• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    seriously?

Look, I understand people can get mad at the police. I get it. I do.

But it boggles my mind as to how people can fail to ascribe the most common human actions and behavior to police officers.
    Cops are not bogeymen just waiting to screw you, they are people with a shitty shitty SHITTY job that most of them love who have almost certainly exhausted their patience after the 234th
    "naw yo, why you be on my nuts about an open container, B?! You steppin?"

No one is so important that a police officer is going to take time out of his life to be 'out to get you'

FIFY

Cops are not bogeymen just waiting to screw you, unless they want a confession.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    My post was not anti-police, only pointing out to the op that IF he is disqualified asking the question in a open forum instead of contacting an attorney was not smart.

good luck

Jerry

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    penalty was max 1 year... I did no jail time... and no one (MSP) has asked for my other handguns which are legally registered to me... the gun I had holstered, w no round chambered, was not used in a crime... just found to be in the vehicle upon a traffic stop.
    I tried, apparently unsuccessfully, to buy a Beretta shotgun in October, but never heard back from the retailer... I would think they'd have wanted to make the sale, if I'd have been "approved" by MSP ...

How were you "buying" it? MSP has nothing to do with long gun approvals, FBI NICS check only.

You had to fill out the 4473 yourself. Did you not wait for them to call it in?

It just doesn't make sense.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    this does not make sense

And what do you mean they found it holstered in the car?

Like on your person, or just in the car?

Because I have been stopped on my way to/from the range before and there's been no problem.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't understand why people log on to MDS and ask these types of questions. Call the MD State Police. Get a lawyer. Would you really want to trust your future to what someone on the interweb says? Or, if you are the adventurous type, go out and buy a handgun. See what the MSP have to say then.

In cases like this, don't even ask the question.
    Jim Smith

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I don't understand why people log on to MDS and ask these types of questions. Call the MD State Police. Get a lawyer. Would you really want to trust your future to what someone on the interweb says? Or, if you are the adventurous type, go out and buy a handgun. See what the MSP have to say then.

In cases like this, don't even ask the question.
    Jim Smith

If you go back a few posts, OP says (s)he asked a lawyer, then asked other lawyers, then asked the internet. I believe the term is fishing.

I understand this.. but as I implied previously, I may have hired a more gun law knowledgeable lawyer... some of th things he said, and asked me pertaining to this.. led me to this conclusion.
    Now, I have consulted w other lawyers, and they are not willing to get involved because of the 1st attorney's being on the case...
    I'm all about making things better for my record...and to buy a couple more guns too :thumbsup:

:sad20: Get a lawyer, trust the lawyer, or fire the lawyer and get another lawyer, and STFU.

Now we have alerted the internet that a potentially prohibited person may own regulated firearms. Or someone has admitted guilt over the not-so-anonymous internet that can be used against them.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I don't understand them. But hey, it's their story, I'm just a character...

Jim Smith

CharlieFoxtrot

Industry Partner
    Sep 30, 2007
    Foothills of Appalachia
    You need to talk to a lawyer who understands the nuances of your situation. This offense carries a maximum penalty (in MD) of up to three years. That means a conviction (but not a PBJ) would make you a prohibited person under MD law to possess any kind of firearm, let alone buy one.

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    penalty was max 1 year... I did no jail time....the gun I had holstered, w no round chambered, was not used in a crime... just found to be in the vehicle upon a traffic stop ...

Forgive me if I missed something, were you initially charged for transporting an unloaded holstered handgun in a vehicle?
    If this was the situation I wonder why you were charged at all based on Jack McCauley's comment at the MSI meeting in January when he stated it was legal to transport an unloaded holstered handgun in a vehicle. Unfortunately I do not have the code section to reference.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Forgive me if I missed something, were you initially charged for transporting an unloaded holstered handgun in a vehicle?
    If this was the situation I wonder why you were charged at all based on Jack McCauley's comment at the MSI meeting in January when he stated it was legal to transport an unloaded holstered handgun in a vehicle. Unfortunately I do not have the code section to reference.

You have to be going to or from one of the specific places listed in the law. Like a range, gunsmith, exhibition, etc.

So yes while he did state he carried in in the prescribed manner if he wasn't going to a specific location allowed in the law he's in violation.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Jack also said FOPA applied when your origin and destination are both in MD. That completely contradicts an AG opinion that said if your origin and destination are both in MD, 4-203 applies.

I think Jack got it wrong but iANAL or a MSP

I'm attaching the opinions for perusal by others. I don't agree with the FOPA opinion either but I don't count.

Attachments

• MD AG ruling FOPA.pdf
      30.2 KB · Views: 68
    • MD AG opinion on travel 4-203.pdf
      15.4 KB · Views: 57

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Jack also said FOPA applied when your origin and destination are both in MD. That completely contradicts an AG opinion that said if your origin and destination are both in MD, 4-203 applies.

I think Jack got it wrong but iANAL or a MSP

I'm attaching the opinions for perusal by others. I don't agree with the FOPA opinion either but I don't count.

I am not giving legal advice here, but as I read the law for my own travel, FOPA does not apply to travel that starts and ends in Maryland. 4-203 applies. Only 4-203. I proceed accordingly.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I understand that. I was sitting in the front row of the MSI meeting and heard Jack say FOPA applied in MD.

I am on record as disagreeing with his opinion, and I agree with your view completely.

IANAL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom