Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Today is the day. Somehow they nearly got enough fools to get them close to their monetary target.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Wish it was a little closer. Still got that Turk Mauser with the sticky bolt. 90 mile round trip and three hours of my time.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    Today is the day. Somehow they nearly got enough fools to get them close to their monetary target.

Call me a fool.

It was an interesting experience, only a 20 minute drive and took no more than 5 minutes on site. Must have been a dozen LEO on site, parking lot was setup one way in and out. There were two LEOs out front directing traffic to the back entrance. Two LEOs at the entrance asked what my business was, what I had and asked if they were all unloaded. Then 50 feet further down the drive one more LEO asks the same questions and got the same answers. Then to a couple of awnings with tables, a gaggle of LEOs and stack of Dunkin Donuts boxes. No joke!

I told them all what I had at least three times, two (probably) functional 22 rifles, a non functional 12 ga shot gun and a broken down Civil War era BP pistol. I felt guilty turning these antiques over but they were all in rough shape. They were left to me and had no sentimental value, but, you know, they had history. Unfortunately after hours of searching, I didn't find them to have any value and I have too much junk of my own so I figured if I could get $200 for the 22s, it would be worth the time.

The LEOs didn't ask any other questions and ack'd the condition of the non functioning pieces. One LEO gave me a sheet that said I turned in 3 long guns and 1 pistol. No notation about the condition. I was then directed up to the church where I gave the sheet to an older (than me even) gentleman who handed me a stack of flyers saying "here's the propaganda," looked at my sheet and handed me FOUR $100 Giant Foods gift cards.

To honor what I turned in, I'll be spending the net gain on one of these as soon as there's a new production run. (Assuming it makes onto the roster.)
    ca1000-1858newmodarmy-navyconv-8sq.jpg

gerding100

Dec 12, 2023
    Manheim PA
    Call me a fool.

It was an interesting experience, only a 20 minute drive and took no more than 5 minutes on site. Must have been a dozen LEO on site, parking lot was setup one way in and out. There were two LEOs out front directing traffic to the back entrance. Two LEOs at the entrance asked what my business was, what I had and asked if they were all unloaded. Then 50 feet further down the drive one more LEO asks the same questions and got the same answers. Then to a couple of awnings with tables, a gaggle of LEOs and stack of Dunkin Donuts boxes. No joke!

I told them all what I had at least three times, two (probably) functional 22 rifles, a non functional 12 ga shot gun and a broken down Civil War era BP pistol. I felt guilty turning these antiques over but they were all in rough shape. They were left to me and had no sentimental value, but, you know, they had history. Unfortunately after hours of searching, I didn't find them to have any value and I have too much junk of my own so I figured if I could get $200 for the 22s, it would be worth the time.

The LEOs didn't ask any other questions and ack'd the condition of the non functioning pieces. One LEO gave me a sheet that said I turned in 3 long guns and 1 pistol. No notation about the condition. I was then directed up to the church where I gave the sheet to an older (than me even) gentleman who handed me a stack of flyers saying "here's the propaganda," looked at my sheet and handed me FOUR $100 Giant Foods gift cards.

To honor what I turned in, I'll be spending the net gain on one of these as soon as there's a new production run. (Assuming it makes onto the roster.)
    ca1000-1858newmodarmy-navyconv-8sq.jpg
    Hey FN, just curious… I’m a PA resident who spent decades in MD but left before the Bolsheviks got their talons in so deep… do guns made before 1899 need to appear on “the roster”, or do we need State permission to buy halbards, cats-o-nine tails, etc. (Asking for family we left behind….)

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hey FN, just curious… I’m a PA resident who spent decades in MD but left before the Bolsheviks got their talons in so deep… do guns made before 1899 need to appear on “the roster”, or do we need State permission to buy halbards, cats-o-nine tails, etc. (Asking for family we left behind….)

No, guns made before then aren’t considered firearms (I don’t believe)
    Besides, the roster is only for guns manufactured after 1984 or 1985 I believe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It's only required for guns made after 1984, I think

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    The rules of interest to me only apply to handguns, there is a separate rules for long guns. If you want to buy a gun it has to be on the roster, which I have applied the Cimarron below for (see https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/...-to-the-maryland-register.283525/post-7446764) and there is a Disapproved List.

The Maryland Handgun Roster is established under Public Safety Article 5. Sections 404-405 define membership and functions of the Roster Review Board. Section 406, given below, explains the Handgun Roster itself.

§5–406.
    (a) (1) Except as provided in § 5-402 of this subtitle, a person may not manufacture for distribution or sale a handgun that is not included on the handgun roster in the State.
    (2) A person may not sell or offer for sale in the State a handgun manufactured after January 1, 1985, that is not included on the handgun roster.

Curious if anyone knows or knows how to find out. Did Giant Foods donate these cards or did the church use money from their own coffers to purchase the cards?
    As 501st alluded to, the church solicited it's members and the public for the funding.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    C&R eligible handguns don't even need an HQL to purchase. So if you refuse to get your HQL then just buy handguns made more than 50 years ago. That is how my wife got her CMP 1911 without an HQL.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Anything after 1985 needs to be on the handgun roster to be sold in Maryland. Anything manufactured 1984 and before is not required to be on the handgun roster.

gerding100

Dec 12, 2023
    Manheim PA
    C&R eligible handguns don't even need an HQL to purchase. So if you refuse to get your HQL then just buy handguns made more than 50 years ago. That is how my wife got her CMP 1911 without an HQL.
    That’s terrific. Just remember we’re coming up on (or maybe we’ve passed?) a Big Fifty date for the S&W Model 29-2. All those old 1911s, 45 (Long) Colt revolvers, and 455 Webleys. Dirty Harry and John Wayne would accommodate to the current laws just fine, but they might wonder about us smaller caliber polymer guys nowadays.

Coehorn

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 26, 2024
    Baltimore County
    Foolish!

Trading good guns for a hundred bucks.

That percussion lock derringer would easily have sold for 200 bucks and no paperwork.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom