• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    I have a 1911 longslide that I have replaced the rear sight on and the front sight is now far too tall. If it was dovetailed in I would buy a replacement, but it is pinned and I don't know how to approach that other than taking a file to it? Is that the best way to shorten it, with a file?

Thanks

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Yes, Use a file if it needs to be shorter. Use a Mill File that has a wide surface and only go in one direction, not back and forth. You can do this at the range till you get your OIA/POI right.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's how Ruger suggested dialing in the POA/POI on my brother's MK1 with a pinned front sight.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes, Use a file if it needs to be shorter. Use a Mill File that has a wide surface and only go in one direction, not back and forth. You can do this at the range till you get your OIA/POI right.

When you take all that metal off, how do you protect the exposed surface? What could you do cosmetically to hide the file work on the top of the sight?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I'd think a few touches of cold blueing would do, but I'll bow to superior knowledge if Clandestine chimes in.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You can blacken it with some cold blue. Heat the part (If its not a night sight) an dthen apply cold blue. It will darken to match the factory finish. This is not a durable finish and it will wear over time if holster contact is made with the cold blued area.

Another option is to mask off the Front Sight and apply Alumahyde II, Duracoat, etc....

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Damn, no wonder it's taken so long to try and match the factory finish with cold blueing, I was applying it to room temp metal - learn something new everyday, thank you for that Clandestine. :thumbsup:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Damn, no wonder it's taken so long to try and match the factory finish with cold blueing, I was applying it to room temp metal - learn something new everyday, thank you for that Clandestine. :thumbsup:

Glad to help bro. Another tip if anyone isnt aware, If you get an uneven coloring use light passes of steel wool to blend it, and reapply cold blue.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    Speaking of blueing (or is it bluing? In any case I feel it is alright to hijack my own thread).

Is there anyone out there that offers results that will be as good as the old Colt royal blue seen on many Pythons? Does Colt custom shop do it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Speaking of blueing (or is it bluing? In any case I feel it is alright to hijack my own thread).

Is there anyone out there that offers results that will be as good as the old Colt royal blue seen on many Pythons? Does Colt custom shop do it?

Colt still does it, at least they do to 1911's. Its not cheap though. Fords Refinishing offers a royal blue too I believe.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've been working on a Colt 1908 Pocket for the past 6 years trying to recreate that Royal look, I'm getting close, but it's taken a bit of effort to get to that point.

Steel wool is your friend, along with patience.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you don't have the time and energy to spend, Clandestine's suggestion is the way to go.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I've been working on a Colt 1908 Pocket for the past 6 years trying to recreate that Royal look, I'm getting close, but it's taken a bit of effort to get to that point.

Steel wool is your friend, along with patience.

To replicate the royal, fire blue, or case color youll have to get a good polish on the metal before blueing. Its ok for display but has almost no wear reistance and it will discolor with even light use. You can smell a cold blued gun too.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    You can smell a cold blued gun too.

Quoted for truth!

I have noticed that, it's not the worst smell, but it does have a unique tinge to it.

The Colt's more of an heirloom, rarely used often, I basically clean all my grubby prints off it after I handle it just to prevent any type of finish damage.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I learned on the interwebs that this would work.:innocent0

Attachments

• DREMEL GS.jpg
      DREMEL GS.jpg
      30.8 KB · Views: 113

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics