• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There is no lack of funding, they get $10 per application.

1)MSP gets the money, but like the Highway Trust Fund, there is no proof that MSP Licensing gets that money for their expenses

2)if you know anything about business or government ... you already know that it costs the state a lot more than $10 for the time involved

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yes, but does that $10 actually cover the real cost of processing paperwork or just help subsidize it?

Does that money go into an operating fund that is available immediately, or does the department have to run on an approved, fixed budget?

The MSP has had since mid-November to address the extra overhead. Sure seems like they are moving abnormally slow, even for a government agency. There's got to be other things at play whether it's lack of funding or an ultimatum that they can only hire X amount of people to fix the backlog. Of course we've been playing the same game with NFA items for years... maybe it really is just government ineptness and low priority.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    1)MSP gets the money, but like the Highway Trust Fund, there is no proof that MSP Licensing gets that money for their expenses

2)if you know anything about business or government ... you already know that it costs the state a lot more than $10 for the time involved

but it just doesn't matter. the law is specific, 7 days to disapprove. end of story

Bagpiperer

Mar 23, 2013
    The MSP has had since mid-November to address the extra overhead. Sure seems like they are moving abnormally slow, even for a government agency.

Fiscal years run July to June, so they might not have had the budget to hire any new full-time employees. There was talk of overtime and temps, but that doesn't seem to have made a material difference thus far; as of last Friday, they're about 90 days behind.

With the start of the new fiscal year, MSP licensing has 60 new employees, but it's unclear how many of those will be working on getting the HQL stuff set up. I'd guess anyone buying today will be waiting at least four months, possibly five.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Then remove the requirmet if you cannot satisfy it. I dont care how bad your fingers bleed. A right delayed is a right denied.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I don't care where the $10 goes or if it covers the cost. The fact is when you submit the forms and the required $10 you have entered into a contract with the MSP. A contract that they are not upholding their end of.

FWIW Pa only charged $5 to do their state run PICS check.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Then remove the requirmet if you cannot satisfy it. I dont care how bad your fingers bleed. A right delayed is a right denied.

MSP don't have the authority to remove laws. Only Annapolis does.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Haides

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2012
    Glen Burnie
    I have a question about post-Oct 1st handgun sales:

If we have to go through this licensing crap, will there still be a waiting period? I mean what's the point of getting the license if they still have to check us out every single time we buy?

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    I have a question about post-Oct 1st handgun sales:

If we have to go through this licensing crap, will there still be a waiting period? I mean what's the point of getting the license if they still have to check us out every single time we buy?

To make you wait longer to get your guns. Under current management, they do not want a well armed population because that is a crime deterrent and crime keeps bringing them the votes.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Its less processing with fewer apps now! Backwards

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It's probably a temporary situation.

They just hired a bunch of new folks, so productivity will drop for a bit. Now don't get me wrong, I have and will continue to complain. :). But right now a dip should be expected. Now come August, things should start moving at a nice clip. Of course that remains to be seen...

Sure, they are getting less applications, but they have a huge pile to work off, so the input count merely gets in the queue.

Wonder what's going to happen in September? Ya think a bunch of people are going to have a holy crap! moment and purchase after Labor Day?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom