• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Only one more spot for the 3rd class.

Although, that may change depending on the final dates.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One slot open for the proposed 3rd class.

If the class is a go, priority to current MDS member (and yes, I will know if they join now :) ). But open to others if room.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Hi All,

Getting caught up...

Scheduling, 2nd session:
    As I had posted above, I offer these possible dates for the second class and left it with you guys and Pinecone to select possible dates.
    OK, for the second class, we can select from the following dates:
    1) April 30/May 1
    2) May 7-8
    3) May 21-22
    It would seem that we could get everyone together for the second group on one of those dates and I will leave that to Pinecone to work out with those participating...

So...what dates did you decide on?

Scheduling, 3rd session:
    As for a third two day session, yes, I'd be delighted to do that and if we can get at least 4 people, we will.

Lets gauge interest/participation and then we'll find a weekend that will work for everyone, or a pair of weekdays. Either is fine with me.

Fees:
    With regard to cost, the fee will be held at $200.00 per person for the two day session. Same price for everyone, same price for any of the sessions we put on in this thread.

Deposits:
    I have received several deposits to date. Thank you. I would like to thank you personally, but I do not know who you are, since your MDS handle somehow does not match your given name as imprinted on your checks.

If your screen name is not imprinted on your check, please note it WITH YOUR CHECK so I can let you know it was received and properly credit those who have paid.

If you have sent a deposit and did not ID yourself, please send a PM to me with your real name so I can figure all this stuff out. Dan, I know yours. Thank you.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    I hope to do this one day, but I don't think my .223 is going to cut it out to 1200. We'll have to wait until I buy something with longer legs.

Ed can tell you what your limitation would realistically be.

A 24" bolt .223, with the right load - will still get you out there a good bit. Provided the wind isn't too bad.
    The key to getting the most from the 5.56/.223 at long range is going to be heavy bullets and longer barrels, whether from a bolt or AR matters not. If you have something that is better suited to long range, you will be able to better "exploit the venue" (I like that expression). If you bring a light caliber, you will be well challenged, but your distance ceiling will be reduced and your hit percentage will drop to a point at which you are both no longer learning and no longer enjoying yourself. As long as you are content to stay within that distance, you can have a lot of fun and learn quite a lot with a .22 bullet.

More than enough time, I was thinking about building a semi-auto AR10 to join my bolt gun on the trip, never know........
    I see a lot of AR-10s and they will shoot with the bolt guns if well managed.

...I've got a Winchester 70 in 30-06 that should work.
    The rifle/cartridge should be fine, albeit a little light for long shooting sessions. One problem that plagues the '06 is a lack of good long range match ammo, although FGMMs do a decent job at longer distances.

If my father brings his stock M70 in .270 he should be ok? Shoots a touch under an inch at 100. Has a 20 MOA base so he should be able to get out to 1000 or so.
    Same with your dad's .270, if he can find good bullets, it should be fine, although probably a little light to shoot a lot. Most bullets for the .270 are designed for hunting and are rather inefficient at long dstance. Where a scope might be capable of dialing on enough elevation for a good pointy boattail match load, it may lack enough adjustment to bring a blunt, flat base hunting bullet up target.

....Let us know if/when we should send Ed a deposit.
    General answer: Please do no send a deposit until you are finalized on whatever list applies.

If your name has been posted to the first list, now is the time to send your deposit and secure a slot. Your deposit is due now.

Pinecone is keeping up with who is where.

If we have not received deposits within a reasonable time, lets say "30 days after the list is finalized", we will then begin to doubt your sincerity and the slot will be passed to the next most sincere person.

30 days seems quite reasonable, since one is holding a slot that someone else might use and there is no sense in delaying one's ability to make plans/arrangements/etc..

Once you guys decide on a second date and fill that list, we'll take deposits on those dates and deposits will be expected with a reasonable period of time also.

Ed has not gotten the dates for the second class nailed down yet.
    No one is waiting for me.

I am waiting for you guys to decide among yourselves. I had listed some uncommitted dates in my post a few pages back (and quoted just above this) and have been waiting to see what we come up with.

Once we pick a weekend for the second group, we can look at dates for the third group. We can either use an unused date from this second draft, or we can look at other dates.

As for the third group, we can do either weekdays or weekends. I saw a comment above about weekdays being preferable as to reduce conflict with family events.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    1) Those in the 2nd class need to discuss the available weekends and come up with a plan. Let Ed and I know. If you do not, Ed and I will pick a date, and you will have to live with it.

2) The lists for the classes are in the FIRST POST of this thread. There are actually MORE than 8 people signed up for the third class, so I will break it into 3rd class and Wait List. So Ed, you opened your mouth and are on the hook for a 3rd class. :D How about a 4th one??? :D If you are listed in that post as one of the 8 in the 3rd class, you are in. That also means, you need to contact Ed and send in your deposit.

I am keeping the order based on saying "I'm in." So if we have a drop out, everyone moves up. If you see a blank in a course (like there is right now) that is because someone could not make another class, but since they said they were in first, I am giving them the chance to slide down to another course. If they are out totally, then I will move people up. If someone from the 1st or 2nd class cannot make the date, they will have the option to move down (1st has option of 2nd or 3rd, 2nd has option of 3rd). That is why as of this post, there is an opening in the 2nd class, someone in the 1st class cannot make the weekend. Some lame excuse about a bachelor party. :D

But basically, if you are on the list for a class, you have a slot. The wait list people are those in limbo.

3) Again, if you can make a weekday class (3rd one will probably be weekday), then let me know. You will be helping out other MDSers that cannot make a weekday class. Once we see how it shuffles out, I will contact those who indicate that weekday would work, and let them do a final decision as to which class. Just because you say you can make a weekday class, does not mean you are REQUIRED to do the weekday class.

You are free to swap with another student. But that is up to YOU to coordinate, and LET ME KNOW.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    2) The lists for the classes are in the FIRST POST of this thread. There are actually MORE than 8 people signed up for the third class, so I will break it into 3rd class and Wait List. So Ed, you opened your mouth and are on the hook for a 3rd class. :D How about a 4th one??? :D If you are listed in that post as one of the 8 in the 3rd class, you are in. That also means, you need to contact Ed and send in your deposit.

I am keeping the order based on saying "I'm in." So if we have a drop out, everyone moves up. If you see a blank in a course (like there is right now) that is because someone could not make another class, but since they said they were in first, I am giving them the chance to slide down to another course. If they are out totally, then I will move people up. If someone from the 1st or 2nd class cannot make the date, they will have the option to move down (1st has option of 2nd or 3rd, 2nd has option of 3rd). That is why as of this post, there is an opening in the 2nd class, someone in the 1st class cannot make the weekend. Some lame excuse about a bachelor party. :D

But basically, if you are on the list for a class, you have a slot. The wait list people are those in limbo.

3) Again, if you can make a weekday class (3rd one will probably be weekday), then let me know. You will be helping out other MDSers that cannot make a weekday class. Once we see how it shuffles out, I will contact those who indicate that weekday would work, and let them do a final decision as to which class. Just because you say you can make a weekday class, does not mean you are REQUIRED to do the weekday class.

You are free to swap with another student. But that is up to YOU to coordinate, and LET ME KNOW.

I'm in the 3 class however, not sure I can make a weekday until it's decided( working in finance has it's drawbacks). Thinking I should wait to send in a deposit until we have locked on a date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom