• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Admittedly I was physically.laid up for 2016. But '13, '14, '15 had ample turnout for Hearings and Testimony , with the main limiting factor being short notice and shifting dates to take time off from work.

Did 2016 have a major drop off in participation ?

Printing out and hauling written testimony will be more challenging without an inside hook up, but is there really anything to significantly do to increase raw numbers over the '13-'15 levels as long as the otherside still gets to play games with the scheduling ?

Meanwhile 2AT was a fixed target. Plenty of time for "us" to make arrangements, and to invite along others who are less activist.

I was laid up for '16, but in '15 I was having concerns in the back of my mind about the co-opting of 2A Tue and the long term sustainability. And particularly since 2A Tue had been a talking point at the booth, it will seem a capitulation to the larger gun owning community.

But hey, it's y'alls decision and I didn't have a standing one way or the other. Hopefully I will be wrong , and there's a double super secret plan to be even better.

In 2016 I wouldn't have had to take my shoes off to count the participants for our side which is frankly a damn shame.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    It didn't start out that way. The first year it was an MSI-led event. Then after the first year's success, others progressively became more involved until the NRA more or less was running the show in the last year or two.

I have been to all of them. My first experience was good. But this explains the event's decline, and now it's permanent demise.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It didn't start out that way. The first year it was an MSI-led event. Then after the first year's success, others progressively became more involved until the NRA more or less was running the show in the last year or two.

I have been to all of them. My first experience was good. But this explains the event's decline, and now it's permanent demise.

Last year's event was lame, I've been to funerals that had more passion. Apparently it was a half hearted effort by the NRA and MSRPA and I can see why they would want to pull the plug.

What I can't fathom is why it went this far. Someone set the date. Someone pulled the permit for Lawyers Mall. Someone told MSI that it was a go and asked them to send out their email blast a month or so ago. This was a giant cluster f*ck and everyone I've asked at the orgs says "It wasn't us." Unbelievable!

At this point it wouldn't surprise me to roll up on 7 Feb to the Deplorables event and see Lawyer's Mall filled with a "Stunt Midgets for Van Hollen" rally.

At this point I wouldn't trust the NRA and their string puppets the MSRPA, to schedule a good BM......

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    ....I was laid up for '16, but in '15 I was having concerns in the back of my mind about the co-opting of 2A Tue and the long term sustainability. And particularly since 2A Tue had been a talking point at the booth, it will seem a capitulation to the larger gun owning community.

But hey, it's y'alls decision and I didn't have a standing one way or the other. Hopefully I will be wrong , and there's a double super secret plan to be even better.

For late arrivals to the thread, here's the not-so-secret program for Feb. 7th:

2A Tuesday is cancelled, but "DEPLORABLES TUESDAY" takes its place! We have been cut loose to have the partisan rally that the NRA, MSI and MSPRA could not, by law, put on.

Yes, the official 2A Tuesday Rally on February 7th, sponsored by the NRA, (with an assist from Maryland Shall Issue and Maryland Pistol & Rifle Association) has been "redirected" to Gun Bill Days, but we, as MARYLAND SHOOTERS, are still free meet up for a rally/protest on February 7th, so come on down and join us!

With the Patriot Picket crew acting as your coordinating committee, we invite you to meet up with us and your MDS brothers and sisters on THE PUBLIC SIDEWALK at Lawyers Mall for what we are calling "DEPLORABLES TUESDAY"!

Whoa, but "what about an event permit?" and "what about those rented meeting rooms?. WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' PERMIT! As the Patriot Picket has proved, we have THE RIGHT to the public sidewalk anytime we please.

Except this year, we are inviting you to wear YOUR FAVORITE HOLSTER, to bring your GADSDEN BANNERS, and to grab A PROTEST SIGN from the many we have on hand from the Patriot Picket. Or even better, bring your own sign!

We invite to wear your CAMO--head to toe if you like. Wear your favorite GUN HAT. Wear your cowboy hat. We will also have American flags to hold. To hell with dressing business casual and being non-partisan! Our opponents aren't non-partisan. We won't be either.

We have also arranged for an appearance and short speech by some very special guests that you won't want to miss. Trust me, you will want to have your picture taken with our special guests, and to post them all over social media. We will also be alerting the mainstream media about our event outside Lawyer's Mall.

To make it easier for you to attend Deplorables Tuesday so as not to miss too much work, we will meet up at 9am on February 7th at the edge of Lawyer's Mall. Our special guests will arrive around 9:30am for their short presentation and we will all be in place with our OPEN HOLSTERS, FLAGS, and PROTEST SIGNS when the legislators cross the street in front of us at 10am.

By then we will have gotten great pictures and video for social media and you all are free to go! Short & Sweet, and to the point. We will not nag you to visit legislators--you can do that on Gun Bill Days.

See you February 7th, for the Deplorables Tuesday Rally that you've always wished you could go to!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Just trying to keep on point for the resptive threads.

Now just have to decide on holster(s) , perhaps the pair from the final MSI Open Holster event at inner harbour.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    If the MSP site can provide process updates then why is a seperate email address needed? Whatvs the difference between signing up for email through yahoo, or signing up on the MSP e77r site and having an "inbox"? Why do i have to log in to my email to get updates from MSP, when i could just log onto the MSP site and get the process updates. We all jnow gow the O'Malley admin abused access to email adresses in 2013.

This is a serious question.

Also, can we all now agree that a physical HQL card is now no longer necessary or needed, since this system can verify that HQL #? There is a bill this year to repeal having to show the HQL, and only require the #. Does showing a HQL provide any benefit?

And why couldnt this system be integrated into the existing HQL site? Potential of the HQL being overturned?

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If the MSP site can provide process updates then why is a seperate email address needed? Whatvs the difference between signing up for email through yahoo, or signing up on the MSP e77r site and having an "inbox"? Why do i have to log in to my email to get updates from MSP, when i could just log onto the MSP site and get the process updates. We all jnow gow the O'Malley admin abused access to email adresses in 2013.

This is a serious question.

Also, can we all now agree that a physical HQL card is now no longer necessary or needed, since this system can verify that HQL #? There is a bill this year to repeal having to show the HQL, and only require the #. Does showing a HQL provide any benefit?

And why couldnt this system be integrated into the existing HQL site? Potential of the HQL being overturned?

Good points, wrong thread......:D

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    In case anyone is interested, this is the half-hearted email I got yesterday from NRA-ILA.
    Maryland: Legislature Convenes for its 2017 Legislative Session

On Wednesday, January 11, the Maryland General Assembly began its 2017 Legislative Session. It is important that gun owners and sportsmen across the state of Maryland stay actively involved throughout the New Year as well as stay-tuned to NRA-ILA email alerts and www.NRAILA.org as the session progresses.

Your NRA-ILA will continue to work hard to promote and protect your Second Amendment rights, and keep you updated on the status of legislation impacting your Second Amendment rights in Maryland.

<yawn>

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    with a republican president elect, national reciprocity bill

Not to go too much off on a tangent but this bill needs 60 votes in the Senate to pass and the libs stated they will filibuster any and all pro-gun bills.

Hate to say it but national reciprocity has little chance unless Trump blows away expectations for the next two years and the republicans can capitalize on momentum for the 2018 elections where Dems are defending a ton of seats. Get the 60 then things will happen.

Uphill battle to say the least.

I have done 4-ish MSI booth events at gun shows and the backing from show attendees is lukewarm at best. MD liberal politicians have not only won in Annapolis but they have had quite an adverse effect at stamping hope and drive from residents for pro-gun legislation. One attendee said a sobering statement to me one day last fall when I was explaining what MSI was. He states, "MSI, NRA, MSRPA, NRA-ILA. How many more organizations do I need to give money to to get nothing done in MD."

It is a blue state beat down with a Republican governor who has made no positive statement on gun rights in MD which basically sends anyone who is pro 2A set to move at the first chance they can.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Not to go too much off on a tangent but this bill needs 60 votes in the Senate to pass and the libs stated they will filibuster any and all pro-gun bills.

Hate to say it but national reciprocity has little chance unless Trump blows away expectations for the next two years and the republicans can capitalize on momentum for the 2018 elections where Dems are defending a ton of seats. 60 total to be exact.

Didn't say it would pass, but the seed is planted and deep, yet those in MD want to still play defense. The prevent defense loses games.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Didn't say it would pass, but the seed is planted and deep, yet those in MD want to still play defense. The prevent defense loses games.

I hear ya.... I just wish there were more residents who thought like you. 21,000 members on this board alone yet maybe 5% back pro MD 2A groups. Physically, monetarily, etc..

People think because Trump got elected things are going to change. Maybe in states with Red majorities but in general I don't see the status quo changing. I'm thankful for the status quo because we were on the precipice of losing the second amendment all together. I'm hopeful for 2018.

Vermont is a state of anomaly. Solid Blue but very pro-2A. I wish we could figure out their recipe because I don't see MD changing it's color unless Trump can pull Baltimore and other cities out of its dependency and that's not happening. Elija Cummings keeps his thumb down on his constituents to maintain power and he isn't about to let them up and lose it.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Though not necessarily directly related directly to firearms, I felt it notable enough to share.
    A hearing for this bill is set for 1/26/2017 in the Senate at 1:00pm

SB0013 Public Safety - State Militia

Clarifying that service in the Maryland Defense Force is at will and voluntary; altering the classes of State militia; repealing the requirement that a specified individual take a specified oath; repealing specified authorization and requirements relating to organizational commanders; prohibiting the Maryland Defense Force or its members from accepting gifts, donations, gratuities, or anything of value in exchange for a service rendered; etc.

Bill text here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017RS/bills/sb/sb0013F.pdf

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Though not necessarily directly related directly to firearms, I felt it notable enough to share.

A hearing for this bill is set for 1/26/2017 in the Senate at 1:00pm

SB0013 Public Safety - State Militia

Bill text here: http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2017RS/bills/sb/sb0013F.pdf

Saw this. What is the practical application or effects of this bill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

light12pdr

MDS Supporter
    Nov 6, 2015

Hate to say it but national reciprocity has little chance unless Trump blows away expectations for the next two years and the republicans can capitalize on momentum for the 2018 elections where Dems are defending a ton of seats. Get the 60 then things will happen.

I have done 4-ish MSI booth events at gun shows and the backing from show attendees is lukewarm at best. MD liberal politicians have not only won in Annapolis but they have had quite an adverse effect at stamping hope and drive from residents for pro-gun legislation. One attendee said a sobering statement to me one day last fall when I was explaining what MSI was. He states, "MSI, NRA, MSRPA, NRA-ILA. How many more organizations do I need to give money to to get nothing done in MD."

It is a blue state beat down with a Republican governor who has made no positive statement on gun rights in MD which basically sends anyone who is pro 2A set to move at the first chance they can.

I hear you and understand your points. However, we can't give up. Sorry to admit it, but up until 2016, I was on the sidelines. It was MSI and this forum that got me activated. Reading the posts, seeing the pictures of the pickets, and most importantly, the passion made me wake up. I know that I am just one person, but maybe the following will be a trickle and not a flood. I think the pendulum is swinging our way and we will gain momentum. Especially if the courts rule in our favor. The new administration has surely changed the climate, and I believe we finally have an advantage.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I hear you and understand your points. However, we can't give up. Sorry to admit it, but up until 2016, I was on the sidelines. It was MSI and this forum that got me activated. Reading the posts, seeing the pictures of the pickets, and most importantly, the passion made me wake up. I know that I am just one person, but maybe the following will be a trickle and not a flood. I think the pendulum is swinging our way and we will gain momentum. Especially if the courts rule in our favor. The new administration has surely changed the climate, and I believe we finally have an advantage.

Welcome to the fight, I have a question for you.

How many people do you know personally, that feel the same way, but aren't involved??

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

A mountain is built one pebble at a time.

Take the long view; turn out and bring in one new member. That is how we win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom