• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    My slide won't drop with the slide release when the empty mag is in....anyone else's? Gonna try another mag when I get one, but for now this is all I have.

Gun looks great though.

I had the same problem at first
    I oiled it soaking wet and worked the pistol a bunch and things loosened up then I wiped it clean

Range report :
    Had it out to delta Thursday and had about 50 rnds through it.
    It ran pretty well though I did have two fails to feed
    I may look at a feed ramp polish.
    Number one problem I had withi it ha more to due to the shooter than the pistol
    I was hitting to the right indicating I was squeezing
    If I concentrated I could fix my problem but it was not instinctive for me. I'm gonna blame the slick grips.
    I'm gonna try some grippier grips and see if my natural point of aim settles in

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    When I first got the slide I was a little concerned about the condition, it seemed splotchy and blotchy with a few scratches on it. I guess they can be polished out and the slide buffed, but the engraving was great !

It was comfortable shooting it for the first time, the sights are off, it shoots low and to the left. Even with small hands it felt great and cycled flawlessly. The recoil is tempered by the solidness and quality of parts and engineering.

Two :thumbsup::thumbsup: to Lou for all the ball breaking, patience and humor conducting this "Group Buy", not to mention the efficiency and perfect outcome. Thanks, Lou ! :party29:

Hopefully the next group buy will run smoother than this one did, though this one went quite well.

You're welcome.

What kind of ammo did you use? Should try Fereral Am Eag 230 ball (not the recalled stuff!!!) Hint: In my experiences as a handgun instructor, by far, most of the time, but not necessarily all, when a student makes an indication that the sights are off, it's either the ammo, or in most cases, the student. There are some forum members that will attest to that one if they should happen to read this thread.:D

Just put the first 50 rounds through mine at lunch. Man is it SCHWEEEEET! definitely shoots better than me. Only one FTF and that was the last round on the second mag. I also notice that after a few magazines the stiffness in the slide release without a mag in went away. I had the same problem before I shot it.

Thanks to all that made it happen. I am in love.:heart::D

I had the same problem at first
    I oiled it soaking wet and worked the pistol a bunch and things loosened up then I wiped it clean

Range report :
    Had it out to delta Thursday and had about 50 rnds through it.
    It ran pretty well though I did have two fails to feed
    I may look at a feed ramp polish.
    Number one problem I had withi it ha more to due to the shooter than the pistol
    I was hitting to the right indicating I was squeezing
    If I concentrated I could fix my problem but it was not instinctive for me. I'm gonna blame the slick grips.
    I'm gonna try some grippier grips and see if my natural point of aim settles in

Better mags and grips should give better results.

Before doing anything other than mags and grips, put 200 rounds through it (brass cased 230 grain ball) with good lube and see if that breaks it in. Bear in mind, these guns have a rough parkerized finish on all the metal except bore, chamber area, and front of guide rod. This roughness should hone in and properly mate with the other related parts with this use.

Last edited:

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Thanks Lou, I'll try better ammo, I got mine at WalMart Tulammo 230 gr. Operator error is very possible, I may have been tightening my fingers or slamming my trigger finger.

I wasn't complaining, just generating my first impression to see if anyone else encountered the same reaction. I had no FTF or FTE. :gun3:

Mark

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Thanks Lou, I'll try better ammo, I got mine at WalMart Tulammo 230 gr. Operator error is very possible, I may have been tightening my fingers or slamming my trigger finger.

I wasn't complaining, just generating my first impression to see if anyone else encountered the same reaction. I had no FTF or FTE. :gun3:

Mark

Did I read your post correctly? Wallmart Tulammo? Steel cased filled with coarse powdered yak turds for propellant?
    Oh well. It's a free country and use what you please. I understand acme's brand is a pretty good load; compressed load consisting of highly flammable wetback tamale/taco/burrito wet pharts (the "wet" acts as the sealant and insures freshness) topped with their 230 grain MP (meadowpie). :lol2:

Bart_man

Clinging to gun&religion
    Jan 8, 2011
    Hazzard County
    Did I read your post correctly? Wallmart Tulammo? Steel cased filled with coarse powdered yak turds for propellant?
    Oh well. It's a free country and use what you please. I understand acme's brand is a pretty good load; compressed load consisting of highly flammable wetback tamale/taco/burrito wet pharts (the "wet" acts as the sealant and insures freshness) topped with their 230 grain MP (meadowpie). :lol2:

Jeeze Lou.

Mark I bought a couple of boxes of win 230 gr fmj at Dicks sporting goods and it was buy one get second 1/2 off
    came out to about 42¢ per round

phidelta308

Jan 4, 2010
    bawlmer, hon!
    I put 200 rounds through my MDS 1911 tonight to break it in. 100 rounds of UMC 230 gr FMJ and 100 rounds of WWB 230gr FMJ. Only had three stoppages, all towards the end of the 200 rounds.

2 failures to feed
    1 failure to extract

Not too shabby for the gun's first time out at the range. It was also very accurate. It seems to be shooting about an inch to the left at 7 yards, which is pretty easy to fix. I was getting hits on a 3x5 card at 25 yards, which I have a hard time doing on a good day.

All in all, I'm extremely pleased with this pistol. Thanks again to everybody who made this happen!

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Here is my RIA with Pachmayr grips

MD%2Bshooters%2BRIA.jpg

Tom

Mr H

Banana'd
    Range Report from this morning...

First, I'll address the last thing I checked... the "issue" with the slide not dropping on an empty mag. I've seen this with other guns, where it is a design feature (I assume to hold the slide open so as not to inadvertently think you have a round chambered). This appears to be a feature of this model as well. The slide WILL drop with the factory mag empty, but it takes some serious pressure. With the aftermarket mags, it's much easier. I'll look sometime to see where that comes into play, but I'm not worried about it.

Ran 100 rounds of UMC through it, rotating mags in 5-round loads, and had ZERO failures. Next trip, I'll run some HP through it.

First 10-round grouping at 30' (with the exception of one rushed round that landed 4" low) were all within 2" of center, and 3" overall (just remeasured, since it just didn't 'sound' right).

I found it very hard to get the factory sights lined up in the indoor lighting, especially as my eyes started watering a little. But, other than that and some bad technique, this thing is right on.

I noticed a couple little burrs while assembling it, but I didn't do anything about them as I wanted to see what might work itself out after use. Will update this after I clean it. UPDATE... the burrs I found at the back of the barrel are no longer there

All-in-all, I found it to be a very nice shoot. Need to get used to the short trigger, but I think I like it that way! We got a very good pistol.

Last edited:

marko12

Sep 28, 2009
    Maryland, on the Chesapeake Bay
    Jeeze Lou.

Mark I bought a couple of boxes of win 230 gr fmj at Dicks sporting goods and it was buy one get second 1/2 off
    came out to about 42¢ per round

Thanks, Bart_man, I shot what I could get at the time. I was anxious to shoot and Walmart had the ammo "yak turds" included at no extra cost. They cost $18 a box and I wasn't carded either.

Mark

JWBanshee

Jul 1, 2009
    My Grips

Here is my RIA with the Raasco grips, But a few clips thru it and I like.
    JW

Attachments

• ria.jpg
      ria.jpg
      69.6 KB · Views: 380

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    You guys puttin' on deez dancy wantcy fancy grabberz to wrap your beaters around along wif' 'da majik Jim put'un dem slides shuuurrr makes'em looook purdy.:D

just a-waitin' for the banjos..........

once all our sister cousins get ere we gonna bust em out along wif a few jug a shine

Is Uncle Dad coming? I heard he still was out workin' the livestock...

I think the two of you have jus' 'bout covered all the bases here except for Snotts the Mississippi Leg Hound.:rolleyes:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom