• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So to be clear, you have so little ties here in MD that you can move your family to another state because you do not like the outcome of the most recent gun Bill. And rather leave instead of stay to help us fight these bastards? Just asking.

I do not like the outcome either, but I want to stay in their face and fight them. Not male things easier for them by leaving.
    No - I do have ties (well, my wife does - I don't) in MD, but it's not just about this gun bill. That for me is the icing on the cake, but combine that with our state income tax, rain tax, gas tax, tax tax tax tax....

My wife's family is Baltimore based, so we're looking at moving across the PA line - that keeps us within easy distance of her family (although my neice and her husband and my brother-in-law are also looking at PA) and maybe only 10 more minutes in drive time, so getting out of the state and over the PA line is a win/win from what I can see.

People want to continue this fight - I'm seeing the state of MD as a lost cause where our rights are concerned. The masses are asses, and that's unfortunately what is driving this legislation, not to mention taxing the snot out of the haves so that it can be redistributed to the have-nots.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    For all of those who feel the Referendum being lost will hurt us in Court: Do Judges rule on Public opinion or Constitutional Law?
    Depends on the judges. The saying "legislate from the bench" came from somewhere, after all.

Look at the dissenting opinion of the Heller Decision. Justice Stevens flat out ignored the Constitution and the writings of our founding fathers to come up with his skewed interpretation of intent behind the 2nd Amendment.

While I think that this can be won in the courts, their opinions are swayed by that of public opinion and events of the times surrounding the case, and for no other reason we should avoid losing this thing in referendum.

wesser1

Dec 19, 2012
    Havre de Grace
    Our rights are not decided by a vote, they are inalienable and the citizens of Maryland don't get to vote them away just like the politicians don't get to make laws to erode them. Referendum for legalizing marijuana (for example) is not the same as eroding the second amendment regardless of how the residents would vote. This law should be shot down by the courts in defense of our birth rights. I wouldn't trust the residents of this state with a vote on it anyway. The people are sheeple in MD.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I wouldn't even bother to sue over this non-sense. It's got so many holes in it, it's so inanely written, I want them to suffer the consequences of their stupidity.

For me it's not all about the guns, though that's a very big part of it. It's all the taxes, a rain tax? If I were living in another state I would find this stupid tax as stupid as owemalley is and laughing at him like the rest of the country is. But unfortunately that tax is going to effect me because I live here, not to mention the higher gas tax that's coming. This state is draining the middle class alive in taxes. Our traitor of a governor and his political cronies are looking at the whole picture, just like obozo did in the last election. Get the undocumented democrats (in Leno's words) on their side offering them the dream act, a drivers license, a free phone, and food stamps that most of us are paying for. Then get the gays on their side with the gay marriage passage have them all sucking on the democrated teet of maryland and we're heading in the direction of the third reich.

O'Reilly was laughing at the rain tax the other night on TV and said it's marylander's fault we voted that pinhead of a governor into office. Well it's not my fault I didn't vote for him, but you get lazy people sucking on that teet they aren't going to vote differently. All of us are looking for 2014 to get here, but if they fix the votes which can very well happen, then what?

So to be clear, you have so little ties here in MD that you can move your family to another state because you do not like the outcome of the most recent gun Bill. And rather leave instead of stay to help us fight these bastards? Just asking.

I do not like the outcome either, but I want to stay in their face and fight them. Not male things easier for them by leaving.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    personally i think the refferendum would help in one way, it would postpone the effective date of the law so that we have extra time to prepare. I am sure the MSP will find another way to screw us, but we would have another year to make purchases that will be banned

No no no no and no. We don't need another year to prepare. We need to get this to court ASAP. Another year to make purchases is short sighted. We are taking about future generations of people who will be denied constitutional rights.

This needs to get to SCOTUS before Obama has a chance to appoint a new justice. No referendum!

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    You can't be serious. There just aren't enough republican voters in MD to overturn it in referendum. People are not smart enough to understand what they are voting for. Most will not read nor understand the question. I would be written in such a way that their eyes glazed over after the first few words. They would end up voting according to which TV commercial they like most. If they were stupid enough to pass the dream act and to gerrymander a mostly republican AA County to make it totally ineffective, what could possibly make you think you could trust MD voters?

I very much trust the Maryland voter to be a Maryland voter. You know, the empty headed, blind leading the blind, they will do anything the "D's" tell me to do because they have always just voted for the "D's" all their life, and they will continue to always vote for the "D's". Also you can trust that the MD voter will always vote for whoever it seems their favorite TV news station seems to like.

I trust the MD voter to be just that.

tomh

Jul 21, 2008
    For all of those who feel the Referendum being lost will hurt us in Court: Do Judges rule on Public opinion or Constitutional Law?

Apparently in Maryland, they rule on whichever way the dominant political party tells them to rule.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    I very much trust the Maryland voter to be a Maryland voter. You know, the empty headed, blind leading the blind, they will do anything the "D's" tell me to do because they have always just voted for the "D's" all their life, and they will continue to always vote for the "D's". Also you can trust that the MD voter will always vote for whoever it seems their favorite TV news station seems to like.

I trust the MD voter to be just that.

Be careful. Aren't you a MD voter too?:)

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    No no no no and no. We don't need another year to prepare. We need to get this to court ASAP. Another year to make purchases is short sighted. We are taking about future generations of people who will be denied constitutional rights.

This needs to get to SCOTUS before Obama has a chance to appoint a new justice. No referendum!

if this goes to court and we lose then we are done. I dont see the law being overturned in court so i am all for whatever delays this the most.

SoMd Ed

Apr 29, 2010
    For me it's not all about the guns, though that's a very big part of it. It's all the taxes, a rain tax? If I were living in another state I would find this stupid tax as stupid as owemalley is and laughing at him like the rest of the country is. But unfortunately that tax is going to effect me because I live here, not to mention the higher gas tax that's coming. This state is draining the middle class alive in taxes. Our traitor of a governor and his political cronies are looking at the whole picture, just like obozo did in the last election. Get the undocumented democrats (in Leno's words) on their side offering them the dream act, a drivers license, a free phone, and food stamps that most of us are paying for. Then get the gays on their side with the gay marriage passage have them all sucking on the democrated teet of maryland and we're heading in the direction of the third reich.

O'Reilly was laughing at the rain tax the other night on TV and said it's marylander's fault we voted that pinhead of a governor into office. Well it's not my fault I didn't vote for him, but you get lazy people sucking on that teet they aren't going to vote differently. All of us are looking for 2014 to get here, but if they fix the votes which can very well happen, then what?

If the rain tax really bothers you that much make sure to research where you are going. Its been in place in some jurisdictions for as long as 10 years. Its not a new thing.

Ernie B

Feb 26, 2008
    Middletown, MD
    I've been hearing more and more about bring this "mess" to a referendum over the past few days... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE think about this BEFORE we make a BIG mistake here, folks!! I just don't think there is any way we can muster the votes to win this in OUR favor. If we do go the referendum route and LOOSE, we will have closed the door on our gun rights in this state - PERIOD. IMHO.

Ernie

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    How should they rule? I think most of us feel the right answer to that one, in our bones.

How do they rule? Simple, take a look at the 2CA and 4CA rulings in Kachalsky and Woollard. I will grant that IANAL, but both of those read like "rational basis" masquerading as "intermediate scrutiny" to me. To this layman, it appears that they issued their rulings after the tragic events of Aurora, Tuscon & Sandy Hook and said "we are not going to touch this political hot button, so suck it up gun owners, your right's don't matter since the mob doesn't think they should".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom