Maryland Small Arms Range - What an experience! (in a bad way)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trek4Ward

Hooligan #10
    Mar 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    Wow! After reading all this I almost think the Dem's were on to something with their new handgun safety training requirements! Perhaps they'd been to this range. :lol2: Crazy stuff!

B

blkshooter

Any pics of new MSAR range

Anyone have pics of the new MSAR range and what can you fire? Is it indoor or outdoo??

Americus

Feb 9, 2013
    Damn. We should all bring some 50BMGs there and wait to see how long it takes someone to say something.

Or black powder handguns.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Went plinking with my GF at MSAR yesterday afternoon. Blew through 500 rounds of Winchester SuperX .22LR between us, using my M&P22 and M&P15-22. The 22 seems to have occasional issues with the SuperX, but the 15-22 went through it with no trouble.

The range was pretty quiet. We were in the 2nd rifle range, and only one other lane was occupied by a couple of Latino guys. I didn't hear too much shooting from the other ranger, either. The counter jock mentioned they had 375-round boxes of .22LR for about $40, in case anyone's looking.

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    MSAR posted on their facebook the other day that they no longer have a 1 box limit on ammo. It's now 4 boxes on everything but .22. That is still 1 box limit.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    I haven't seen the thugs in MSAR... Are you talking about kids from the suburbs of upper Marlboro wanna be thugs? Lol those boys are far from thugs. Just posers and I agree posers don't need to be anywhere near guns. But I haven't experienced them yet.

RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I'm reviving this thread 'cuz I'm a new guy on this forum and I feel the need to weigh in...

I'm a fan of MSAR. I used to go to On Target, and started coming to the new MSAR because of the rifle range, and, frankly, I find the staff at MSAR to be nothing but polite and friendly. I've been there 6 times now (new place only), rented lanes, handguns, bought ammo, asked questions, etc. and had nothing but positive experiences. In fact, the only negative I had was when one of the counter guys once hung my driver's license on the wrong lane number...which wasn't a big deal (unless they would have handed it off to someone else by mistake, which luckily didn't happen).

As far as the clientele, I have engaged in conversation with people in other lanes about weapons, ammo, etc. and have never had a bad experience; everyone I've met there has been really friendly. Granted, I am a freelancer so I have the advantage of going when it's not busy, i.e. weekdays during the days, so that might have something to do with it, but haven't seen anyone hold a Glock sideways (yet!).

I'm even going tomorrow with my new (actually 100 days old, thanks to MSP) SR22!

RF

ED O

May 18, 2013
    Lusby
    I was just there today picking up my 9mm and while testing it out the guy and his girlfriend next to me had no clue what they were doing. I had to show them how to load the mag and how the P226 they rented functioned. Since I was stuck shooting in the lane next to them I went over basic gun/range safety. I was nervous the whole time they were there shooting. They seem nice enough but MSAR should screen people renting guns to at least make sure they know which end is the dangerous end. When the guy was done shooting he asked me to make sure that the gun was safe to turn back in.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    I was just there today picking up my 9mm and while testing it out the guy and his girlfriend next to me had no clue what they were doing. I had to show them how to load the mag and how the P226 they rented functioned. Since I was stuck shooting in the lane next to them I went over basic gun/range safety. I was nervous the whole time they were there shooting. They seem nice enough but MSAR should screen people renting guns to at least make sure they know which end is the dangerous end. When the guy was done shooting he asked me to make sure that the gun was safe to turn back in.

Part of the problem is a lot of new gun owners feel dumb asking the basic questions, good for you on helping them out. I remember my first time in a gun shop, I couldnt figure out how to unrack the slide....felt really dumb but luckily the guys were awesome and showed me how it worked. Everytime I pick up a new handgun Iook over it and ask if there is something I havent seen. I remember the first decocker I ran into, RSO was gleeful I asked.

Biggums124

Come at me bro
    May 1, 2012
    A lot of the clientele there scare me. I have never had the chance to actually shoot there but during the hour long wait (before I or the people I'm with say screw it and leave) I've seen way to many people sweep everyone in the range. Maybe I'll have to try one day in the middle of the week.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    I occasionally use MSAR when bad weather or a major event keeps me from the outside ranges at Damascus IWLA. I like the new range and the new target holders are a thin replaceable plastic that won't cause ricochets. However, when using my Mini 14 at 50 yds, the targets are poorly illuminated. According to a staff member, they have to constantly repair fixtures due to ricochets off the backstop. I worry about the other clients. I saw a street thug renting a short barrel pistol grip shotgun and I figured that he was in training for liquor store holdups. Someday, I would come up against him at work.

Watchmyshoes

Nov 8, 2012
    I occasionally use MSAR when bad weather or a major event keeps me from the outside ranges at Damascus IWLA. I like the new range and the new target holders are a thin replaceable plastic that won't cause ricochets. However, when using my Mini 14 at 50 yds, the targets are poorly illuminated. According to a staff member, they have to constantly repair fixtures due to ricochets off the backstop. I worry about the other clients. I saw a street thug renting a short barrel pistol grip shotgun and I figured that he was in training for liquor store holdups. Someday, I would come up against him at work.

What does a street thug look like exactly?? I frequent this range on a regular basis and have had good and bad experiences. I think safety should be the biggest issue anyone has. I have heard and read on this forum so many times about "gangsters" or "hoodlums" in and out of this range and that's just not the case. Do we really know everyones motive who comes to a gun range?? Are there people that are not properly trained going there?? Yes. But I have been to several ranges with this occurring. I don't think because there are African Americans or "Blacks" there that a person in the area should be deterred from visiting this establishment. Just because someone has dreads and tattoos and doesn't practice range safety doesn't automatically make them a street thug or getting ready to hold up a liquor store... Some people may be there that don't belong but I think that it is exaggerated. Maybe ppl should do like the other member and talk to them and give them some type of range safety so at least you can feel more comfortable and in the end take comfort in the fact that should you ever get into an encounter with these non-shooting, side-ways pistol holding street thugs you are better prepared.

Longvisit

Jan 2, 2013
    The new MSAR is the first range I ever went to shoot my first pistol. I'm sure there were many people were afraid of me, if just for the lack of my gun skills. Certainly some people are more serious and experienced than others but so far everyone has been nice. I've been able to help some people now, people have helped me out some. MSAR is getting a lot of new people on the range which has got to be a good thing for all of us.

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    Like ED, the shooting range at MSAR is fine. Customers there are hit or miss just given the neighborhood. You might have knowledgeable guys coming in with the latest toy like a Tavor or Kriss Vector rifle and then there are the guys coming in seeing how fast they can chew through ammo without even aiming.

I can see testing your double tap there, but I have seen guys who hold their handgun sideways and empty the mag as fast as possible. What exactly are you aiming at?? One time I pointed out to Mike (employee) some guys smelled kind of "funny" and as I was leaving I saw one of P.G.'s finest coming in to investigate. :lol2: Don't think their day at the range ended the way they planned.

All that being said, would never buy another firearm from them or have one transferred through them. They don't know what is and is not regulated outside of a bolt action or a shotgun and they refuse to help their firearm customers in any way short of telling them how long the wait will be.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    What does a street thug look like exactly?? I frequent this range on a regular basis and have had good and bad experiences. I think safety should be the biggest issue anyone has. I have heard and read on this forum so many times about "gangsters" or "hoodlums" in and out of this range and that's just not the case. Do we really know everyones motive who comes to a gun range?? Are there people that are not properly trained going there?? Yes. But I have been to several ranges with this occurring. I don't think because there are African Americans or "Blacks" there that a person in the area should be deterred from visiting this establishment. Just because someone has dreads and tattoos and doesn't practice range safety doesn't automatically make them a street thug or getting ready to hold up a liquor store... Some people may be there that don't belong but I think that it is exaggerated. Maybe ppl should do like the other member and talk to them and give them some type of range safety so at least you can feel more comfortable and in the end take comfort in the fact that should you ever get into an encounter with these non-shooting, side-ways pistol holding street thugs you are better prepared.
    I was a LEO for 26 yrs, usually working in lower socio-economic areas of DC. When someone is poorly groomed, speaks in Ebonics, and dresses in a manner to imitate the Cripps and Bloods of South L A, I consider them a potential street thug.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I like MSAR, the place is clean, the people friendly, you can’t beat the prices, good selection of rental handguns, I can understand the prices on ammo it a business not a charity. I had them transfer one firearm for me, purchased two other firearms, will most likely purchase more from them. The only thing I wish Carl would do is join MDS as a IP. MSAR is the only range in the area so sometimes they will get busy. I like that I can shot both my rifles and pistols on the same range at not additional cost. If MSAR is are not worth your time and or money go some place else that will make my wait time shorter. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom