• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No it isn’t.

Yes it is.

See enumerated powers.

Pretend I also included the Ephifiny quote that RFB is quoting .

The Purpose of Government is to do Really Important Things , that can only be done . or only be done practically , at a Government level .

As constrained by US and State Constitutions .

And yes , More Government is presumptively Bad .

Even if ( XYZ) is a more or less good goal . government at best is extremely inefficient . and often totally screws it up worse than before .

The presumption can be rebuttable , but it needs to be a Really , Really high bar . Both as to the intended purpose . and to the likelihood that Government could actually improve it . And if done . done in least intrusive way possible .

Yes , total Anarchy with Zero Government is a bad thing .

But from our status quo starting point , the need is for rolling back what we already have . not having a net increase .

Significant Rollbacks are probably a Conservatarian pipedream , so our main focus is to hold the line against further growth .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Didnt SCOTUS explicitly state that shit like that was illegal?

Yes , but .....

That will be another round of litigation about setting the parameters of * Undue Burden * . Heck , Round and a half . Challenging both the underlying steps , and the fees thereof .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009

You must compare violent crime rates. No one cares about traffic citations, they care about car jackings, robberies, etc.

To mine existing statistical framework , yes UCR Violent Crime numbers would be relavent . In public perception , residential burglaries and car thefts contribute also .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Didnt SCOTUS explicitly state that shit like that was illegal?
    They mentioned it yes, but they did not rule that they are (yet). The questioned asked and answered had to do with good and substantial, excessive fees are an entirely new question that needs to be challenged and specifically ruled on.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    It's not Tin Foil , if it's True .

The above thinking is what got us where we are now .

The Modern Era Income Tax started it WWI Era . Same arguments were used then .

Only applied to incomes over $100K . ( Equivalent to a hair under $2 Million today ) , so it NEVER effect regular people .

And we know how that turned out once the nose was in the door , and the foot was in the tent .
    Sure. Government also did a whole lot less for people back then too. People died decades younger on average. Medical care wasn't much and cheaper (you were more likely to die if hospitalized than survive up until about WWII). There was no such things as government social supports. And our military was about 1/100th the size it is today. Just cutting our military back to pre-WWI levels would probably mean we could cut out overall taxes 15-20%. Even taking in to account what people pay into local and state taxes.

Keep in mind, in the 19th and early 20th centuries, the primary way states raised money was through property taxes. And they were generally VASTLY higher than they are today in the modern income tax era. In the 18th and 19th centuries they were usually evenly applied on all property (sometimes including on the money you owned, not just physical things and land). So you might be paying a 4-10% tax rate on all your things...including on your money.

Around 1900 states started classifying different property for different tax rates.

Montana in 1910, for example had 7 tax categories of things. Net mine products were taxes at...ONE HUNDRED percent. Money AND credits (so on your loans) were taxed at 7%.

We pay a lower effective federal tax rate (across all federal taxes) today than we have since the great depression. It has gone up and down some, but it has generally trended down since WWII. And the effective corporate tax rate is about a third of what it was just after WWII.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    quoted by lazarus:
    Should government control things that have impacts on others around you. We have the clean air act, clean water act, etc. All because no, people and corporations composed of and run by people, couldn't be trusted to do the right thing. They proved that on those questions.

We decided to write into the bill of rights, a right to keep and bear arms. That this right was more important than the general safety of society. That whether or not we are safer as a society to have access to guns, was not as important as the right to keep in bear arms. The question doesn't matter, because right after founding the country, we decided that the right was more important than answering questions like is it better this or that. It is. I believe we are safer with that right, but my belief doesn't matter. It's a right.

Yes Sir and 100% accurate.. This ^^^^^

We didn't write into the bill of rights that you have the right to pollute as much as you want. Or drive unsafe vehicles. Or act in a reckless manner. Or leave your property as a garbage dump. Or blast music in the middle of the night disturbing your neighbors, Etc.

I want to be left alone by the government. A lot. But I also don't want my neighbor dumping motor oil in the creek. Nor do I want them blasting loud music that the entire neighborhood can hear clearly at 2am.

If all adults were responsible people, it wouldn't be a question. We could live in a utopian society with no rules. No government. We'd all just do the right thing. I've never met that society or large group of people.

ME Little to NO government control. period.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    They mentioned it yes, but they did not rule that they are (yet). The questioned asked and answered had to do with good and substantial, excessive fees are an entirely new question that needs to be challenged and specifically ruled on.
    Start with NYC and Santa Monica, CA as the most egregious and offensive examples:

As for Santa Monica, CA:

According to City staff's report to the Council, LASD currently has approximately 150 applications filed by Santa Monica residents "in various phases of the process." Of those, most -- 83 -- are "in the queue," staff said.

@esqappellate - Would only an applicant have standing?

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    It's a California thing .

To get a Carry Permit , you have to get a Psych Exam to prove you're safe to have a gun .

Yup:

Maryland would love to try this if they could....

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Start with NYC and Santa Monica, CA as the most egregious and offensive examples:

As for Santa Monica, CA:

According to City staff's report to the Council, LASD currently has approximately 150 applications filed by Santa Monica residents "in various phases of the process." Of those, most -- 83 -- are "in the queue," staff said.

@esqappellate - Would only an applicant have standing?
    March 15, 2023 -- Santa Monica residents will pay $617 for a concealed carry weapon (CCW) license after the LA County Sheriff's Department (LASD), which charged $150, stopped processing them for the city.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    If psychological testing on the initial application is required by the licensing authority, the license applicant shall be referred to a licensed psychologist used by the licensing authority for the psychological testing of its own employees. The applicant may be charged for the actual cost of the testing in an amount not to exceed one hundred fifty dollars ($150).

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    March 15, 2023 -- Santa Monica residents will pay $617 for a concealed carry weapon (CCW) license after the LA County Sheriff's Department (LASD), which charged $150, stopped processing them for the city.
    Yup. It's outrageous.

If psychological testing on the initial application is required by the licensing authority, the license applicant shall be referred to a licensed psychologist used by the licensing authority for the psychological testing of its own employees. The applicant may be charged for the actual cost of the testing in an amount not to exceed one hundred fifty dollars ($150).
    Imagine having to sit there with a shrink where anything you say can prevent you from being able to carry... forever.

Maryland would love it if they could implement something like this.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I would say if you live in California, you need a psych exam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    giphy.gif

At this point, yes.

Abagnale

Jan 27, 2022
    Not always so.... I've had meetings with a tax advisor and a financial advisor and making another one with someone who specializes in real-estate sales just to try and get a plan together so that I don't get torally a$$raped on the way out... feels like I'm in the Hotel California. It is likely going to cost me several hundred thousand to escape.
    Yes there is an A$$ raping on the way out of Monkey County. They take a good chunk of any money you might have. We suffered it and left! We are now very glad that we did!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom