• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Buy or rent a 2 wheeled dolly with a capacity over 600 lbs. Make sure you strap it in place. Clear your path in advance, including any loose rugs.

Does the door come off? Many of them will lift right off. It is easier to move a 500lb safe and a 100lb door separately.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    A buddy and I moved a 900 pound safe just the two of us. We moved it out of my rancher and into my new house.

Your biggest issue is going to be steps. I made a ramp to get us down the 3 steps we had to deal with. After that, it was easy.

Back in 2013, I watched a video of a guy moving a massive safe around a garage without a problem by just sliding a dolly underneath it. He wasn't actually gripping the dolly, but using the top of the safe on the opposite side of the dolly to put the weight on the dolly and then roll it. Pretty much what my buddy and I did, and then what my wife and I did once we got the safes to this house. My wife would pull up lightly on the dolly and I would push from the other side.

Another trick is to use PVC pipes under the safe to allow it to roll along. Lift up one end with the dolly and slide the pipe underneath. Continue adding pipe as you roll it along.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    You'll be able to do it easily, you'll just need to pickup a specialized tool for that job... a case of beer. Get some buddies and give them beer as payment for helping you move it. Many hands make light work.

tenor-1.gif

coinboy

Yeah, Sweet Lemonade.
    Oct 22, 2007
    Howard County
    So...

Depending if it's level.

When we moved my safe, the safe mover had a dolly. He also used about 1 inch PVC pipes cut about the width of the safe as rollers on the carpet. Keep feeding a pvc pipe underneath and easily roll it into place.

As for the steps, he used an automatic stair climber dolly.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    He also used about 1 inch PVC pipes cut about the width of the safe as rollers on the carpet. Keep feeding a pvc pipe underneath and easily roll it into place.
    that's how our movers did it. lowered it off the truck onto pvc pipes. rolled it from the truck down into the backyard and over to our french doors at our basement then thru our rec room and into the back room then stood it up. well heavier i believe than 600#.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom