• joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****I used to love going there. I have gone in recent years to help at our IWLA booth. They have food there I don't normally eat but people I go with do so I indulge a bit. I might go this year to help at our booth since we get free admission as well as free food, and other perks like meeting new and interesting people, etc.. Some of my fellow RSO folks volunteer too as they are big into the outdoors as well as trying to introduce kids into stuff like scouting, archery, nature, etc.. Many are dads or grand dads themselves and bring their kids to help as well.

There's good and bad things. The quality of people at the fair has markedly declined and there is a general decline in neatness and civility amongst them. It was rare to see fights and things like two remarkably obese women brawling and yanking their weaves out while men and others cheer them on until security shows up, etc.. Now many people are just rude, cut in line, are cursing very loudly in front of kids, and just not being civilized nor family friendly.

Heck MoCo has gone downhill in many parts over the past few years. Dunno if the people at the fair are mostly from the area but if so - they seem to be from a much lower socio-economic status on average that was definitely in the minority not so long ago. People sneaking in alcohol, smoking weed, and looking like derelicts, poorly and slovenly dressed - sometimes dirty. You still see the prototypical nuclear family, but also a ton of single moms with grandma and kids now. Also used to be a lot of trades people and farmer types with their families - really hard working people, now you see those folks only at the animal/livestock booths and craft areas and that part of the fair seems to be shrinking as I guess the farms either close up or people from the land move away due to retirement, etc..

That fair is definitely a microcosm of how MoCo in general has become - very much haves, and clearly not so much haves that perhaps don't have as many options for advancement or limited skillsets to thrive in a modern economy.

I like the funnel cakes with fruit and the lemonade drinks. Delish! :thumbsup:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    ...Does not want your gun inside the perimeter and will be checking...

Thanks for the heads-up. I have become less and less charmed with the MoCo Fair as the years go by. We used to show horses there, and that was fun in the day.

I'm not interested in the carney rides, the livestock shows are not what they once were, the crafts stuff is mildly interesting to me and more so to my wife, but I no longer need heat, crowds, rural aromas or trudging around form booth to booth. I've seen cows, pigs, chickens, goats and rabbits, raptors and greasy foods. Been there, done that.

The County doesn't want me around, and I'm inclined to return the favor. I'd almost consider leaving the firearm home, but I don't even own a knife shorter than 3" - and a gentleman doesn't go out and about without his Maryland penknife.

Edit: I plumb forgot about my Spyderco Karahawk; 2.35" blade, Emerson wave, pops out of the pocket fully deployed. That would work, in a pinch.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    So if you’re an off duty city of Rockville or takoma park cop you can’t carry but if you’re a federal cop who may live three counties or states away you can carry. Where’s the equity?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    So if you’re an off duty city of Rockville or takoma park cop you can’t carry but if you’re a federal cop who may live three counties or states away you can carry. Where’s the equity?
    Before we discuss equity, we should talk about diversity

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    "The Montgomery County Agricultural Fair has revised its safety/security measures for this year’s event, which takes place August 11th-19th. Per the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair: The Montgomery County Agricultural Fairgrounds is private property and we do not recognize any state or federal issued Concealed or Open Carry Firearm Permit. The Fair is a Family Friendly event that provides agricultural education and entertainment to children of all ages. Carrying firearms, weapons, and inappropriate behavior are prohibited.

Patrons entering the Fairgrounds will pass through metal detectors at each of our General Admission entry gates. These units will be adjusted to detect prohibited weapons and allow timely passage without the need to empty backpacks or pockets. Keys, cell phones, coins and other common items are permissible and will not be detected. Please leave hard, protective sunglass cases home as the metal in these cases will trigger the alarm. Accommodations will be in place at each gate to permit passage of strollers, child carriers, electric mobility chairs and similar devices.

Should a walk-through metal detector or any security official identify the need for further examination, the Fair reserves the right to conduct additional screening of the individual and their bags as a condition of gaining entry or maintaining admitted status on the fairgrounds. Upon entering the Fairgrounds, you accept that Security cameras are in place monitoring and saving activity at all times.

PROHIBITED ITEMS
    1. WEAPONS

Weapons of any kind or objects that appear to be weapons as determined by Security Personnel, are prohibited and may not be brought onto the fairgrounds by any individual.
    EXCEPTIONS:
    A. POCKETKNIVES: A pocketknife with a blade 3 inches or less in length is only considered a weapon when used in an aggressive manner. Knives with blades longer than 3 inches are not permitted on the Fairgrounds.
    B. OFF-DUTY LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS: Off-duty law enforcement officers currently employed by any of the following law enforcement agencies: (1) Montgomery County Police Department; (2) City of Gaithersburg Police Department; (3) the Maryland State Police; or (4) Federal FBI, US Marshal or Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) or Homeland Security agents will be allowed to carry a concealed firearm provided that they show their badge and law enforcement ID to the security officer before proceeding through the metal detector. The following are prohibited from possessing a weapon or firearm on the Fairgrounds: (1) current or former members of the military; or (2) former law enforcement officials; or (3) law enforcement officials from any jurisdiction outside the State of Maryland.
    2. PROHIBITED ITEMS & BEHAVIORS
    Individuals possessing or displaying any of the following items or behaviors may result in removal from the Fairgrounds and possibly issued a No Trespass notice by the Montgomery County Police prohibiting entry onto the Fairgrounds property for one year.
    • Smoking or vaping is not permitted in the following locations on the Fairgrounds or near the entry doors to buildings and events:
    a. Indoor Buildings
    b. Livestock Barns
    c. Kidzone
    d. Rabbit Barn
    e. Poultry Barn
    f. Big Cheese
    g. Ice Cream Parlor
    h. Restrooms
    i. Tents or canopies
    j. Vendor spaces
    k. Grandstand
    l. Pepco Community Stage
    m. Show Rings
    n. Racing Pig show
    o. Carnival Rides
    • Cannabis, although legal in Maryland under specific legal parameters, is not permitted on the
    Fairgrounds.
    • Illegal drugs, and related paraphernalia
    • Alcohol that is not purchased from a registered vendor on the Fairgrounds
    • Pets (service animals are permitted under the specific guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act
    – ADA)
    • Skateboards, hoverboards, roller skates, bicycles, inline skates, foot-powered or electric scooters.
    • Bull horns, air horns, megaphones or similar noise makers or voice amplification devices
    • Drones, UAVs, UASs or any type of remote-controlled craft, car or truck
    • Laser pointers, selfie sticks
    • Gang-related clothes, colors, jewelry; and the display of Gang signs.
    • Any form of apparel including masks, or Furries that conceal a person’s identity.
    If a person is denied entrance due to possession of a prohibited items, they will have the opportunity to discard the items at the security screening area or return the item(s) to their vehicle. Prohibited items turned over to security at the time of entry will be considered confiscated and will not be returned. Those individuals choosing to leave the Fairgrounds will not
    have their parking fee refunded and will need to pay the parking fee again if they choose to return."

Well, so much for MoCo's much-vaunted "Inclusivity." You can't even smoke your newly-legal recreational drugs there. Only the Elite police can carry. Your stuff will be confiscated, you get no refund, better have the approved style sunglass case, you're under surveillance, your State-issued License to carry a weapon is no good here, and forget about a mask; COVID is waiting for you in the crowd.

Have a good time, if you're a sheep. Get ready to be sheared at every opportunity. Otherwise, go elsewhere.

Baaaah.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    The fair has just been way too crowded the last couple times I have gone. Paid about $150 per person to go on unlimited rides, but stood in line for hours to go on about 5 rides max.

I kinda want to go this year to buy a Silkie chicken.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I worked it when I was younger. I eschew crowds now.

I think the last one I went to had George Jones as the headliner. George Jones and demo derbies, what could be better than that?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I stopped going to that fair in the early 80s. It was going downhill from what I grew up with. In the 90s and early 2000s we took our kids to the Howard country fair. Much smaller but it was great. Been wanting to go to the Garrett county fair but it just hasn’t worked out.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    So no foul trying?

If a person is denied entrance due to possession of a prohibited items, they will have the opportunity to discard the items at the security screening area or return the item(s) to their vehicle.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    We went once when we moved here about 11 years ago. Since then, we've done HoCo (small, but less riff-raff) and Frederick which we quite liked last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom