• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Since MD views it as a handgun, and therefore regulated, wouldn't MSP require registration of it (and any other handguns brought in) within 90 days of declaring residency here?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Since MD views it as a handgun, and therefore regulated, wouldn't MSP require registration of it (and any other handguns brought in) within 90 days of declaring residency here?

I would say no because it's treated as a handgun for the transfer and transportation, but per Federal law it is not a handgun.

But I'm not 100% sure. I'll see what I can find out this weekend.

I will say that MSP requiring a 77R is complete and utter ********. Per Federal law it is a "firearm" or "other".

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I would say no because it's treated as a handgun for the transfer and transportation, but per Federal law it is not a handgun.

But I'm not 100% sure. I'll see what I can find out this weekend.

I will say that MSP requiring a 77R is complete and utter ********. Per Federal law it is a "firearm" or "other".

Thanks for any research Mopar, wondering if I will buy one or build one from a receiver and in that case I may go with an 870. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Thanks for any research Mopar, wondering if I will buy one or build one from a receiver and in that case I may go with an 870. Correct me if I'm wrong.

An 870 PGO is easier because all you need to do is install a 14" barrel on it (and shockwave grip of course), no need to replace the entire front end like on a Mossberg.

However, there are fewer PGO 870s out there. But they are out there.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    I had a bird's head on my 870 SBS when I first built it. After ~3 range trips, I threw a short Hogue stock on it. Much less chance of damaging my teeth after one time I flinched and relaxed my grip on the forearm, slamming my thumb into my upper jaw. I'm definitely glad to see Mossberg included the strap on the forearm, that should cut down on the jaw impacts if you flinch.
    My suggest would be a Mesa Tactical or similar metal 6-shot side saddle loaded with slugs, and a +1 extension to increase the weight even more.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I picked one of these up today from Quantico Tactical. $354 + tax. They had a few come in on order a few days ago, and mine was the last one they had. Looks like I'll have to wait a few days before I try it out.

MDElite

Industry Partner
    Mar 16, 2011
    I was told it will be treated as a handgun. Has to be on the roster and will need 77r.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    There is nothing in the NFA about concealing a firearm.

There *IS* a definition of a "concealable firearm" which is anything less than 26" in OAL. This is why you could theoretically have a bullpup rifle with an OAL of less than 26" and it would still be an SBR, even if it had a 16" barrel.

But there is nothing in the NFA about being allowed to conceal a firearm or not.

The opinion letter from ATF makes it pretty clear (atleast to me) that concealing this type of gun could cause issues. http://www.nfaoa.org/documents/PistolGrippedShotgunLike.pdf

Read it for yourself.

sculpin

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern MD
    So, it looks like it is an "AOW", according to the BATFE letter attached. (At least, as best I can determine from the way they never directly state anything...) But the question remains... Is it legal in MD? Since it is not being classified as a handgun, (and therefore not required to be on the MD handgun roster) I don't see why it wouldn't be legal. I am hoping someone here actually knows for sure.

http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    So, it looks like it is an "AOW", according to the BATFE letter attached. (At least, as best I can determine from the way they never directly state anything...) But the question remains... Is it legal in MD? Since it is not being classified as a handgun, (and therefore not required to be on the MD handgun roster) I don't see why it wouldn't be legal. I am hoping someone here actually knows for sure.

http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Shockwave-Letter-from-ATF-3-2-17.pdf

I didn't read the letter but this is too long to be an AOW. It's over 26"

sculpin

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern MD
    OK, I must have misunderstood the text of the letter. I wish they would just answer the question without all the smoke and mirrors. According to Mossberg "The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm.". OK, great. It's a firearm! I guess I will have to contact the MSP directly to find out if it is legal here. I'll get back to you guys in a few months... SMDH

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OK, I must have misunderstood the text of the letter. I wish they would just answer the question without all the smoke and mirrors. According to Mossberg "The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives has confirmed the 590 Shockwave as a “firearm” per the Gun Control Act (GCA), but not a Class 3/NFA firearm.". OK, great. It's a firearm! I guess I will have to contact the MSP directly to find out if it is legal here. I'll get back to you guys in a few months... SMDH

It's a handgun per MD Law (under 16" is a handgun per MD Law). Needs to be on the MD Handgun Roster to be offered for sale, purchased, or sold IN the Satae of MD.

sculpin

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern MD
    Where can I find these Maryland definitions and associated laws/regulations? BATFE laws are as clear as mud, and they, themselves are constantly contradicting their own statements. (for example arm braces for handguns) However, none of that matters unless you can figure out Maryland's position of particular firearms. I checked the lists Maryland has on line and there is only one banned Mossberg listed and it's not the Shockwave. I can send an inquiry to MSP, but I have to certify that I have checked with a licensed dealer first. I am in the process of doing that now.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Where can I find these Maryland definitions and associated laws/regulations? BATFE laws are as clear as mud, and they, themselves are constantly contradicting their own statements. (for example arm braces for handguns) However, none of that matters unless you can figure out Maryland's position of particular firearms. I checked the lists Maryland has on line and there is only one banned Mossberg listed and it's not the Shockwave. I can send an inquiry to MSP, but I have to certify that I have checked with a licensed dealer first. I am in the process of doing that now.

It's MD Law. Look it up.

Any firearm that has a barrel shorter than 16 inches is considered a handgun per Maryland law. This applies to transportation and selling or transferring.

sculpin

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern MD
    Well that was helpful...

Luckily HooliganMariner had actually posted very helpful information earlier in the thread. Looks like it will be on the handgun roster (or not) very soon! Look it up!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Well that was helpful...

Luckily HooliganMariner had actually posted very helpful information earlier in the thread. Looks like it will be on the handgun roster (or not) very soon! Look it up!

I know it has been submitted. If you read the thread as you are pointing out, you wouldnt be asking the questions you are asking. I was modifying barrels for MD residents 4 years ago as a gunsmith so they could own these in MD. I'm quite aware fo the federal and state legalities of these firearms.

Im not going to do the research for you. I will show someone the way, it's up to them to do the rest.

You just don't like the answer. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom