• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Sorry to hear fair has gone so far down. Being born and raised in Monkey county it was very big deal and good fun in my childhood and early teenage years. But we moved away to the shore in the '60's but had family that was still very active and involved for their entire lives. Guess I need to stop living in the past...

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Gotcha, my grandfather showed draft horses there, and all the other surrounding county fairs for years. I helped him at many in the 90’s and early 2000’s. Thought we might have know each other.
    We used to really enjoy the draft horse pulling competitions. Those big guys are amazing.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    We used to really enjoy the draft horse pulling competitions. Those big guys are amazing.
    Yes they are. Howard county fair’s horse pull was yesterday. I’ll be watching at the state fair.
    I’ll be helping at the pull at Frederick fair in September. Last year I was a Jude as they give away a sportsman’s award. My wife and I sometimes are the line judges there and do the measurements and moving of the chains.

At the state fair they also do miniature horse pull. pound for pound, they pull more weight than the big drafts! Amazingly strong little fellas.

JRSMD

Sep 4, 2013
    Derwood
    The Montgomery County Fair has gone the way of everything else in this county down the drain. In the late 80s thru about the early 2000s it was a fun and enjoyable experience for all. During the late 2000s and to this day any time after dark the seedy elements come out . Lots of gangs and criminal activity goes on . Cars broken into in the parking lots around the fair grounds rampant drug dealing pick pockets assaults and the like. I know several officers who use to work the fair and have been told by them Montgomery County does not want any of problems exposed to the public. Ask any officer you may know in Montgomery County if they would take their families there. The 4H events are about the only decent thing left at the fair. If you so inclined and want to see how far this county has fallen by all means go visit the fair and see what type of people it draws from the area.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Sorry to hear fair has gone so far down. Being born and raised in Monkey county it was very big deal and good fun in my childhood and early teenage years. But we moved away to the shore in the '60's but had family that was still very active and involved for their entire lives. Guess I need to stop living in the past...
    The md state fair used to be good as well. Then came the Rob and ride.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Hearing about the MoCo fair gives me flashbacks…as a kid my dad owned the local newspaper and during Fair Week I spent my days carrying bundles of newspaper all around the fairgrounds to different locations for fair patrons to pick up. We would make several trips a day doing so with as many bundles of newspapers we could fill the car with. I still remember how my arms were covered in newsprint as were my clothes. Indentured servitude it was I tell ya.

As an adult and a LEO I was at the fair with a buddy I worked with with our wives…we ran into a guy we had arrested who…let’s say…didn’t like us. He didn’t even notice us.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Help me understand. So the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair is privately owned but the owner does not show up when I search on tax records at address 501 Perry?? Who owns it?

Last edited:

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I’ve always understood the property is owned by the City of Gaithersburg. Maybe a different entity owns the event for all I know.
    I always thought that it was owned by the city or county, too. It sounds like a legal maneuver to block firearm carry or gun shows at the fairgrounds and prevent lawsuits on the issue.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I always thought that it was owned by the city or county, too. It sounds like a legal maneuver to block firearm carry or gun shows at the fairgrounds and prevent lawsuits on the issue.

Years back when MoCo tried to ban the Silverado Gun Shows at the fairgrounds they lost in court because the County didn’t have jurisdiction over private property…in this case the City of Gaithersburg. It was ruled that the county could ban gun shows on county property but that was all.

Silverado may have won the battle but lost the war as so many vendors pulled out it became economically unviable.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Thanks for the Heads up JJ. I'm not likely to go, but if I did, I'd have carried.

Used to go to the fair 3-4 times a week when I was a kid. Mom has a lifetime pass, and I did too by being her kid. They took that away around 2000, and suddenly it didn't seem like much fun anymore when I had to pay.

My sister and BIL take two weeks vacation time to work the cheese booth there. There's NO WAY I'd give up that much of my free time to a county that hates me. I wouldn't even do it for a county that I liked, until I had much more free time to play with.

I don't do carnie rides, almost none of the shops have anything to offer me, and I have as much farm stuff at or around home to keep my interests there...so my reasons to go are dwindling.

As to the property question: There's been talk for years of moving the fair to a different location since the one it's on now is so valuable, but they can't seem to find anywhere else to do it. If they go out west too far, nobody from the SE part of the county will go or work it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom