• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'd like to see an outline too. When I asked here a while back what it is that needs 16 hours of instruction vs the much shorter classes for other states' permits I didn't get a straight answer. I'm not asking about an individual instructor and the quality of the course they offer and/or how they justify that all 16 hours+ is needed, I would like to see the required curriculum (standardized, from the state, not someone telling me what they teach in their class). Seems like that either doesn't exist, or I have to go through the initiation of becoming an instructor to view the sacred parchment.

I understand that the state currently mandates 16 hours. I'm not looking for a shortcut or a loophole. I just want to know what is being taught before I decide I want to invest the time and money. I don't think that's unreasonable.
    There isn't one, the state law simply states:

(i) 1. for an initial application, a minimum of 16 hours of instruction by a qualified handgun instructor; or
    2. for a renewal application, 8 hours of instruction by a qualified handgun instructor;
    (ii) classroom instruction on:
    1. State firearm law;
    2. home firearm safety; and
    3. handgun mechanisms and operation; and
    (iii) a firearms qualification component that demonstrates the applicant's proficiency and use of the firearm;
    MSP does not care what is taught, or how it is taught so long as the classroom covers the three parts above and the student passes the shooting portion.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    So is a MD W&C class advertised as 1 day class legit ?
    If an instructor does one on one, or 2 students,, and he can go through all the material,, step out in the back yard and qualify them in 8 hours,, is that legit? is that legal?

Or are the instructors having to sign something saying they gave "Joe Bob" 16 hours of instruction.

I am wanting to be 100% legal,,, but hearing of a lot of "1 day MD W&C classes"

I wish MD was more detailed on the exact training requirements
    If they can do it all in 16 hours for a nw permit or 8 hours for a renewal it is legit. If they aren't doing the full 16 hours for new, then not legit.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    If it is 4hrs classroom instruction, with the add-on of live fire qualification, sure. But as mentioned elsewhere, a big class and you can burn several hours just rotating the class through the qualification. MD considers that part of the instruction. So in theory a big class would have zero real instruction.

I hear you for sure. I’ve got day 1 of my training coming up next week. Day 2 will have to wait a week because the day after my class my wife is going out of town for a week and I can’t just leave my kids at home for 8+ hours. I am going with an open mind and hope I learn. Something. Anything. I’d prefer not to spend the money just to satisfy a check box. I mean, that IS the reason I am taking it. I wouldn’t be otherwise. But just because it is required doesn’t mean I can’t try to make the most of it.

But it seems to this young man of nearly 40, based on my hunters education, that the state could throw together a similar class for W&C. Have an online component that takes care of most of all of the classroom instruction leaving you a 2-4 hour class in person that actually covers the safe handling of firearms, how they work, some live fire training followed by your 25 shots for qualification.
    An online component would help guarantee that everyone who takes the course receives the same information. Which would seem to be of particular importance for the "legal aspects of self defense in Maryland" portion of the class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom