• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigNerd

Feb 24, 2015
    For SB 1? (@esqappellate) Hopefully that Judge is more amenable to issuing a TRO than this one has been.

Hope his honor is enjoying his weekend while our constitutional rights are severely limited…
    We have a 4 in 15 chance of it being a judge appointed by a Republican. You know, for how much we're told that Trump packed the federal courts, the District of Maryland has one Trump appointee, three Biden appointees, and five Obama appointees. I guess no one from DoMD wanted to retire and get replaced by Trump, but damn.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    A TRO is a short-term order to prevent immediate, ongoing harm. IIRC ESQ has posted here he intends to file suit after SB1 becomes law, but before it takes effect. So a preliminary injunction (PI) is what would be sought.
    AFAIK the Governor hasn't signed SB 1 yet (and if he doesn't sign it within a proscribed timeframe it becomes law anyway), but it's set to become effective on 10/1/2023 IIRC.

Athelney878

Jan 9, 2021
    Montgomery County
    “for how much we're told that Trump packed the federal courts, the District of Maryland has one Trump appointee, three Biden appointees, and five Obama appointees. I guess no one from DoMD wanted to retire and get replaced by Trump”

Trump did a great job with the Supreme Court, Circuit Court judges, and lots of (young) judges in federal district courts in states that are red or purple.

But there’s not much he could do with Federal district judges in blue states, because of the Senate’s “blue slip” tradition. Basically, both of a state’s Senators get to informally approve or veto any potential federal district judge nominee in their own state before the rest of the Senate even considers them, by returning or refusing to return the “blue slip” to the Senate Judiciary committee.

Only the Senate could change that, because it’s an internal practice and no Senator wants to risk giving up that power to the president because it is a valuable political bargaining chip in their home state. (A more cynical person might say the Senator wants to pick the judge who would hear his own corruption trial.)

Sometimes Trump was able to get package deals done with Democrats for blue state judges, where the Ds got to pick some and the Rs got to pick some, but that was pretty rare.

So, for people in blue states, we just have to wait sometimes for the cases to get to the circuit or SCOTUS before we get the benefit of the Trump judges.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Trump did a great job with the Supreme Court, Circuit Court judges, and lots of (young) judges in federal district courts in states that are red or purple.

But there’s not much he could do with Federal district judges in blue states, because of the Senate’s “blue slip” tradition. Basically, both of a state’s Senators get to informally approve or veto any potential federal district judge nominee in their own state before the rest of the Senate even considers them, by returning or refusing to return the “blue slip” to the Senate Judiciary committee.

Only the Senate could change that, because it’s an internal practice and no Senator wants to risk giving up that power to the president because it is a valuably political bargaining chip in their home state. (A more cynical person might say the Senator wants to pick the judge who would hear his own corruption trial.)

Sometimes Trump was able to get package deals done with Democrats for blue state judges, where the Ds got to pick some and the Rs got to pick some, but that was pretty rare.

So, for people in blue states, we just have to wait sometimes for the cases to get to the circuit or SCOTUS before we get the benefit of the Trump judges.
    I seem recall them blowing off the "blue slip" bit at least once recently. Made minor news. Don't know if it was Trump or Poopypants

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I seem recall them blowing off the "blue slip" bit at least once recently. Made minor news. Don't know if it was Trump or Poopypants

Correct, it was Trump and it made the news. Senate tradition does not equal law.
    Trump recognized that and nominated conservative judges anyway. Thank god.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    Correct, it was Trump and it made the news. Senate tradition does not equal law.
    Trump recognized that and nominated conservative judges anyway. Thank god.

Here’s where we’re at on things: If a Leftist is appealing to my values or traditions, I can be sure of a couple things: 1) They’re manipulating me and don’t share them; 2) The value(s) they’re appealing to is what they intend to destroy if I allow it.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    So tired of these people playing games with our rights. Here I thought Bruen was going to stop this shit. I guess I was drunk when I had that thought.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So tired of these people playing games with our rights. Here I thought Bruen was going to stop this shit. I guess I was drunk when I had that thought.
    Bruen is a powerful tool to use in court when challenging crap like this. But it’s not a magic shield that prevents legislators from being - or pretending to be - morons.

We cannot possibly solve this problem legislatively in Maryland. That horse is out of the demographic barn, got on a boat, and had one of those boating accidents we hear about. It’s permanently dead.

So we turn to the slow grind of the courts, and now have Bruen at our backs. Yes, requires patience. And money. But we have no other options.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region

I was hoping for the same but these gun grabbers simply doubled down on passing even more authoritarian and unconstitutional laws in response to Bruen.

What were you drinking at the time?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Here’s where we’re at on things: If a Leftist is appealing to my values or traditions, I can be sure of a couple things: 1) They’re manipulating me and don’t share them; 2) The value(s) they’re appealing to is what they intend to destroy if I allow it.

Truth

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom