• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Even the Sigs that have fairly beefy rails were having major problems in the 12-15 year range of .40.

I'm not sure if Glock or Sig would put a year on it for liability reasons but if they could I imagine they would say replace every 10 years. Right around the time the original night sights start to die.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The Sigs had rails coming off of the 226 in 9mm. I think carried exposed daily getting beat around cars that aren't big enough in rain snow heat and cold takes a toll on pistols. More so than high round count competition guns. My 34 had between 10 and 15 thousand rounds through it and thousands of holster draws and looks much better than any of my duty guns have after a year.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    wow-that's pretty old technology for LE ammunition.

No GD or HST?

No the Federal HST causes the Glock to go out of timing when used in conjunction with rail mounted lights. Target identification is important so the department did not switch.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    What FBI picks.

What the relevant State Police or largest Dept in Region pick ( ie NYPD influence Northeast, LAPD in Cali, etc)

What majority of neighboring jurisdictions pick.

Most agencies at least one of :

1. Figure that ( Influencial agency) made through testing, and whatever they picked has to be at least pretty good, and we don't have money or expertise to duplicate their process.

2. If we duplicate XYZ agency, it will give us cred.

Semi- free thinking PD might decide to follow a different authority source for either gun or ammo. Ie, instead of following lead of FBI , follow lead of Border Patrol or USSS.

Every once in a while, a maverick agency will have an actual Gun Guy in charge, and he will follow his own gut.

"Gun Guys" gave the chief the information he needed in order to make an educated decision.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    No the Federal HST causes the Glock to go out of timing when used in conjunction with rail mounted lights. Target identification is important so the department did not switch.

Really? Haven't seen it much at all. Actually I've seen very very few malfunctions with shooters using weapon lights and glocks chambered in .40 caliber. Coming from my time on the range during qualifications and instructor line time. Weapons are tools and they do break from time to time. Despite what the Internet wants you to think. But Most of the problems on the line are from poor shooter fundamentals or user error. If a shooter does their part, cleaning and maintence and follows the things they were taught you'll see very few malfunctions or marksmenship problems.

nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    UMD Police had Sigs, and I wanna say they were .40, but saw a buddy in the department a couple months ago with a Glock which I think was 9mm, So I suppose they're doing the same

Yep in the early 2000s they went from P228s to SigPro 2340s, which was a move down in quality imho.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    "Gun Guys " can talk to Chiefs until they're blue in the face . If the Chief isn't a Gun Guy himself, he tuned them out in the first 10 sec, and the decision was already made. The only unknown is if the pre-existing decision was what extent based on Public Relations vs pure low bidder.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    "Gun Guys " can talk to Chiefs until they're blue in the face . If the Chief isn't a Gun Guy himself, he tuned them out in the first 10 sec, and the decision was already made. The only unknown is if the pre-existing decision was what extent based on Public Relations vs pure low bidder.

Neither of your assumptions is correct.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central

Most places pick a gun then put the bid out....they don't bid out a semi auto 9mm that carries 15 rounds.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There were some problems with some .40 Glocks with weapons lights attached that caused frame flex and FTF. Glock addressed the issue with a recoil and mag spring changes. Problem went away. Streamlight even had it their FAQ a few years back.

Last edited:

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    220px-Luger19062iq.jpg

Stefan+Hoehener+World+Cup+Luge+2ybpLoQh79ml.jpg

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    There were some problems with some .40 Glocks with weapons lights attached that caused frame flex and FTF. Glock addressed the issue with a recoil spring change. Problem went away. Streamlight even had it their FAQ a few years back.

You kind of have it backwards. The .40 caliber Glock frame flexes a tremendous amount when the round is fired. The rail mounted lights stiffened the frame and reduced the frame flexing. This stiffening of the frame throes the gun out of timing and caused a fail to properly feed malfuntion. Pistols with TL4's mounted were more susceptible to this due to the method of attaching the light to the pistol and the nut being over tightened. You were correct about the magazine spring. Glock added a coil to increase spring tension. It's only a problem with 180gr ammo and only with the Gen 3 .40 caliber Glock. The gen 4 Glock .40 calibur gums do not suffer from this likely do to the magazine spring and redesigned recoil spring.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    There are issues that have not been made public, and should not.....so can't be discussed with this situation. But some people around here, not in the know, have it all figured out. Not pointing fingers at you bro.....just after reading through this thread again my 2cents.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    "Gun Guys" gave the chief the information he needed in order to make an educated decision.

It always seemed silly to me how county PD's select their service pistols. How can Howard, Montgomery, PG, and Anne Arundel each come to a different conclusion that gun X is best for their department? Seems like a lot of wasted effort. How much time, money and effort are wasted testing a gun when the same results can found from hundreds of police departments across the country?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom