Mossberg MVP 556 patrol - casing ejection limp ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Just picked up the brand new rifle yesterday. I recycle the magazine just to see how well it reject the casing. I am surprised how limp the rejection is. I pull hard on the bolt, yet the casing barely come out. Most of the time, I have to tilt the chamber to drop the casing.

This is my 2nd bolt action rifle (patriot 308 my other one). That one reject quite well.

I called Mossberg tech support and explained. She said it is not normal and ask me to ship it back.

I just curious if this is bad sign of the overall reliability of the rifle ?

What is your experience of MVP patrol ?

Many thanks

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Some reloaders would consider this desireable.

There is that. My AR-15 really kicks them hard. Looking over my casings about 1 in 7 is dented, but I think they are hitting my shelf deflector as it gets a little brassed. Only had it at the range once, but I put about 100rnds through it.

From the bench most of my casings were at my neighbor's feet one bench down, about 10 feet away.

My Sako forester also knocks them hard even when I pull the bolt slowly. The 2nd to last round tends to fall back in if I don't pull at least medium hard, but 1-3 and 5 all kick out a few feet if I don't put my hand over the port to catch the casing.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Mossberg tech support is very good. I called and explain the weak ejection. The girl sent me a shipping label and I fedex it.

All my 556 (Ruger mini 14, all Ar15) kick really hard and assuring. In fact one time a shooter next to me asked if I can move to the next bench because the casing rain on them.

Even my Mossberg patriot 308 (recently brought, my 1st bolt action) reject decently. Not flying off like AR but good.

So I hope the Mossberg 556 patrol is just some minor issue, else I will be very very disappointed. When I pull it simply dropped inside the chamber.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Not to be a vocabulary nazi , but you are refering to Eject . Reject is not used in firearms context, it would be too ambigous with failure to chamber or possibly failure to feed.

Elite84

Oct 29, 2008
    You were just cycling the rounds? If so it could be you are ejecting cartridge and not an empty casing. There would be a weight difference on the ejector. I would have tried shooting it first.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I shot my MVP yesterday and didn't have an eject problem as long as I pulled back the bolt with a bit of speed. If I slowly pulled it back it didn't eject well. Pull it out like you did when you were 16 man!

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I shot my MVP yesterday and didn't have an eject problem as long as I pulled back the bolt with a bit of speed. If I slowly pulled it back it didn't eject well. Pull it out like you did when you were 16 man!

Sorry, need more explanation please.....:rolleyes:

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You were just cycling the rounds? If so it could be you are ejecting cartridge and not an empty casing. There would be a weight difference on the ejector. I would have tried shooting it first.

Semi-resurrect, but yeah. My .308 Sako ejects empty casings like a liberal from a Trump rally if I give the bolt some authority (from a bench it'll kick them 4-5 feet to the side). If I go slow and careful it'll barely plop them on the table. Full cartridges even with authority the last round almost always drops back in the chamber and the others might go a foot. Pulling back slowly and it is 50/50 on if it ejects the cartridge or it falls back in the chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom