• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I long for the day when the Supreme Court just comes out and says, bluntly, that the purpose of 2A is so that the American people are armed and dangerous, that we should have the tools, training and experience to discourage government from becoming tyrannical, and throw it out and reconstitute it should the need arise. Then I awaken from my dream...

DaveP

Jan 27, 2013
    St. Marys county
    Whatever happened to that $500,000 loan Brown took from the Laborers International Union to prop up his failed gubernatorial campaign and then failed to repay?

Pepperidge Farms remembers....

kmittleman

Nov 22, 2010
    Howard County
    View attachment 442783
    You are subscribed to News Releases for the Maryland Attorney General. A new press release has been issued.
    Did someone forward you this email? Sign up to get our Press Releases in your inbox.

AGB_PRheader

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
    November 30, 2023
    Media Contacts:
    press@oag.state.md.us
    410-576-7009​
    Attorney General Brown Joins Multistate Amicus Brief to Uphold Laws Restricting Gun Magazine Capacity
    Coalition of 18 Attorneys General Argue Large-Capacity Magazines Are Not Protected by the Second Amendment Because They Are Not Commonly Used for Self-Defense  
    BALTIMORE, MD – Maryland Attorney General Anthony G. Brown has joined a coalition of 17 other Attorneys General supporting California’s efforts to restrict the capacity of firearms magazines within its borders. The coalition filed an amicus briefyesterday in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit Court, arguing that California’s prohibition on the possession and sale of large-capacity magazines is consistent with the Second Amendment to the Constutution. 
    “There is no justification for large-capacity magazines in the hands of everyday citizens,” said Attorney General Brown. “These devices that pose a threat to our communities are more suitable on the battlefield. I am committed to keeping common-sense restrictions in place on these deadly devices.
    The case, Duncan vs. Bonta, concerns the constitutionality of a California law that allows for possession and sale of firearms magazines that accept up to ten rounds of ammunition, but prohibits larger capacity magazines (LCM). The U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California issued a preliminary injunction against California’s LCM ban, and California has appealed the decision. The Ninth Circuit has stayed the lower court’s preliminary injunction while it considers California’s appeal granted, allowing the law to remain in effect for now.  
    In the brief, the coalition argues that California’s large-capacity magazine law is a constitutionally permissible restriction because:  
    • To encourage public safety, states can and do impose restrictions on dangerous weapons, accessories, and ammunition that pose a threat to communities: States have widely adopted reasonable restrictions on the public carry, possession, and sale of many types of weapons, accessories, and forms of ammunition that are not suitable for self-defense and undermine the public’s safety. These restrictions are intended to reduce injuries and deaths, while leaving many other options available for individuals who wish to exercise the core Second Amendment right to self-defense.  
    • Large-capacity magazines are not protected by the Second Amendment because they are not “Arms,” and they are not commonly used or suitable for self-defense: The Second Amendment protects only firearms that are commonly used or suitable for self-defense. Large-capacity magazines are neither. Instead, they facilitate the infliction of more injuries and more deaths when used in mass shootings and other forms of gun violence. 
    • California’s law is consistent with a historical tradition of regulating and imposing restrictions on new and distinctively dangerous forms of weaponry: Historical gunpowder storage laws and other rules and regulations were explicitly intended to prevent threats to public safety by limiting the aggregation of arsenals far beyond what would be sufficient for self-defense. Many state and federal laws throughout American history have also regulated specific dangerous weapons or accessories used for criminal and other violent purposes, such as machine guns or short-barreled shotguns.
    In submitting the brief, Attorney General Brown joins the Attorneys General Andrea of Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Oregon, New Jersey New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Washington, and Wisconsin.
    I thought they were already restricted with SB281 (2013).

crabjoe

Aug 4, 2023
    Ceciltucky
    I long for the day when the Supreme Court just comes out and says, bluntly, that the purpose of 2A is so that the American people are armed and dangerous, that we should have the tools, training and experience to discourage government from becoming tyrannical, and throw it out and reconstitute it should the need arise. Then I awaken from my dream...

It's not just worrying about our own government. I've heard it said more than once that the Japanese never even thought about a ground invasion because the citizens were armed. Look at what recently happened in Israel. The only positive story I heard about the initial attack, from the so called Palestinians, were that there was one Kibbutz that had some of their citizens armed. That small number of people were able to fend of these foreign invaders!

GenoBluzGtr

Mar 23, 2018
    Such an embarrassment to live in a "People's Republic" that gets lumped in with CA, NY, IL, etc... and unfortunately, with 49.5 million new potential voters nationwide (illegal aliens), the left will only keep pushing and pushing.

Snardo

Nov 25, 2019
    It is interesting that some of the states joining in on the amicus brief don’t, themselves, have magazine limits. :shrug:
    At least for now, anyway. I'd read that list as a list of states hoping to enact such limitations if the Cali ban stands.

Has there been any move afoot recently to fight the MD ban on std cap mags? Or are the various freedom loving orgs waiting to see how the current stuff out in Cali works out first?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Had a chance to listen to this. Seems it was for a preliminary injunction … sounds like it will be 2/1 to leave in place. woman judge heavily anti 2a. one male judge sounded middle anti2a. And one male judge, I think name was walker???? Sounds mildly pro 2a

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    As long as those in high office ignore the Constitution and do what they want based on their opinions, Patriots will ignore their "laws" (read edicts) and do what they want based on what they know to be truly lawful under the Constitution. Unfortunately, that's the world we find ourselves in. There was a time when Patriots respected elected people. That day has long since passed. Why should the people respect elected officials who don't respect the will of the people? They should be seen as what they are...traitors.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    As long as those in high office ignore the Constitution and do what they want based on their opinions, Patriots will ignore their "laws" (read edicts) and do what they want based on what they know to be truly lawful under the Constitution. Unfortunately, that's the world we find ourselves in. There was a time when Patriots respected elected people. That day has long since passed. Why should the people respect elected officials who don't respect the will of the people? They should be seen as what they are...traitors.
    Much as I loathe most of Maryland's legislators, state and local, I have to admit that they in fact respect the will of the people -- at least, the large majority here in Maryland.

We were created a republic to somewhat insulate the government from the will of the mob, but much of the protection has been legislated away, while the government has spent our money on an educational system that has failed, for generations, to teach its students to think. Indoctrination has been the rule, for fifty years or more.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    They win votes by keeping the gun infringement chit-show alive and well. Maryland is the land of dumb voters that want others to mandate what they can do.

Apd09

May 30, 2013
    Westminster, MD

Ask those “Patriots” In Washington that just agreed to a 3.5million dollar fine for selling high capacity magazines if they agree with your statement about ignoring all unconstitutional laws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom