• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captainbluff

Nov 17, 2010
    Hey guys I'm a resident of MD and I have been invited by friends to go to the NRA shooting range in Fairfax, VA. Should I have any concern traveling in VA with my firearms? I will be bringing an AR15, sub 2000 40 cal, and a 40 cal S&W sigma, all unloaded with cable locks. Mags are unloaded as well, will be placed in the glove compartment. Am I good to go?

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Hey guys I'm a resident of MD and I have been invited by friends to go to the NRA shooting range in Fairfax, VA. Should I have any concern traveling in VA with my firearms? I will be bringing an AR15, sub 2000 40 cal, and a 40 cal S&W sigma, all unloaded with cable locks. Mags are unloaded as well, will be placed in the glove compartment. Am I good to go?

You are fine. I would recommend keeping the ammo separate from the guns, and if possible in a locked container. As long as the mags are unloaded, I don't think it makes a difference where they are stored. I think it's best to keep them out of reach.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    id just put them in the back like you have them...and follow the traffic laws...make sure all your lights, turn signals, brake lights etc work...even if you do get pulled over theres no legitimate reason for them to search your vehicle...all you have to do is tell them you are going to a shooting match in VA...if they ask....

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You are fine. I would recommend keeping the ammo separate from the guns, and if possible in a locked container. As long as the mags are unloaded, I don't think it makes a difference where they are stored. I think it's best to keep them out of reach.

Don't put any firearm or mags in your glove box when in MD to comply with FOPA.Loaded mags are ok as long as not in the firearm per the AG opinion we have. You are complying with MD 4-203 but not FOPA if anything is in the glovebox unless you have no trunk and the glovebox can be locked you're ok. If no lock, not ok

I go to the NRA range all the time from Bethesda. To guarantee no problems if you don't have a trunk, and if your case can be locked, put a lock on it and you'd be ok. If you have a trunk use that but no lock required. If your case cannot be locked get a locking case to comply with FOPA. That will cover you in MD as well.

FOPA also states if you have no trunk, either the ammo or the firearms need to be in a locked case. Accoring to that, I can put my mags in my locked case and leave my firearm in a holster

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    The guns have to be in cases, I believe; the ammo and mags need to be separate from the guns.

As long as you are NOT going through DC, you do NOT have to comply with FOPA. FOPA only provides additional protection when traveling through states like NJ, NY, CA, when you destination is a free state... for instance traveling from FL to VT.

Neither MD or VA require the long guns to be cased. In VA you can open carry the pistol. There is no requirement to have locks, there is no reason you cannot use a soft case. Cable locks are not sufficient for FOPA anyway, the case must have a lock.

Pistols and SBR's must be cased in MD using an "enclosed holster" or other "enclosed case", but that is not the case in VA. Following MD law for transport of your firearms should be sufficient to keep you out of trouble.

Remember, NEVER, EVER CONSENT TO A SEARCH OF YOUR VEHICLE.

Certainly no harm can come from transporting the weapons locked and in cases, with unloaded magazines, and the ammunition separate from the firearms. That keeps you well on the right side of the law... but there is no need either. You can have loaded mags, uncased long guns, and even the ammo in the same vicinity as the weapons... as long as you are NOT going through DC. If you are going through DC, no matter how short the trip, FOLLOW FOPA.

Mark

FOPA should you need it:

18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

helg

Dec 26, 2008
    A small piece of I95 goes through DC. See the picture. Any special precautions when driving over the bridge?

Attachments

• i95-dc.jpg
      i95-dc.jpg
      53.6 KB · Views: 574

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    A small piece of I95 goes through DC. See the picture. Any special precautions when driving over the bridge?

YA, DON'T STOP THERE! Even if that was the ONLY piece of DC I was going through, I would follow FOPA. It is the ONLY protection you have from DC's gun laws.

Drive until it's "safe" to pull over (on the VA side of the line preferably.)

Mark

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    DC handles emergencies on the water there.MD takes care of the bridge itself. I don't expect you'd see any MPD there as there isn't a really good way for them to get there except down 295 and they have to cross almost all the way across through MD to get to the small DC section.There is a tiny portion of a parking lot at Reagan Airport that is technically in DC by the demarc but VA handles this Having said that, for insurance lock in trunk per FOPA and as been noted, NEVER consent to a search and don't talk more than legally required. You should be ok

As Mark said, VA is best, MD sucks less and DC sucks the most

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Okay, what's FOPA and how does one transport a gun through DC?

Back when I worked for the NRA years ago, I used to pack my .22LR Ruger with two boxes of ammo in my brief case and take the Metro rail to work. After walking from the Metro stop to the NRA building (1600 Rhode Island Ave.), I'd go to my office, put my gun in my locking drawer and, during lunch, I'd go to the basement and shoot. Afterwards, I'd return the pistol to the drawer until it was time to make the return trip. I did it for a few years without any problems whatsoever. (This was back in the early 80s, and I recall once a couple of cops in a car asked me something. I walked right up to them, leaned one arm on the side of their car and cheerfully answered their question on whether I had seen someone. I hadn't, but wanted to give them a good look at me and not show any discomfort.)

I also took my Raven .25 in to shoot it, too, but felt uncomfortable doing it. Never knew if that thing was going to shoot without jamming! It never did.

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    FOPA is the Firearm Owners Protection Act.... Otherwise known as the turd in the punchbowl. It was supposed to protect gun owners while traveling (it doesn't always [e.g. see NJ]) and in exchange for FOPA we gave up having any new machine guns in the US in 1986.

This is FOPA:

18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

It was a SUCK ASS trade!

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Just because you're pulled over for speeding doesn't mean you give them permission to search your car. Are you implying that cars that get pulled over on 66 West are more likely to be searched? This is just a question and isn't meant as a contradiction. As a matter of policy, I don't allow an officer to inspect or otherwise search my vehicle or anything else unless they have a good reason. In some areas of the country, it's become almost a policy to ask motorists for permission to search. It's a bad precedent.

Maryland and D.C. isn't interested in protecting anyone. Their goal is vengeance. If courts and voters keep them from banning guns, they'll do whatever else is necessary to impose their own personal anti-gun sentiments on owners. Now you get dragged to jail regardless of intent, and if a prosecutor thinks he can get a conviction, he or she will do it. And if they can't get the guns, they'll go for the ammo and how you're carrying it.

In pro-gun states, citizens have saved the lives of cops, often at the risk of their own. In D.C. or Maryland, you really have to wonder whether they want you to be responsible citizens or sheep. They can't have it both ways. On the one hand, our leaders decry it when a young woman is stabbed repeatedly on a New York street and no one lifts a finger. Yet they're told on the gun control issue that they can't be trusted with guns. That they're dangerous, and that the cops don't need "vigilantes" running around waving guns.

Well, what is it? What do they want?

Trey

Aug 20, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    There are a lot of cops on I-66, I think he was just providing a word of advice. Usually it's not an issue because I-66 is a freaking parking lot no matter the time of day so it's impossible to speed.

Also speeding 20mph or more over the speed limit can get you a reckless driving charge in VA.

pasayan73

May 31, 2009
    laurel, md
    There are a lot of cops on I-66, I think he was just providing a word of advice.

thanks..trey.

cold steel....i see your sentiment.

on the other hand the LEOs are just doing their job. if we follow the law there will be no problem in the first place.

sailor

Sep 20, 2007
    Do what's right, and legal

Put all firearms in cases, unloaded and without mags if appropriate.

Put all mags in your range bag.

Put all ammo in a seperate bag.

Drive on, and when you arrive; put the ammo in the range bag, pick up the firearms and go.

MD Law is here: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/mspfaq.htm

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD law states if in route to a range or shooting event, your handgun may be unloaded in an enclosed case or holster. It makes no mention of a requirement to be locked in your trunk with ammo separate.

See MD 4-203

Fededral FOPA requires a firearm to be unloaded and in your trunk or if no trunk a locked case with either the ammo OR the firearm in it.Of course locking it up is even better than following the MD statute but not legally required

http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom