• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    After living in Montgomery County for 39 years, I would have to say there is no hope. ..........

Here are some interesting quick facts about our [Montgomery Co] changing demographics:

One-third of Montgomery County residents were born outside of the United States
    Montgomery County is the number one destination in the United States for people from Ethiopia and Cameroon, and is the number two destination for immigrants from the continent of Africa (second only to Los Angeles)
    The top five countries of origin for people born abroad and living in the County are El Salvador, Mainland China, India, Ethiopia, and Korea
    There are more than 15 census tracts in Montgomery County in which English is the second most spoken language
    Among all counties in the United States, Montgomery County ranks number four in the number of French speakers and speakers of African Languages, number nine in Persian speakers, number 13 in Korean and Armenian, number 14 in Greek, Thai and Hebrew, and number 15 in Chinese speakers

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Here are some interesting quick facts about our [Montgomery Co] changing demographics:

Montgomery County is the number one destination in the United States for people from Ethiopia and Cameroon, and is the number two destination for immigrants from the continent of Africa (second only to Los Angeles)
    The top five countries of origin for people born abroad and living in the County are El Salvador, Mainland China, India, Ethiopia, and Korea
    There are more than 15 census tracts in Montgomery County in which English is the second most spoken language
    Among all counties in the United States, Montgomery County ranks number four in the number of French speakers and speakers of African Languages, number nine in Persian speakers, number 13 in Korean and Armenian, number 14 in Greek, Thai and Hebrew, and number 15 in Chinese speakers

Source? Would like to show this to someone.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Here is the thing, my parents are immigrants from Italy. So, they would probably fall into this demographic of being an immigrant. Now, they do speak English as their primary language, with an Italian accent still. However, they speak Italian when they are among their Italian friends and my dad speaks his dialect when he is with his family members.

I have no issue with legal immigration. In fact, the best techs that my wife had at the Walmart pharmacy in Frederick were immigrants. One from Cambodia and another from Ghana. They could not believe the work ethic of some of the American natives, and the black man from Ghana could not wrap his head around American blacks.

People that immigrate legally to America are mostly coming here for the opportunity America still presents, and they seize it when they get here.

What is really disturbing about Montgomery County is the flight of wealth away from the county. Granted, having a large number of immigrants causes this too. Those immigrants are not coming to America because they are rich, but in the hope that they can make a better life for themselves by coming here.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Moms Demand Action, speaking at the PTA meeting 4/5 evening. May show up with a Trump shirt ( 1/3 the school illegals) and a Ruger cap.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Moms Demand Action, speaking at the PTA meeting 4/5 evening. May show up with a Trump shirt ( 1/3 the school illegals) and a Ruger cap.

1. Doesn't the PTA have PTA business to address, rather than hosting outside third party speakers with political lobbying agendas? Is it even permitted? Would MSI be welcomed"

2. If you show up like that, they probably won't hesitate to ask you to leave so they can conduct their meeting and action items in private, without your "disruption."

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Back in 82 I graduated from the Old Montgomery Blair HS on Wayne Ave here in Silver Spring. 3 years before that I went to a private christan boarding school in western NC about 25 miles south of Ashville. It has also a hospital and farm their as well. Those of us who were not local students lived in dorms. Their was a girls dorm and a mens dorm. I went to school in the morning and worked in the hospital in the afternoon to help pay off my school bill. My senior year i had to come home to Montgomery county ps due to money reasons. I could not believe what they were teaching in 12th grade. Everything they were teaching seniors back then were subjects that I already had the past 3 years going to a private school. Needless to say I was home by noon time being in the work study program. I worked in the afternoon, got a paycheck and still got school credits for working as well. When my son went to the new Montgomery Blair HS I could not believe the large it was. They had to build a new Blair because their was not enough room for the students who had come to the US. My son was the minority in that school. His school counselor was a teacher I had over 20yrs ago when I went to Blair. He told me nothing has changed and in fact english was a 2cd language to over 3/4 of the students their not to mention overall test scores went down as well. It seems to me Mont Co. has more people who have migrated here then who was born here and they got all the free handouts from the MGA as well. No way in heck do they want to change that at all. Mabe, Mont and PG should become their own state, heck they do not care about the rest of it....

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    1. Doesn't the PTA have PTA business to address, rather than hosting outside third party speakers with political lobbying agendas? Is it even permitted? Would MSI be welcomed"

2. If you show up like that, they probably won't hesitate to ask you to leave so they can conduct their meeting and action items in private, without your "disruption."

Isn't MoCo a sanctuary?

I'm a PTA member, they won't ask. The issue is children and gun safety. On the face of it, nothing wrong with that. Yes Montgomery is a sanctuary county. 1/3 of Montgomery residents were born outside the USA. Within a few years, grade schools will be majority English as a second language. The grade schools are now 50% Hispanic. One thought I have, is in the 50's 60's when we (sister and I) went to school, most all the parents were (property) tax payers, it's not that way any longer. The rubber band has to snap.. The schools were not over crowded with families who were not funding the system. Today, my boys school, over half receive free breakfast and lunch. The county has really went off the tracks on what people it wants inspire to settle here.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    I'm a PTA member, they won't ask. The issue is children and gun safety. On the face of it, nothing wrong with that. Yes Montgomery is a sanctuary county. 1/3 of Montgomery residents were born outside the USA. Within a few years, grade schools will be majority English as a second language. The grade schools are now 50% Hispanic. One thought I have, is in the 50's 60's when we (sister and I) went to school, most all the parents were (property) tax payers, it's not that way any longer. The rubber band has to snap.. The schools were not over crowded with families who were not funding the system. Today, my boys school, over half receive free breakfast and lunch. The county has really went off the tracks on what people it wants inspire to settle here.

Unless things have changed, the Bethesda/Chevy Chase/Potomac crowd who wield the real power and influence, and who don't deal daily with the non-government employee "riff-raff" from Rockville/ Sil. Spg./Wheaton/ Gaithersburg/ Germantown except as contractors, restaurant workers, and service providers to service their needs promptly, like it just fine. It works for them and that's all that matters. Maybe someday, way down the road, they'll have to build a wall around Beth/ChCh/Pot. Or they'll do like they've done in Johannesburg and Pretoria: mansions surrounded by steel and concrete walls topped with barbed wire and broken glass.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    But, but, but ...

2016 Best Public High Schools in Maryland

Ranking factors include state test scores, college readiness, graduation rates, SAT/ACT scores, teacher quality, student and parent reviews, and more <like Administration & Policies>.

12 of the top 20 high schools are in MoCo, as are the TOP 5. But, the devil is in the details.

Click on '1st in MD' Poolesville High School - Student Culture & Diversity, rated A+. Compare it to '73rd in MD' Wheaton High School - Student Culture & Diversity, or '87th in MD' Seneca Valley High School - Student Culture & Diversity, but they are ONLY rated an 'A-'. Especially compared to '99th in MD' Easton High School - Student Culture & Diversity with a 'B+'.

Like Stalin said about 'who counts votes' ... :innocent0

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

Check out how many MoCo schools have Free or Reduced Lunch programs on the Student Culture & Diversity links from 2016 Best Public High Schools in Maryland I cited. The national average is 51%.

Let THAT sink in ... 51%. Wheaton is at 58.9%

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Just got email from PTA announcing the "Gun talk", note the disclaimer;

This presentation is focused on gun safety and will not discuss politics, laws, or policies related to gun ownership and use. The goal of the BeSmart campaign is to reduce unintentional shootings when children get their hands on unsecured guns.

If I read the last sentence correctly, then the only option would be teaching your children about guns. What not to do.. Didn't the evil NRA's Eddie Eagle cover that for decades now?

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013

If I read the last sentence correctly, then the only option would be teaching your children about guns. What not to do.. Didn't the evil NRA's Eddie Eagle cover that for decades now?

Point made, and they should listen.

That organization exists solely for the purpose of politics, to enact laws and policies to ban and restrict gun ownership. Not to make a presentation as expressed in that statement.

What, if anything, qualifies that organization to address how to "...reduce unintentional shootings when children get their hands on unsecured guns."?

In fact, it is uniquely unqualified, because its hoplophobic message discourages learning about and promoting gun safety.

Prior to the meeting, it should be required to show its credentials, and submit its presentation for screening to make sure that it complies with the stated intention and is devoid of politics, policies, and promoting new or changed laws.

Otherwise the PTA notice appears to be misleading.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010

When are you doing your talk ?

MSI used to have gun safety 'comic books' on the order of Eddie Eagle that you could distribute. I'm not sure if any are still available, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll check.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Another PTA email... someone is riled up over there.. here's the message;
    To be fair, I don't read any gun grabbing in to the message..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom