• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    I think we've established MoCo cops don't even know this is on the books. We could very well already had W&C ppl pulled over.

My instructor told everyone in the class to admit to carrying lmao.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    I think we've established MoCo cops don't even know this is on the books. We could very well already had W&C ppl pulled over.

Your instructor did?: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/md-gun-laws/

DUTY TO INFORM OFFICER YOU'RE CARRYING?

Do you have a duty to notify a police officer that you're carrying a concealed firearm in Maryland?

No. There is no duty to inform a law enforcement officer that you're carrying a concealed firearm in Maryland.

Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?
    “NO”

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    If that county cop asks if you have any weapons in the car, do NOT lie about it. That's a world of hurt just waiting.
    Based on what I saw/posted, I thought MD had "No duty to inform" that you're carrying? Please correct me here if I'm mistaken on this...

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Based on what I saw/posted, I thought MD had "No duty to inform" that you're carrying? Please correct me here if I'm mistaken on this...
    "Duty to inform" is, essentially, you getting pulled over and volunteering (because you have that duty) that you are carrying. Without being asked. Some states' permits require you to do so. That's a completely separate thing from being ASKED if you're carrying. Having no duty to inform isn't the same as getting to say "no" when the reality is "yes." Now, if you want to go down the rabbit hole of "I have nothing illegal in my car, officer..." even that's a lie (if you're in that no-go-zone) that - if comes out later - means hot water.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    "Duty to inform" is, essentially, you getting pulled over and volunteering (because you have that duty) that you are carrying. Without being asked. Some states' permits require you to do so. That's a completely separate thing from being ASKED if you're carrying. Having no duty to inform isn't the same as getting to say "no" when the reality is "yes." Now, if you want to go down the rabbit hole of "I have nothing illegal in my car, officer..." even that's a lie (if you're in that no-go-zone) that - if comes out later - means hot water.
    That's a good explanation. Thanks.

LuckyShot

Pissing off Liberals
    Apr 13, 2010
    on 270
    Your instructor did?: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/md-gun-laws/

DUTY TO INFORM OFFICER YOU'RE CARRYING?

Do you have a duty to notify a police officer that you're carrying a concealed firearm in Maryland?

No. There is no duty to inform a law enforcement officer that you're carrying a concealed firearm in Maryland.

Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?
    “NO”
    Well aware, my instructor was not great. According to him OC was illegal.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If that county cop asks if you have any weapons in the car, do NOT lie about it. That's a world of hurt just waiting.
    My standard answer is "There is nothing illegal in the car". "I do not answer questions" is also acceptable.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Not so fast there, mister! You were right across the street from the Bethesda Lane county garage. Uncle Julio's is thus a no go zone.

About which, it's sure tempting to not give a single crap, obviously. But pointing out what a minefield Bethesda is.

Not just Bethesda. Rockville. Gaithersburg. Silver Spring. Wheaton. Pretty much everywhere except out in the rural parts which is of course how they want it. I hope these people get the sh*t smacked out of them by a judge.
    It’s a shame they can’t be sued.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Most police don’t even know about the Bruen decision and that MD is shall issue.

I believe it was covered before but your instructor is a moron.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I had a friend whose brother was robbed shot and killed in a Mo Co parking garage in Rockville over 40 years ago.

And with this new law you cannot truthfully answer I have nothing illegal in my car officer if your gun is loaded in your vehicle

delaneyesq

Sep 1, 2011
    Not just Bethesda. Rockville. Gaithersburg. Silver Spring. Wheaton. Pretty much everywhere except out in the rural parts which is of course how they want it. I hope these people get the sh*t smacked out of them by a judge.
    It’s a shame they can’t be sued.

Olney also!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    "Am I being detained?"

In reality, I don't expect to be stopped or questioned unless I've run a stop sign or busted the speed limit. Under those circumstances, I see no reason to discuss anything else.

I don't look threatening, I don't display affiliations on my vehicle or my clothing. There's no reason to question me.

I pay attention to risk/reward considerations.

Sunrise

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2020
    Capital Region
    "Am I being detained?"

In reality, I don't expect to be stopped or questioned unless I've run a stop sign or busted the speed limit. Under those circumstances, I see no reason to discuss anything else.

I don't look threatening, I don't display affiliations on my vehicle or my clothing. There's no reason to question me.

I pay attention to risk/reward considerations.
    Good points.

Great video by Massad Ayoob on this:

scottyfz6

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2018
    When it comes to the legal carry of firearms, if they ask if there is any in the car, yes you should answer honestly. That is what the law says.

Although I think my answer will be " there is nothing in this vehicle that is illegal under state or federal law".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom