Maryland Small Arms Range - What an experience! (in a bad way)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeCee

May 8, 2013
    Bought my first handgun at MSAR (the old range) and fired it for the first time there as well. My wife learned to shoot in their classroom. I must have been there 50-60 over a ten year period and took a number of friends and family there, many of those for their first time.

We'd occasionally see the "gangster wannabees" there, including one guy who was trying to teach his girlfriend to shoot by showing her how to "dominate the gun" which involved jerking his arm forward and firing everytime his arm reached full extension.

The last time my wife and I went we had huge problems with the guy next to us who decided to check out my wife's Browning without asking. Yes, he just reached over and picked it up. Things got very testy when I told him to put it down. When I got back into my lane and started shooting, he shot my target off the black. I put my revolver down, stepped out and called him on it. He just took his range bag and walked away.

He was sitting at a table joking around with some LEO's when I came out (that worried me). As I was checking out, I asked the guy behind the counter about him who confirmed that he was a PG County police officer and a good-friend of the owner.

We never went back.

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    He was sitting at a table joking around with some LEO's when I came out (that worried me). As I was checking out, I asked the guy behind the counter about him who confirmed that he was a PG County police officer and a good-friend of the owner.

We never went back.

This really sounds like a disastrous gun environment, fully supported by the owners. I had planned on checking this place out--thanks for the warning.

heavy1metal

Jul 26, 2013
    Shot there this past weekend (new place ofc) with a buddy - was in the rifle lanes. There was a wait so I decided to peep into the pistol lanes to people watch. Saw some sideways standing one arm-toting shooters, was happy to learn the rifle lanes didn't have the same minded people. Saw one guy holding the gun in hand painting the person he was talking to.

So if you go, try to get a rifle lane. I don't think most of the customers realize it's just a deeper lane.

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    I saw a street thug renting a short barrel pistol grip shotgun and I figured that he was in training for liquor store holdups. Someday, I would come up against him at work.

I take it that you are an LEO? If so I would love to find out where you work! :innocent0

I would also like to find out how to differentiate between a "street thug" and an ordinary citizen, please help!

FTJoe

Aug 27, 2012
    SOMD
    Shot there this past weekend (new place ofc) with a buddy - was in the rifle lanes. There was a wait so I decided to peep into the pistol lanes to people watch. Saw some sideways standing one arm-toting shooters, was happy to learn the rifle lanes didn't have the same minded people. Saw one guy holding the gun in hand painting the person he was talking to.

So if you go, try to get a rifle lane. I don't think most of the customers realize it's just a deeper lane.

and that's the secret. always bring a rifle and get a rifle lane to shoot both rifles and pistols. I've never seen bad behavior in the rifles lanes.

some of the folks that shoot in the pistol lanes can't/don't own pistols (or rifles). MSAR rents pistols, so the folks who can't/don't own pistols will rent them (no background check to rent, just 21yo) and spend a few hours in the pistol lanes shooting a rented gun in a manner that may not be approved by responsible gun owners. they were either never taught the correct way (handling or shooting), or are just showing off for their friends.

one drawback in the rifle lanes will be increased noise, but I always wear double hearing protection indoors.

Domino

Feb 22, 2013
    Calvert County
    If you don't like the "uneducated" or "undesirable" firearm patrons who frequent MSAR -- don't go! Quite frankly, I have seen the same thing at many outdoor ranges. Everyone needs to begin somewhere. IMO the indoor/outdoor range staff is friendly and WILL answer questions - if you ask. Newbies tend .to be intimated by some of the "know-it-alls. We ALL needed to be taught the basics of firearm sometime in life. Safe gun handling is EVERYONE's responsibility

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I did not have to read any range rules or safety briefing at MSAR the first time I went. I found that to be unusual. A basic safety briefing rather than them assuming my friend and I knew what we were doing would have been reassuring.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    If you don't like the "uneducated" or "undesirable" firearm patrons who frequent MSAR -- don't go! Quite frankly, I have seen the same thing at many outdoor ranges. Everyone needs to begin somewhere. IMO the indoor/outdoor range staff is friendly and WILL answer questions - if you ask. Newbies tend .to be intimated by some of the "know-it-alls. We ALL needed to be taught the basics of firearm sometime in life. Safe gun handling is EVERYONE's responsibility

:goodpost:
    Love the place and they got great people working there, 1000% improvement over the old range. Wish Carl would join MDS as a IP!

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    As a retired LEO, I think I know firearm safety. It was drummed into me every time I qualified. However, it may be a good idea for 1st time shooters to sit through a safety class. I think Gilbert's does. I don't know about other ranges.

Dirichlet

Jan 3, 2013
    I was at MSAR on Tuesday after work, and had one of the rifle ranges to myself. That's my 4th time at the new facility, and I have no complaints thus far.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    MSAR not releasing until ND

MSAR continues to refuse to do an 8th day release like 30+ other firearms dealers in Maryland are doing. Even after the ATF and the MSP have confirmed that it is legal to do so.:mad54:

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    MSAR continues to refuse to do an 8th day release like 30+ other firearms dealers in Maryland are doing. Even after the ATF and the MSP have confirmed that it is legal to do so.:mad54:

Are they at least telling current and new customers to plan on getting a HQL since at this point, paperwork will not be back by 10/1? If not I can see that as misleading the customer and ammo for a lawsuit.

Robert1955

Ultimate Member
    Dec 25, 2012
    Glen Burnie

When I stopped in last night, 8/13, to pick up my 4/19 purchase I asked politely why they have not worked out a 8 to 10 day release policy. The guy working my transfer said we have a very good reason and started digging behind the counter. He then pulled out a xerox copy of the scumpaper article about the 30 firearms released before the MSP finished and had to go collect. I just said really????? and completed picking up my G17. Don't plan on giving them another penny.

fire_medic

Nov 16, 2008
    Calvert County
    When I stopped in last night, 8/13, to pick up my 4/19 purchase I asked politely why they have not worked out a 8 to 10 day release policy. The guy working my transfer said we have a very good reason and started digging behind the counter. He then pulled out a xerox copy of the scumpaper article about the 30 firearms released before the MSP finished and had to go collect. I just said really????? and completed picking up my G17. Don't plan on giving them another penny.

30 out of an estimated 30,000, so .001%.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013

My response would have been "So have those dealers been shut down? No? Ah, because they were within their legal right to release, they just should have had a contingent release instead of no release at all"

ASTC

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    As indicated in the original post, this happened at the "old" Md. Small Arms Range. The new range at 9801 Fallard Court is a vast improvement over the old one. Better target carriers, better air flow, etc. I don't think you can shoot down the lights at the new range - - even if you tried. $20.00 for a lane with 2 shooters all day doesn't seem to be an unreasonable price. You can bring your own ammo and fire handguns, rifles and shotguns. If you haven't been there, check it out. Weekends are busy so you might want to try it during the week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom