• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OldLawman

Oct 18, 2011
    Catonsville
    With no offense intended, you should not have moved into Maryland. Instead, VA was the better choice. If your wife has to work in DC anyway, it would not matter whether she travels north to work, or south. Miserable commute either way.

The AG, who is running for governor next, will most certainly appeal any decision contrary to the current law, if we get a favorable ruling at the Federal Court of Appeals. Which will in turn hold everything up. So anyone thinking that as soon as the decision comes down, that MSP will suddenly open the floodgates is sadly mistaken.

lawlor

SheepDog
    Jan 28, 2013
    With no offense intended, you should not have moved into Maryland. Instead, VA was the better choice. If your wife has to work in DC anyway, it would not matter whether she travels north to work, or south. Miserable commute either way.

The AG, who is running for governor next, will most certainly appeal any decision contrary to the current law, if we get a favorable ruling at the Federal Court of Appeals. Which will in turn hold everything up. So anyone thinking that as soon as the decision comes down, that MSP will suddenly open the floodgates is sadly mistaken.

We're actually looking to move to Virginia here very soon. I work in Gaithersburg and she works up in Thurmont not DC luckily.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Depends :)

If you want me to avoid the face, that's extra...

If you want the 'package' deal where I also send threatening letters to your house - I can give a 10% discount. :innocent0

I really want my permit. I'll take three not in the face beatings and five letters. This could turn out to be quite a good business for you. If everyone pays in cash, you would qualify for your own permit.:D

MTHall720

Jan 15, 2012
    I moved to MD 3 years ago. I hate to say this brother but I am beginning to think what I first heard from a FFL dealer I know is probably the best way to sum it up. The quote was "Welcome to the People's Republic of Maryland"'. I wish this would change but maybe not real soon.

lawlor

SheepDog
    Jan 28, 2013
    I moved to MD 3 years ago. I hate to say this brother but I am beginning to think what I first heard from a FFL dealer I know is probably the best way to sum it up. The quote was "Welcome to the People's Republic of Maryland"'. I wish this would change but maybe not real soon.

It just baffles me to see that Maryland is worse than California in this aspect.

Feb 28, 2013
    That's right. Someone has to try to kill you first. And even then you have to prove that to the state. You have the burden of proof.

In PA all you have to do is not be a felon.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For the OP's purpose , just over the line in Pa would give the wife zero commute , and still be quite reasonable to G'burg. Less time than any vaguely affordable part of Va. If for some reason you didn't care for Pa , the Harpers Ferry area of WV would be about equal for each of you.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Here's the thing about Md vs CA . Cali issues CCWs on a County by County basis. If you systematically go Sheriff shopping , you can eventually find one who : is related to you , accepts $ of some flavor ( bribes , kickbacks , or campain contributions ) , is a political ally of yours , or simply takes a semi-reasonable attitude to 2A . In Md their is uniform process run by the MSP for the whole state. Same situation applies in Mass and NY State. The purchase regs are worse than (pre S281 ) Md. Most cities and counties issue at lower rates than Md statewide , but a few ( in either raw number , or population ) do issue more frequently. But again relating to OP , he is within semi-reasonable mutual commuting distance of Va , Pa , and WV , all of which are no hassle Shall Issue.

cunninghamrjr

nw2guns
    Feb 6, 2013
    Steps to get carry permit:
    1. Wait for act of violence against you or your family.
    2. Go to local gun shop try to purchase handgun for protection.
    3. Wait currently 45 days.
    4. Pickup gun.
    5. Apply for carry permit.
    6. Show proof of act of violence or threat.
    7. Wait up to 6 months for denial letter.
    8. Appeal
    9. Wait some more.
    10. Get final denial letter.
    11. Move to Texas.

lawlor

SheepDog
    Jan 28, 2013
    Steps to get carry permit:
    1. Wait for act of violence against you or your family.
    2. Go to local gun shop try to purchase handgun for protection.
    3. Wait currently 45 days.
    4. Pickup gun.
    5. Apply for carry permit.
    6. Show proof of act of violence or threat.
    7. Wait up to 6 months for denial letter.
    8. Appeal
    9. Wait some more.
    10. Get final denial letter.
    11. Move to Texas.

Well here in a couple years that may be a reality. :thumbsup:

Villain

Mar 13, 2012
    We should all get together and kick each other @sses, get it documented and request CCW's. What do you think? :)

ENT Shooter

Aug 21, 2011
    Towson Maryland
    I have had a Handgun Permit here for 10 years. It was enormously hard to get. I got it originally on the basis of carrying cash for my business. Many hoops were set up to jump through, and you have to do the dance all over again every 3 years whereby they try to grab it back each time. It is very painful.

dibbleg

Apr 10, 2012
    Odenton
    If you own or manage a bussiness with history of cash flow, you're semi-good ( likely to recieve w/ restrictions).

This is the first time i've seen anything related to a manager of a business. Is this true? I run a small business in md for the owner who lives in another state whom runs the sister business out there. I make all the cash deposits for the MD location as well. Would I have a "good & substantial" reason to carry? How far back do the deposit records have to go?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For Dibbleg a cpl posts above.

Yes. Does require written permision of the Owner, in addition to the usual documentation.

Historically these permits were restricted " between residence , place of business , and bank " .

Multiple mmembers here report that currently the language includes " and while transporting business currency " . There has been debate as just what that means , but at the least that should include receiving payments off premesis , making payments, and buying equipments and supplies.

ericahls

Aug 31, 2011
    Elkridge MD
    For Dibbleg a cpl posts above.

Yes. Does require written permision of the Owner, in addition to the usual documentation.

Historically these permits were restricted " between residence , place of business , and bank " .

Multiple mmembers here report that currently the language includes " and while transporting business currency " . There has been debate as just what that means , but at the least that should include receiving payments off premesis , making payments, and buying equipments and supplies.

This is how MSP Licensing Division defines Business Currency:

"Greetings, business currency is cash or checks for your business or from your business to the bank or where ever you conduct business transactions with currency."
    - Sgt Michael A Jones
    MSP - Licensing Division.

You had better be the owner of said business or you will be on a very short leash.

I got my permit last year and carry every day. I don't carry a lot of "Business Currency" but what I do carry is carried in a clearly marked envelope stating that the contents within is Business Currency.

Good luck with getting your permit, it ain't going to be easy, unless you and O'Malley play golf together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom