• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Some of you are probably aware that Delegate Michael Smigiel is looking to run for the Senate seat opened when E.J. Pipkin made a recent career change and moved out of state.

I will personally say that when it come to your Second Amendment rights in Maryland, there will be a hard time finding someone who has worked harder or is more steadfast than Mike.

You have heard his energy in public. The truth is that his intensity remains steadfast in private - in those quiet discussions between lawmakers where concerns are discussed openly and information that makes people see things differently are exchanged.

I can personally vouch for Mike and say that last year's session would have been much worse without his tireless work. He was one of two or three lawmakers who were constantly working the issues with peers that were generally inclined to do whatever the Governor wanted. He sat face to face with many of them, and taught them that differences in style, grip, color and name of a firearm really don't make something more dangerous. He showed that registration was not only a bad idea, but dangerous to people state wide. He worked with some key people on the other side to open some doors and begin a conversation that many never expected to happen. And when things started going sideways, he was sometimes the only voice in the room to call these laws what they are: civil right violations.

Mike changed votes and outcomes. The ban was intended to be much worse, and he was one of the few who modified outcomes. He was key in our victory to defeat registration.

There are good people looking to pick up Senator Pipkin's seat. We are blessed that most of them appear to view the world in ways we would like. I do not know them all on a personal level, and do not want to cast aspersion on one. All I can say is that Mike is a man I trust. I wish I could share more.

To the extent you can help Mike, I think you are helping the cause. I would suggest a call to his office to help. I know the Central Committee members of the counties in District 36 are meeting today to decide on who should be endorsed by the state party. Your voice in that process is important - regardless of who you want to see in the hot seat. If you live in this District, you should get involved today.

We've lost another great friend in the move of E.J. Pipkin to Southern Methodist University in Texas. Much like Mike, E.J. was on constant alert and worked hard in the Senate to make changes that matter. I miss his leadership and look forward to seeing someone take his reigns and continue to make a difference again.

These are my personal views and the MSI Board, execs or management were not involved in this post. I speak only for myself

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Great post. I agree with everything. Having worked with Mike personally during the last session, I cannot say enough about the man.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    +1 ...

We need strong voices in the Senate even though it means grooming a new delegate to take Smigiel's place.

Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    Some of you are probably aware that Delegate Michael Smigiel is looking to run for the Senate seat opened when E.J. Pipkin made a recent career change and moved out of state.

I will personally say that when it come to your Second Amendment rights in Maryland, there will be a hard time finding someone who has worked harder or is more steadfast than Mike.

You have heard his energy in public. The truth is that his intensity remains steadfast in private - in those quiet discussions between lawmakers where concerns are discussed openly and information that makes people see things differently are exchanged.

I can personally vouch for Mike and say that last year's session would have been much worse without his tireless work. He was one of two or three lawmakers who were constantly working the issues with peers that were generally inclined to do whatever the Governor wanted. He sat face to face with many of them, and taught them that differences in style, grip, color and name of a firearm really don't make something more dangerous. He showed that registration was not only a bad idea, but dangerous to people state wide. He worked with some key people on the other side to open some doors and begin a conversation that many never expected to happen. And when things started going sideways, he was sometimes the only voice in the room to call these laws what they are: civil right violations.

Mike changed votes and outcomes. The ban was intended to be much worse, and he was one of the few who modified outcomes. He was key in our victory to defeat registration.

There are good people looking to pick up Senator Pipkin's seat. We are blessed that most of them appear to view the world in ways we would like. I do not know them all on a personal level, and do not want to cast aspersion on one. All I can say is that Mike is a man I trust. I wish I could share more.

To the extent you can help Mike, I think you are helping the cause. I would suggest a call to his office to help. I know the Central Committee members of the counties in District 36 are meeting today to decide on who should be endorsed by the state party. Your voice in that process is important - regardless of who you want to see in the hot seat. If you live in this District, you should get involved today.

We've lost another great friend in the move of E.J. Pipkin to Southern Methodist University in Texas. Much like Mike, E.J. was on constant alert and worked hard in the Senate to make changes that matter. I miss his leadership and look forward to seeing someone take his reigns and continue to make a difference again.

These are my personal views and the MSI Board, execs or management were not involved in this post. I speak only for myself
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :goodpost:

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    Mike would have my vote if I was in his district. He has been instrumental in helping out with the 8 day wait fiasco and has been an outstanding resource to me while maintaining the "Live dealer update" spreadsheet. His office is also an outstanding team!

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Mike would have my vote if I was in his district. He has been instrumental in helping out with the 8 day wait fiasco and has been an outstanding resource to me while maintaining the "Live dealer update" spreadsheet. His office is also an outstanding team!

This.

Not only is Delegate Smigiel our best friend in Annapolis, his Chief of Staff, Andi, is one of the most genuinely nice/helpful people I met in Annapolis. She even provided personal cell numbers for herself and Mike so that we could call at any time.

On three separate occasions, Andi left an in-session Judiciary meeting on SB281 to help US out in order to assist with logistical issues and issues we were having with capitol police during our rallies. She was responding real time during markups and testimony and relaying information to Delegate Mike. On several occasions, the Delegate brought up issues and questions that we were relaying.

They were both available at a moment's notice and whatever progress we made during the spring would have been lost or greatly hindered if it weren't for their assistance and willingness to accommodate anyone and everyone. Myself, Flyingblind, Dblas, Hopalong and many others practically lived in his office during crunch time. He even gave up his own seat at his own desk so that we could work.

I could go on and on. Anyone who questions Delegate Mike on this issue is a fool and a moron. End of story.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    +9001 (just so it's over 9000!)
    I watched him work in the House and briefly met him afterwards. Even though he's not representing my district, he does stand for many of my interests and he was one of the few down there telling it like it is. He'd get my vote.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I hate to lose him in the House, but he will be great in the Senate. I wish him well with this endeavor. I hope he is replaced with someone who can rise to be his equal in the House.

Multifaceted

Jerk of all Trades
    Jan 10, 2013
    Adams County, PA
    Del. Mike is great on many issues, not just 2A. He is an advocate of COTUS and the Bill of Rights, and is about as good as one can ask in a local statesman. Anyone who's been following Mike for years knows this.

AKbythebay

Ultimate Member
    I live in Mike's district and he's a good guy and he's available - I run into him all the time. How many other politicians do you actually see around the community, and NOT only when re-election time rolls around. He will make an excellent senator

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    I do live in Mike's District and he will get my vote, my time and my financial support to help him in any way I can.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    Not in my District but +1. With all the pro Mike responses, my personal belief based on independent research, and despite some misguided bashing by one or two individuals with obvious disdain/personal agendas not aligned with the 2A cause, you can't go wrong with this guy. :) BTW, another Mike to vote for is Mike Blizzard (I think the 34th District - Harford), he is a definite 2A supporter, so give him your consideration if you are in his district.

rwbow1969

Get Wiffit
    Dec 10, 2011
    Clearspring
    I'm not in Mikes district either but, you gotta love this guy. He fought to no end for us. I'll support him any way I can. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks to Norton this thread cleaned up nicely. :D

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Didn't think my post pointing out other accomplishments and agendas of Del. Smigiel was bad enough to be removed. Anyways, glad that he is in the GA and hope it becomes Senator Smigiel - has a nice ring to it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom