD
    Hey 64!!

Down here by me isn't too bad and by way of the Key Bridge the traffic wouldn't be bad for the wifey but it would be 35-40 minutes to White Marsh. Severna Park (a little more expensive but deals can be found), Millersville, Pasadena and the southern part of Glen Burnie are all pretty good/decent areas and rated in that order IMO.

Also might want to look across the border into PA or up in the Northern part of MD. My sister live in Hanover PA and it's a great place, property is cheaper and bigger plus it's a free state. Not sure if you race regular but Cecil County dragway is up North and MIR (budd's Creek) is farther south, I'm pretty much right in the middle. And there's Capital raceway near me but it's not the best run or upkept track but it's okay, lots of clicks and favoritism there......

Hey Todd. I'd like to hit the tracks, but I need to freshen my motor. Moving to a house with no garage and a gravel driveway kills that plan. Probably end up giving the car away for pennies on the dollar and just move on.

Thanks to everyone for the their 2 cents. My wife found a house on Miller's Island not too far from her sisters place. Small house with no garage, but it's the second house from the water (the landlord has the first house) and it's close to the state park. There might even be some access to the water for our Lab; he's going to love it.

Stitch81

Mar 27, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Edgemere isn't a bad area especially if you can find a happy medium between the noise from sparrows point and the fact that it still tries to keep a small town type appearence. I haven't seen much crime in the area minus the occasional hold up at one of the two convienence stores.

RonInMD

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 22, 2010
    Have been lurking here for a few weeks, and JFC it looks like the whole state is infested with gangs and thugs. Every area that used to be decent is now ruined. What the hell happened?

My wife is already there. She's staying with her sister in Edgemere. She's been looking for a rental, but really isn't having too much luck. Looks like I'm going to be going to prison or the morgue soon after I arrive because I'm not taking this crap.

Any suggestions out there (other than to stay here)?

Move to Virginia and commute. They don't have the restrictive gun laws that maryland does.

navycrna

Smell My Face
    Feb 28, 2007
    howard county
    Money magazine named Columbia/Ellicott City the #2 place to live in the country because of schools/crime rate/median income etc. Google it for the article.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom