• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    Whenever I would drive to the range, I always have my rifle in a rifle bag and my loaded mags in a separate bag in my trunk. If I have a handgun with me, the pistol will be in a pistol bag and the loaded mags in a separate bag, also in the trunk.

Am I carrying them appropriately? Should I carry my mags unloaded?

BuRNMIA

May 28, 2013
    I am pretty sure that your Mags are NOT supposed to be loaded. Every range that I have been to frowns on mags that are loaded when you walk in. I have even seen people's mags emptied at the counter before entering the range.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I am pretty sure that your Mags are NOT supposed to be loaded. Every range that I have been to frowns on mags that are loaded when you walk in. I have even seen people's mags emptied at the counter before entering the range.
    Incorrect.

You can have the mags loaded. but not the firearm.
    And there is no law in MD that says the mag must be in a separate compartment of the vehicle.

Please if you really don't know for sure...don't post wrong info.

Mossyoak

Never enough
    Jan 5, 2009
    Ceciltucky
    Actually wasn't there something going around where MD considers the mag as part of the gun? I always keep ammo and mags separate from my guns.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Attorny General letter on loaded mags.
    Also from the MSP website:
    The basic requirement during transport is the handgun must be unloaded
    and in an enclosed case or enclosed holster with the ammunition separate
    from the handgun AND you must be transporting the handgun to or from
    the locations listed in the statute.
    Go to the following website for Criminal Law Title 4-203 regarding
    wearing, carrying or transporting a handgun:
    http://mlis.state.md.us/asp/statutes_Respond.asp?article=gcr&section=4-
    203&Extension=HTML
    I'm not Novus, but can google-fu

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There you go throwing around "appropriatly" . There are at least four different answers to this line of discussion :
    1. Md actual Law
    2. Federal actual Law ( when applicable).
    3. Whatever a random LE official happens to say at a particular moment.
    4. Actual Reansonable & Prudent.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    There you go throwing around "appropriatly" . There are at least four different answers to this line of discussion :
    1. Md actual Law
    2. Federal actual Law ( when applicable).
    3. Whatever a random LE official happens to say at a particular moment.
    4. Actual Reansonable & Prudent.
    So True! If the LE that pulls you over does not like how you are transporting you got trouble. Be safe and have in a locked case with ammo in separate part of vehicle.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Incorrect.

And there is no law in MD that says the mag must be in a separate compartment of the vehicle.

I believe he(BuRNMIA) is referring to loaded mags when entering a range. There are ranges that have signs stating, NO LOADED MAGS. I have asked about this rule and been told the sign says it all.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Incorrect.

^^^^^^

THIS

Loaded mags are fine for transport, Gun Ranges have their own policy. AG ruling attached.

Attachments

• MD AG Opinion Loaded mags.pdf
      37.5 KB · Views: 230

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    ^^^^^^

THIS

Loaded mags are fine for transport, Gun Ranges have their own policy. AG ruling attached.

That is about as clear a ruling as we are ever going to get out of the AG. Downloaded and filed for future ref. Thanx.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Whenever I would drive to the range, I always have my rifle in a rifle bag and my loaded mags in a separate bag in my trunk. If I have a handgun with me, the pistol will be in a pistol bag and the loaded mags in a separate bag, also in the trunk.

Am I carrying them appropriately? Should I carry my mags unloaded?

You are carrying appropriately.

No, you do not have to unload your mags. This has been discussed many times and I see you already have the AG's letter. The confusion originated when it was published long ago, I believe by the DNR, with regard to hunting rifles that have internal magazines, that having bullets inside the gun (even if not in the chamber) did constitute a 'loaded' firearm. This bit of history got lost and because of many other counterintuitive MD laws, the story grew. Years later thanks to the AG for making it perfectly clear; we need to move on.

^^^^^^

THIS

Unfortunately, there is a range or two that have this policy, and that is well within their right. At one time this was the policy at 'On Target', but the last time I was there, the guy at the counter said magazines with bullets in them is not a loaded gun. Gold star for them.

The other range noticed that has a no bullets in magazine policy is/was continental arms. They had/have signs on every door to this effect. I politely inquired, and it seemed they were well aware of the law and were sticking to their policy. I don't like that they are perpetuating the misunderstanding with this silly policy; but I respect that it is their shop and their rules inside their shop. I vote with my feet.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here are the relevant portions of MD Statute 4-203 on transport:

(3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;
    (4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides or within the confines of a business establishment that the person owns or leases;

dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    I might be going to a friend's property in Strassburg over the weekend to shoot at his 7 acre property. What is the proper way now of transporting handguns and rifles from MD to VA?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Unloaded, in an enclosed holster or case. VA is much more enlightened about firearms than MD is.

Ammo can be with the firearm, just not in it. Loaded magazines are ok as well. Virigna is an open carry state, which means as soon as you are in VA,, you can carry the pistol on your person, as long as it's in plain sight.

Last edited:

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Either way keep everything out of sight and if you are pulled over and a leo asks about the contents of your vehicle, say personal property. If they ask to search without a warrant say no, to avoid a Terry search.

Mikethevike

Jul 29, 2013
    Howard County
    I understand that you may loan a handgun to a friend as long as they are not prohibited from having possession of it. How do you take it to their home without violating the rule about illegally transporting a firearm?
    How about stopping at friend's home to drop off a firearm (loaning it to him) before going to work then retrieving it in the evening to go to the range? I was looking for a way to go shooting after work without having to make a 70 mile round-trip...
    Seems crazy not to be allowed to do this. A massive waste of natural resources. Of course leaving the firearm in the trunk during the workday would be worse.
    Any opinions?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    You could claim to be a "bona fide" collector and showing part of your collection. Another good reason to get DC status IMO. Once you have "shown" part of your collection, lend it to him for the day and retrieve on your way home. No definition in the MD statute about what a "bona fide collector" is

Keep the unloaded weapon in your trunk and never consent to a search.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom