MN head space check...(M44, 91/30, etc.)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I would like to shoot a couple of my MN's this Friday but realized I can't find my head space gauges I had ordered.

Is there any way to verify the rifles are ok without a gauge?

I have heard about scotch tape on the bolt face or something similar but want to get feedback from you folks.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    I would like to do just that. But some of the info out there makes it seem like life/death.

I was only going to shoot the rifles which have matching bolts anyway...

Thanks for the reply

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I turned my own "no-go gauge" from aluminum a few years ago, I need to dig through my stuff and see if I can find it, since it seems there are a LOT of new M/N owners around here lately.

That said, my M38 fails the "no-go gauge", in that the bolt will close on it, but has always functioned 100% reliably. It would probably still pass a field gauge (i.e., "absolute, never exceed, maximum") test though. I should make a field gauge to accompany the no-go gauge.

Your "go gauge" is a 7.62x54R cartridge itself. If the bolt closes on one, you're good. Obviously, this test should be done at the range, with the rifle pointed downrange (although you could remove the firing pin and test at home, if so inclined.)

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    its not that big a deal, very few guns are out of spec, and chances are your mosins are soviet refurbs, which were all checked.

fire it, check to see if there is any serious deformation of the cases, if not, you're good to go.

by all means check the headspace if you can, but unless you're talking about a well worn mixmaster, i wouldnt hold back from the range because of it.

but thats just me, its your face, so dont let me make the decision for you, just take it as another opinion.

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    The first shot on any milsurp I hold down and away from me then I check the casing. I only have headspace gauges for a few calibers like 7.62x39 they are expensive

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The first shot on any milsurp I hold down and away from me then I check the casing. I only have headspace gauges for a few calibers like 7.62x39 they are expensive

Yeah, I close my eyes and hold my head off to the side.

With a Mosin, it's also a good idea to load with only one round, just in case it goes full-auto on you.

(wink wink)

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    With a Mosin, it's also a good idea to load with only one round, just in case it goes full-auto on you.

I had that happen to me once - scary as hell, but luckily it was on the last round in the magazine when it happened.

wink wink + 1 : - )

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    Yeah, I close my eyes and hold my head off to the side.

This made my day .... Seriously, though Mosins are notorious for NOT having headspace issues, and depending on where the cases crack it is often a function of shooting older ammo. As was said before, nearly all the recent imports were checked at the arsenal prior to being put in those lovely crates. My SCW Mosin and my T53 are total mismatches, again no issues whatsoever.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Where do you live, maybe you can borrow one from someone here.

I have 4 MN, All passed the No Go.
    I went through 20 MN in a crate. All were just fine.
    Someone told me (old hands chime in) that if it's in cosmo, it's been checked already.

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    Where do you live, maybe you can borrow one from someone here.

I have 4 MN, All passed the No Go.
    I went through 20 MN in a crate. All were just fine.
    Someone told me (old hands chime in) that if it's in cosmo, it's been checked already.

theres no way to be sure its been checked 100%.

but you have to remember, these were not refinished just for fun.

the soviets refurbed these, dipped them in cosmo and put them away incase they were ever needed again.

that means they were looked over, had broken parts replaced, repairs made, refinished and likely headspaced, before being dipped in hot cosmoline, or brushed over with it and then put away.

so most likely they were checked.

same with most of the finn guns, they came from arsenals, and the reason they were there was incase they were needed, so most were inspected and were in good working order when put away.

Ironnewt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 24, 2012
    Harford County
    I've got a set of the guages and what I do is when I get a new M/N, I check the headspace right away. The info goes in my records and if the rifle is out of spec it gets a tag with a red check. Once it's fixed the tag gets replaced with one without a check and I can shoot it anytime.

A safe way to check a rifle that you are concerned about is to "test" fire it. Get a old tire and put the butt stock in the tire,aim it at your target and strap the whole rifle down. Tie a string to the trigger, load a single round, unwind your string and give the string a yank. then check you case and be guided accordingly.

kazan182

Aug 3, 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I live in the middle of PGC. Since I am planning on expanding I ordered a set of the Okie gauges. The No Go/Field set (not the "GO" one) since I won't be doing any rebarreling...
    I will make sure it chambers a round ok and be carefull shooting it. I have a face shield I guess I could wear. It maybe fun to watch my neighbors at the range when they see me with that....how many lanes they move away. Could be a nice way to get some space. I'll just turn away as suggested.
    I am sure they are all ok since all were refurbs but by reading stuff how dangerous it can be makes you think. Not just me I am thinking about but others at the range.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have okie gauges for my MN and Enfield. I would say the Go gauge is a waste unless you want to inspect something you are buying but I'd rather invest in a dummy round/snap cap instead. I have found a snap cap more useful when looking at something new. Plus its useful to cycle it cause I never chamber a live round inside the house. Even spent rounds may not fit well from one MN to the other. Anything shot in my Chinese T53 is tight in my Russian Mosins. Dont know if there is a slight chamber difference or what.

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    From what I understand, because it is a rimmed cartridge, these rifles/carbines seldom have headspace issues; not that it can't happen. I have fired M91/30 & M44 refurbs and near 100yr old M91 mixmasters; at least 12. So far, I have never had a problem other than ammo related split casings. If you are really worried, fire the first round from a bench rest and put some sort guard over the chamber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom