• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Cadets from all U.S. service branches rank below a warrant officer (WO-1) and above all enlisted ranks. The US Army has a program for cadets called CTLT (Cadet Troop Leader Training) where cadets during the summer were attached to a regular Army unit and served as a “3rd lieutenant” in leading a platoon size element or be placed in other lieutenant positions. They were treated as an officer during that time frame. Active Duty? No.

It is good to take pistol training like anyone else because you hardly get to handle the pistol like civilians. I rather hang out with civies who can shoot than some 20+ years' service member who worked on fixing truck or avionics.

Audie Murphy did not learn how to shoot in the Army.
    On submarines the Midshipman on their summer cruises stood junior watch stations under the supervision of a qualified enlisted watchstander. Their main job was to stay out of the way, keep their mouths closed and their ears open. They were not to be saluted and basically the only officer privilege they experienced was eating in the wardroom but even then they took turns at that.

Pariah

Sep 6, 2022
    Ellicott City, Md
    No, they are not, not until commissioned.
    Yes, they are.

"Naval Academy students are midshipmen on Active Duty in the U.S. Navy. "
    Taken from the Naval Academy Webpage below

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I met a guy,, who has a neighbor, who's son married a guy in the Navy,,
    Am I exempt from the training requirement ??

Benny

Feb 20, 2019
    Thread jack alert
    Anyone now if an active ROTC scholarship student is considered active duty? That is once they contract.

ROTC cadets are not active duty until commissioned and ordered onto active duty. I commissioned through Army ROTC in the mid 1990’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cadets from all U.S. service branches rank below a warrant officer (WO-1) and above all enlisted ranks. The US Army has a program for cadets called CTLT (Cadet Troop Leader Training) where cadets during the summer were attached to a regular Army unit and served as a “3rd lieutenant” in leading a platoon size element or be placed in other lieutenant positions. They were treated as an officer during that time frame. Active Duty? No.

It is good to take pistol training like anyone else because you hardly get to handle the pistol like civilians. I rather hang out with civies who can shoot than some 20+ years' service member who worked on fixing truck or avionics.

Neither did Sgt. York!

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    I met a guy,, who has a neighbor, who's son married a guy in the Navy,,
    Am I exempt from the training requirement ??

5 out of the 9 of us male first cousins have served in the military. 2 USNA, 1 USMA. Father, USNA, and 2 out of 3 uncles served. Both grand fathers, both USNA, served. Great grandfather served.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    5 out of the 9 of us male first cousins have served in the military. 2 USNA, 1 USMA. Father, USNA, and 2 out of 3 uncles served. Both grand fathers, both USNA, served. Great grandfather served.
    1st, thanks for your all's service,,

2nd: Your next 3 generations are exempt from MD W&C training :)

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

Did you read post #15?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    There is a great German restaurant in Analpolis.
    (Since we're thread drifting...)
    Technically, it's in Edgewater:
    https://www.oldstein-inn.com/

It's still good, but I liked it better before they changed their menu after the fire a few years back. The rinder rolladen aren't on the menu anymore, and those were great.

Now, back to the OP's original thread topic?

Rickman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 31, 2012
    Port Deposit, MD

Same for ROTC. Between Jr and Sr year at Drexel my son did 6 weeks at Ft Campbell with a tank platoon and he was carried as a 3LT.

As an aside, I broke out my uniform and wore it to his Commissioning and as an NCO rendered to him his first salute and received the Silver Dollar and of course still have it.
    20221031_220552.jpg
    20221031_220535.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom