• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    The FUNNY thing here is: The State of Maryland wants to punish you for violating Federal Law by giving you access to the substance that you used to violate the law with.
    Could that be entrapment?

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    When using the MSP online licensing portal, the question reads; "Are you a legal user of cannabis (marijuana) for medical purposes or are you issued a valid medical cannabis identification number or a valid medical cannabis identification card?"

Therefore, just having the card prohibits you.

Even if you have the card, I believe you can say no to this because the POT is illegal by Federal Law. The State cannot issue a VALID CARD to violate FEDERAL LAW. It's like saying you are not an illegal alien because Maryland gave you a Drivers License.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Even if you have the card, I believe you can say no to this because the POT is illegal by Federal Law. The State cannot issue a VALID CARD to violate FEDERAL LAW. It's like saying you are not an illegal alien because Maryland gave you a Drivers License.

Your logic is bad. There is an existing question that asks if you are an illegal marijuana user.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Not to mention that if it is true what 2A in MD is saying that MSP is compiling a database of card holders and comparing them against 77r's, they will get you for perjury if you applied for a transfer after getting your card and answered NO to that question. The card doesn't violate the law, you do by maintaining possession of a firearm after getting a card. The problem I see is that I can find no mention of this conflict on the MMCC website. They should be informing people trying to obtain a card that it will prohibit them from owning firearms.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Your logic is bad. There is an existing question that asks if you are an illegal marijuana user.

Good Point

Not to mention that if it is true what 2A in MD is saying that MSP is compiling a database of card holders and comparing them against 77r's, they will get you for perjury if you applied for a transfer after getting your card and answered NO to that question. The card doesn't violate the law, you do by maintaining possession of a firearm after getting a card. The problem I see is that I can find no mention of this conflict on the MMCC website. They should be informing people trying to obtain a card that it will prohibit them from owning firearms.

How can the State issue you a card that says you can violate Federal Law?

I realize this is a Tongue in Cheek argument, but ?

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    When using the MSP online licensing portal, the question reads; "Are you a legal user of cannabis (marijuana) for medical purposes or are you issued a valid medical cannabis identification number or a valid medical cannabis identification card?"

Therefore, just having the card prohibits you.

That's a constructive argument, like having a saw makes you potentially capable of owning a sawed off shotgun.

Also, you should be able to use that argument that you would now be prohibited from voting because you are a federal felon.

If you have an HQL, should the police assume you have a handgun in the car?

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    That's a constructive argument, like having a saw makes you potentially capable of owning a sawed off shotgun.

Also, you should be able to use that argument that you would now be prohibited from voting because you are a federal felon.

If you have an HQL, should the police assume you have a handgun in the car?
    Having a card doesn't make you potentially prohibited, it makes you specifically prohibited. The question is clear, "are you issued a valid medical cannabis identification card?" If a truthful answer to any of the above 16 questions is "YES", it is a violation of the law for you to purchase or possess a firearm.

Your not a felon until you are convicted of a felony crime.

An HQL doesn't mean you own a regulated firearm. Just means you have a license to obtain one.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You are not a Felon for having an MJ Card , however your 2A Rights are nixxed in similar manner to felony conviction. And an HQL isn't a License to purchase Handguns. It is a License that allows you to apply for permission to purchase a handgun.

But that's all self- pleasuring semantics . The bottom line is that life generally, and Maryland Law perticularly isn't fair, logical or internally consistent.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    You are not a Felon for having an MJ Card , however your 2A Rights are nixxed in similar manner to felony conviction. And an HQL isn't a License to purchase Handguns. It is a License that allows you to apply for permission to purchase a handgun.

But that's all self- pleasuring semantics . The bottom line is that life generally, and Maryland Law perticularly isn't fair, logical or internally consistent.

This

Not_an_outlaw

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 26, 2013
    Prince Frederick, MD
    Having a card doesn't make you potentially prohibited, it makes you specifically prohibited. The question is clear, "are you issued a valid medical cannabis identification card?" If a truthful answer to any of the above 16 questions is "YES", it is a violation of the law for you to purchase or possess a firearm.

Where is the law for "specifically prohibited?" It looks like the MSP just made this up. Did the legislature make such a law? I'm concerned that the legislature will eventually be able to ask about other drugs for which they arbitrarily decide that their use makes you a prohibited person.

Yes, that is true. But if you admitted to committing a felony, that can't be good. I'm trying to think of an example where you cannot get something based on an admission but not actually getting prosecuted.

An HQL doesn't mean you own a regulated firearm. Just means you have a license to obtain one.

Yes that is my point. Just because you have the MJ card doesn't mean you you have the stuff in possession or have used it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Even when the risks of getting a MJ Card are made clear in black and white it still ignored by the MJ Mafia. They think the consequences don't apply to them.

They will find out the hard way.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    This is one of the biggest problems I have with "medical marijuana". It can be a huge issue for users and prescribers alike if the feds get a bug up their asses.

As we know the Feds can do...

MJ is still classified a schedule 1 substance.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Stay away from Medical Marijuana as you will be in some data bank labeled a user. BATF Form 4473 asks if you are a habitual user of drugs and marijuana is an illegal drug as per Federal Law. At some point in time the Feds will crack down and fill the jails and their gun lockers. Chris
    What if someone suffers from chronic pain? Would "habitual use of drugs" apply there? Some states are openly defying such laws regarding medical marijuana, arguing that the feds don't have authority under the Tenth Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Drugs are not specifically enumerated or delegated to the federal government in the Constitution. I'm sure the state would point to the 10th Amendment if the CCW reciprocity became law. Why not medical marijuana?

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis

This may have been addressed ( its a long thread) but here is a 9 th circuit ct of appeals case holding that the possessor of a medical canabis Rx is a prohibited person even without evidence that the user ever filled the Rx. Or testimony he or she did not. The question is, with the warning on the federal form re med canabis, whether you want to sign your name under the penalties of perjury and attest that all statements you have made are true. And 18usc 922 prohibits possession or transfer of a firearm if you use. Granted, the 9 th cir holding has no effect in the 4 th, the 4th has not been exactly gun friendly.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    What if someone suffers from chronic pain? Would "habitual use of drugs" apply there? Some states are openly defying such laws regarding medical marijuana, arguing that the feds don't have authority under the Tenth Amendment:

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Drugs are not specifically enumerated or delegated to the federal government in the Constitution. I'm sure the state would point to the 10th Amendment if the CCW reciprocity became law. Why not medical marijuana?

Congress needs to undo some of what was done decades ago. Who comprises the congress?

https://web.archive.org/web/20070928044643/http://www.deamuseum.org/dea_history_book/1970_1975.htm

The courts are gonna uphold this stuff all day until congress changes the law.

The courts have upheld the NFA as constitutional. Why wouldn’t they do the same for substances the states permitted the federal government to control (just as they did with NFA items)?

FPL53

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2013
    Frederick
    Here's a G. Gordon Liddy'ish question. On all papers I am the gun owner of all fire arms in my house. I have a debilitating disease that heavily qualifies me for a state MJ card. If my wife were to go out and lie to the MJ docs and gets her MJ card, does that put me the gun owner on the state's prohibited (confiscation) list? Are they just looking at names or addresses too?

This is just a curiosity question, I am not looking to skirt the law!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom