Montgomery Co. forces the removal of a little library that resembles a speed camera (Kensington)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    My old neighbor had a little library. It was great it was only filled with kids books and all the kids went there.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    My neighbor set one up. It looks like a big red bird house. They also put a wooden bench next to it so kids and parents ccan sit and leaf through the books. Pretty cool idea.

I really don't know how MoCo was able to take away the gray one that sorta looks like a speed camera. I can understand if it was on an easement, but it sounds like a violation of the Taking clause in MD.

As far as I know, there is no law that prohibits placing your own cameras combined with speed guns setup to monitor a public road or space. Drivers have no expectation of privacy on a public road.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    MOCO to Subjects; "This is our graft, hands off!" :cop:

BTW~Is there anything more insipid than those doosh "little libraries?" :sad20:
    I guess I'm insipid as I think increasing access to actual books for people to read is a good thing. The ones I've seen in CA are built by the Rotary or Kiwanis and typically at parks.

I've used them; so I guess that makes me a doosh. However comma comma IDGAFAYO! :D
    Peace!

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    My neighbor set one up. It looks like a big red bird house. They also put a wooden bench next to it so kids and parents can sit and leaf through the books. Pretty cool idea.
    It would be, if it was set up in a neighborhood that needed access to reading material set up by an apartment building etc.

But when it's set up in front of your own house in Tony-ville, it is insipid signaling.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    That's pretty much what I would expect from MoCo. Something useful, government must object.

There are a few of those little libraries nearby. We put books the kids have stopped reading in there, and they grab one once in a while. The books seems to change frequently, so I guess a lot of people use it.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I’ll go on record saying I support little libraries and your ability to positively impact your neighborhood by increasing literacy.

Maybe someone could make a little free Ammo locker.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I have used these little boxes a lot. When I'm done reading a book I'll stick it in one of these and see if anything in there is interesting. It's better than giving it to goodwill

brianns

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 29, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I recommend moving it to the other side of the street to where there is a sidewalk instead of next to the curb. That way the drove of readers won't pile up into the street.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    I’m surprised they aren’t changing those little library things to self serve weed dispensers now.... LOL

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    But when it's set up in front of your own house in Tony-ville, it is insipid signaling.
    There's one around the corner from us, in front of a $2M house that also (still!) has BLM signs stuck in the landscaping (maintained by crews of low-wage brown people, of course).

Anyway, I always make sure there's a copy of Atlas Shrugged, and maybe a Matt Bracken novel in there just to keep their purple hair on fire.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Also OP I get those little free library things are generally in our most ultra liberal neighbors front yards but that’s doesn’t mean we should dismiss them as dildos because it’s a liberal idea or action.

If Hillary Clinton came up with the idea of adding HVAC/Welding classes in all major area high schools I’d support it.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    There's one around the corner from us, in front of a $2M house that also (still!) has BLM signs stuck in the landscaping (maintained by crews of low-wage brown people, of course).

Anyway, I always make sure there's a copy of Atlas Shrugged, and maybe a Matt Bracken novel in there just to keep their purple hair on fire.
    "We're all in it together"

:rofl:

Last edited:

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Honestly... is this what the police are concerned about. Assuming it actually looked like a speed camera (which it doesn't), I would think that the police would be in favor of it, if it forced traffic calming in a residential neighborhood. But that also assumes that you subscribe to the fallacy that the purpose of speed cameras is for safety.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Also OP I get those little free library things are generally in our most ultra liberal neighbors front yards but that’s doesn’t mean we should dismiss them as dildos because it’s a liberal idea or action.

If Hillary Clinton came up with the idea of adding HVAC/Welding classes in all major area high schools I’d support it.
    Not everything that liberals do is bad.

Just most of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom