• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I got handle one of these today at the Mossberg booth at the outdoor show. Very handy little piece, and felt well made. Not sure how much I'd actually like shooting it though as it's very light. The rep said street price is $480.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I got handle one of these today at the Mossberg booth at the outdoor show. Very handy little piece, and felt well made. Not sure how much I'd actually like shooting it though as it's very light. The rep said street price is $480.

Just stay away from the magnum slugs. :whoa:

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I have an update but it is not good. Basically, unless you plan on buying this to Form 1 they are worse than a regular shotgun in every way.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    These guns may get people in big trouble if they put a regular pistol grip- or a stock- on it. And you know someone who is not informed about the law will do it.

That was my first thought when I saw it. Somebody is going to put a stock on it without the SBS stamp and they will have broken the law in a big way. Kind of like mentioning 922(r) to my brothers. They ask me if that is a new airplane, or Porsche and neither of them are dumb.

The nuances in firearms law is insane.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    That was my first thought when I saw it. Somebody is going to put a stock on it without the SBS stamp and they will have broken the law in a big way. Kind of like mentioning 922(r) to my brothers. They ask me if that is a new airplane, or Porsche and neither of them are dumb.

The nuances in firearms law is insane.

922r is ridiculous.

It reminds me of "use tax" which I'm sure everyone pays for everything they buy from another state on the Internet, riiiiight?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    922r is ridiculous.

It reminds me of "use tax" which I'm sure everyone pays for everything they buy from another state on the Internet, riiiiight?

That is what the "r" is for. lol

There are a lot of ridiculous laws out there right now. SBS and SBR are a couple of them. If somebody really has ill intent in their mind, all they have to do is saw down a barrel before leaving the house to carry through with the ill intent. Then, there are pistols in rifle/shotgun calibers/gauges. So, the entire SBS/SBR issue being because they can be easily concealed is complete BS.

At least now that you are in Texas, you do not have to worry about the 5.56 being more deadly than the .308 with the former being banned and the latter being cash and carry.

They really should spend a lot more time thinking about how they can make the economy and education a lot better such that the vast majority of violent criminals will not want to pursue that line of work anymore because they can find a less dangerous profession that pays almost as much. That is what the politicians should be focusing on. However, if the liberals actually fixed that situation, then they would lose their entire voting base and the next thing people would be wondering is "why the heck do I have to pay so much taxes on all this money I am making now?"

Thanks for listening to my rant.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I have an update but it is not good. Basically, unless you plan on buying this to Form 1 they are worse than a regular shotgun in every way.

Yaeh, I only had to make it a couple minutes into the video and watch the firing from the hip stuff to concur.

I just cannot see the "Shockwave" as anything more than a piece of art to be displayed on the wall, and even then I can think of better looking stuff to hang on the wall.

Even my brother at 6' 1" and 230 pounds of muscle will not try to shoot anything like the Shockwave.

However, there is the tacticool factor here. Where they dropped the ball is not making it in 3.5". The number of hilarious videos that would be produced from the Shockwave in 3.5" using turkey loads would be phenomenal. The videos might even be better than the ones of the .50 S&W.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    I just bought a Police trade in 590, which is basically a SBs version of the shockwave.. Would have been about the same price to go this route and Form 1, except I would have had a new gun not the the one that is currently malfunctioning.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I just bought a Police trade in 590, which is basically a SBs version of the shockwave.. Would have been about the same price to go this route and Form 1, except I would have had a new gun not the the one that is currently malfunctioning.

Having trouble with your 590a1 sbs???

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    A 12G with a birds head grip is a pleasure to shoot. Unless its a person of limited strength or has mobility issues its not going to kill you.

I shoot them one handed with my arm extended, like a bullseye shooter would fire a handgun

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Anyone else looking at trench coats?

I believe concealing one of these would run afoul of the NFA laws. I need to find the statute and ATF letters. If I remember correctly a tax stamp is required to conceal it.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It was nice to meet you today, and nicer to meet your urban broom :party29:

I think i just added something to my want list. It was surprisingly easy to shoot :thumbsup:

Great to meet you as well. Glad you enjoyed the Urban Broom.

If anyone is interested in one I believe Scott's Gunsmithing is still selling the kits.

Last edited:
    Mar 16, 2017
    Urbana, MD
    Mossberg Shockwave in Maryland

I'm new here. Hello all! I spoke with a Sgt. in the MD State Police Firearms Unit today. He looked in to the Mossberg 590 Shockwave and informed me that it isn't illegal in MD BUT it does fall within the guidelines as a pistol. He also said it's not presently on the handgun roster. I filed a petition today with the handgun review board to have it added to the MD pistol roster. The board meets on 4/20/17. He advised that it'll take 30-45 days after for me to hear if it was added or not. I'll let you all know they decide. This is as concrete as it gets. They were very friendly to deal with by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom