Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Sometimes the stuff handed in, like the 1st Gen SAA mentioned above, is a pre-1899 antique, and those could legally be bought and transferred cash on the spot. And almost certainly resold for more than you paid for it.
    Yea, but that is a far stretch.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I don't have any functional guns I would be willing to let go for $100... sorry... pound sand.
    I do have a Turkish Mauser with a sticking bolt. Beautiful wood and a really nice bore. Have shot it several times but the bolt is obviously mismatched. Passes headspace (I have 8mm gauges).

That was one of the rifles I reluctantly brought to the last Pikesville area gun buyback, couldn’t fathom the long line and wait.

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    I might know where a 80% semi m11 is, I would take 200 for it. Whom ever :innocent6: built it back in the day did a horrible job. It does work its just ugly as hell

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I do have a Turkish Mauser with a sticking bolt. Beautiful wood and a really nice bore. Have shot it several times but the bolt is obviously mismatched. Passes headspace (I have 8mm gauges).

That was one of the rifles I reluctantly brought to the last Pikesville area gun buyback, couldn’t fathom the long line and wait.
    Sell the wood for more than the turn in. Then turn in the turd.

gerding100

Dec 12, 2023
    Manheim PA
    Nothing for mags...?

There was one last year they were giving something like $50 per "high cap" mag. If I wasn't so impatient at waiting in lines, I would have made a couple thousand dollars that day, just selling brand new Magpuls still in the plastic!

That reminds me, I've gotta grab a couple more from PSA in Savannah and Green Top in Ashland on my way home next month.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
    Just don’t let’em see the receipt with today’s date as the purchase date…

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Haven't seen it mentioned yet, also note the next-to-last paragraph

Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20​

The D.C. Area Interfaith Gun Violence Prevention Network is collaborating with the Montgomery County Sheriff and State’s Attorney to organize a gun buyback event on Saturday, April 20, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

The event will take place in the parking lot of the United Church of Christ of Seneca Valley at 13421 Clopper Rd. in Germantown.

Established in 2017, the Interfaith GVP Network comprises volunteers from over 40 churches, synagogues, mosques, and temples actively engaged in gun violence prevention efforts, working alongside congregants, clergy, and other advocates to address and mitigate gun violence issues.

Partner organizations supporting this initiative include the United Church of Christ of Seneca Valley and Pax Christi Metro DC-Baltimore.

According to a press release, the April 20 event marks the first upcounty faith-based gun buyback, responding to an increase in gun violence incidents in recent years. Previous successful buybacks were conducted in Baltimore, Rockville, and Upper Marlboro last year.

Community members can anonymously surrender firearms and receive food store gift cards valued at $100 for functional handguns, rifles, and shotguns, and $200 for operational military assault-style weapons and privately made firearms (“ghost guns“). No identification is required, and law enforcement follows a no-questions-asked policy. The Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office will assess the firearms, and the Interfaith GVP Network will determine gift card eligibility while providing gun safety guidance.

Montgomery County Sheriff Maxwell Uy guarantees that all surrendered guns will be permanently destroyed with no components repurposed. Participants must stay in their vehicles, transport unloaded firearms in the trunk, and are prohibited from having ammunition in the guns. The sponsors may restrict the number of gift cards per individual, irrespective of the weapons surrendered. Non-functional firearms and ammunition will be accepted without compensation exchange. Gift card availability is limited.

Additionally, the Interfaith GVP Network is seeking financial backing from Montgomery County businesses, network members, faith groups, foundations, county offices, and the public to support this buyback. The goal is to raise a minimum of $30,000 to remove at least 300 guns from the streets, amounting to an average of $100 per gun.

If they want to “buy back” the guns, why did they sell them in the first place?

Change of heart?

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member

Montgomery County Gun Buyback: Interfaith GVP Network Aims to Hit $30,000 Goal by April 20​

Thanks for posting. A family friend that had a couple 22 rifles and a shot gun from some great grand father that have offspring with no interest in firearms so they left them with me. They have history and are well used antiques and might look good framed on the wall if you are into that sort of thing, but if I could get $300, that would get me halfway to my next wheel gun.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I have a 16G single shot that’s worth $75 tops. But I can’t sell it because of the stupid transfer fees. $100 gift card might just work.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    FTF transfers were indeed legal. Handguns went FFL transfer only in 96 I think. Long guns went FFL transfer what, 2 years ago.
    Now, both have to go through an FFL/MSP for a legal transfer.
    MSP only does handguns, not long gun transfers.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I honestly can't see any FFL doing this and incurring the wrath of the MSP.
    MSP never had an issue with it back in 2013, 2014, and 2015 when we had one at several different "buy backs" for handguns.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom