• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have tried a couple times to get the information from the new PD for my Curio application, they are not forthcoming and little help.

You don't need them for your C&R application. You merely drop off a notification to the head LEO, and he circular-files it. If you prefer, I believe you can send it to the head of MSP, or your local sheriff, or any LE organisation that has any jurisdiction in your neck of the woods.

Arcamm

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Here's the text form the Planning commission agenda;

• Text Amendment – Ordinance 2016-26 – Recommendation to Town Council
    An Ordinance proposed to restrict the sale of alcohol, tobacco or fire arms to the Downtown Zone, Limited Commercial, Community Commercial and Industrial zoning districts if and to the extent otherwise permitted in those zones as a use of right or a conditional (special exception) use and subject to applicable laws and licenses.

I don't know if this means you would need a special exception or not.

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County

An Ordinance proposed to restrict the sale of alcohol, tobacco or fire arms to the Downtown Zone, Limited Commercial, Community Commercial and Industrial zoning districts if and to the extent otherwise permitted in those zones as a use of right or a conditional (special exception) use and subject to applicable laws and licenses.

So it sounds like the gun shack is ok and probably WM? Does this read just to keep FFL out of residential areas unless you jump through many hoops?

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy

reading this gives me a headache. wtf do they mean exactly? What does this mean to the GunShack and to the new distillery opening on Main St?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Oh, what tangled webs we weave, when we practice to deceive. But don't worry, the sheeple will fall right in line....

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    How are they planning to do this? Zoning law?

Gotta be. It's the only way they can do it.

Here's an old ruling on State preemption.
    http://www.leagle.com/decision/1985842302Md540_1795/MONTGOMERY COUNTY v. ATLANTIC GUNS, INC.?

[ MONTGOMERY COUNTY v. ATLANTIC GUNS, INC. No. 157, September Term, 1983.]

and there is this ruling regarding Chicago zoning ordinances for gun control

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=205206

Last edited:

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I have links to the agenda and the proposed ordinance:

I hope my upload works (I am a complete computer idiot)

I also just spoke to Crosswinds/Gun Shack and sent everything to them. They were not aware of this.

Attachments

• Mt Airy firearms ban.pdf
      30.1 KB · Views: 253
    • Ordinance 2016-27 Prohibited Uses - intro Dec 2016.pdf
      17.8 KB · Views: 220

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Jeez D, its 39 pages of legal jargon.

Wanna "cliff note" me and tell me what to look for. I'm not going to read 39 pages to them at the meeting.

2A Maryland

Dec 7, 2016
    Towson, MD
    Copy of the Mt. Airy Ordinance 27-2016

Here is a copy of the Ordinance. Oddly, I had to fill out a PIA form to get it. Once I did that, the file was sent immediately.

View attachment Mt_Airy_2016-27.pdf

Click here to join the 2A Maryland Email list.

Click here for the 2A Maryland Web Page

The "hearing" is the Planning Commission
    110 South Main Street, across from the Gun Shack
    Monday, the 30th at 7 pm.

Hearing is open to the public but I am uncertain if testimony will be given.

Last edited:

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    I have been digging in to this since I heard about it.

I just spoke to someone at the Town Hall, I will keep her name out of it for now. From her tone, this Ordinance is already written in stone.

I wanted to get an explanation of the ordinance to clarify it enough for me to understand.

Basically, as described to me, it will not change the way things are done in any of their commercial or business zoned areas, and supposedly will not effect any current (or possible future) businesses in those zones.

What it WILL effect is anyone wanting to conduct these types (ATF) OUTSIDE of these zones, most notably in residential areas.

Now here is the kicker...when I asked her what the "special exception" was, she explained that they give special permits to folks like hair dressers who have only one chair in their home or dog groomers, that type of thing, and will continue to do so, just not for the listed type (ATF stuff).

When I asked if she was aware that an FFL holder is more regulated than a hair dresser, she really didn't care and told me this was not a 2nd Amendment issue. She asked if I had talked to all the people in the neighborhoods that want this. I told her no, and asked what kinds of problems they were having. She said they have a litany of problems with it, but could not tell me a single one.

I told her that my concern as a County resident was this type of fear based thought moving into my county. She didn't care, and suggested I voice my concerns at the meeting. She asked if I was a town resident. I told her my daughter and son-in-law are and that I am not, and when she heard I was not, I could hear her shut down.

She then referred me to Councilman Scott Strong if I wanted to continue asking questions, and said she was done with the conversation (or argument as she put it). She did not have a contact number for him, so I have emailed him and asked him to call me for further explanation. If he calls me, I'll post more.

As far as I am concerned, from the tone of the call, the mindset has moved in to the county and Monday will put its nose under the tent. If County residents want to fight this mindset, Monday night would be a good battlefield to show up on.

fogman

I'm not a town or county resident but I did sent an email, got the "you are misinformed" in 3 responses. I let them know that the town of Mt Airy won't receive any of my business if this passes, obviously they don't want my ilk in their town.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom