Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Added 2 ranges:
    New Holland Rifle and Pistol Club
    Atglen Sportsmen’s Club, Inc.

Removed 1 Range:
    National Academy of the Shooting Sciences
    Has not been a range for about 10 years!
    Thank you Alex for the info.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    Why is the Berwyn Rod and Gun Club, Inc. so expensive? The place hasn’t changed much, and the money collected is definitely not going towards renovations. It’s just my opinion, but it appears the range is mere income for several people, than it is for the range itself.

They should at least come out with sub-packages to accommodate the working class who unfortunately cannot shoot everyday of the week or even every weekend to get their monies worth out of the $400 annual fee. I also suggest the $200 initiation fee should be returned after X number of years, or applied to the member’s dues. Possibly have another sub-package initiation fee.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Why is the Berwyn Rod and Gun Club, Inc. so expensive? The place hasn’t changed much, and the money collected is definitely not going towards renovations. It’s just my opinion, but it appears the range is mere income for several people, than it is for the range itself.

They should at least come out with sub-packages to accommodate the working class who unfortunately cannot shoot everyday of the week or even every weekend to get their monies worth out of the $400 annual fee. I also suggest the $200 initiation fee should be returned after X number of years, or applied to the member’s dues. Possibly have another sub-package initiation fee.

Let's start with being the only (that I can find on the interwebz anyway) outdoor range in the country that was closed due to potential safety concerns with bullets impacting the neighbors, that was reopened. After mitigation efforts were put in place - multiple layers of wood and rock to keep any negligently discharged bullets from leaving the property - it was deemed safe. Rest assured that bill was rather substantial. After that financial obligation has been satisfied, more "renovations" and improvements will be made.

Let's move on to discussing property taxes in P.G. county for the property, both facilities and impact areas. Again, a chunk of change.

Visit the website for On Target: non-member rates there are $10/30 minutes and $5/each additional 30 minutes. Shoot there twice a month, every month for less than an hour and the annual Berwyn cost is covered.

Find another range/club that, after certification from the club's "class 3" officer, will allow you to draw and shoot from the holster or shoot as much full-auto as you want. How many other places can you shoot "up to but not including .50BMG" even if it is only 100 yards? 300WinMag much less .223 won't fly at pretty much any indoor range in the area.

Any other points to ponder should be directed to those folks Dave pointed out.

Right2Carry

Feb 27, 2009
    District 32
    It's a business decision, but I feel that sub-packages (with perhaps restrictions) would bring in more members and revenue.

Some people like shooting, but not every month.

justsand

Ultimate Member
    Jul 14, 2010
    monrovia md
    Let's start with being the only (that I can find on the interwebz anyway) outdoor range in the country that was closed due to potential safety concerns with bullets impacting the neighbors, that was reopened. After mitigation efforts were put in place - multiple layers of wood and rock to keep any negligently discharged bullets from leaving the property - it was deemed safe. Rest assured that bill was rather substantial. After that financial obligation has been satisfied, more "renovations" and improvements will be made.

Let's move on to discussing property taxes in P.G. county for the property, both facilities and impact areas. Again, a chunk of change.

Visit the website for On Target: non-member rates there are $10/30 minutes and $5/each additional 30 minutes. Shoot there twice a month, every month for less than an hour and the annual Berwyn cost is covered.

Find another range/club that, after certification from the club's "class 3" officer, will allow you to draw and shoot from the holster or shoot as much full-auto as you want. How many other places can you shoot "up to but not including .50BMG" even if it is only 100 yards? 300WinMag much less .223 won't fly at pretty much any indoor range in the area.

Any other points to ponder should be directed to those folks Dave pointed out.

Mt Airy out to 300 yards

jfw1103

Feb 20, 2011
    This is a great resource. We had no idea there were so many ranges. Do most places have an age limit?

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Some have multiple membership levels, each with age limits.
    If, for example you are too young to be a shooter/owner by law then you can join a "Junior Marksmanship" program as a "Junior Member" where the younger members are taught & instructed as juniors by older coaches & have access to everything the law allows as they grow into full adult membership. This may even be included as part of a "Family Membership" which is a financial incentive. Check with the club to see what options they offer specifying the age limit that concerns you as there are frequently alternatives.

As for the upper limit, heck no! We have so many old codgers it would have to be "Older than dirt":lol2:

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Awesome list! THANK YOU

great info! Thanks!

this google map thing you made is awsom. I just check out my range from the air. pretty cool. Good way to check out other ranges before you decide to go.
    Hey MODS, make this thing a sticky or something.

Thanks for the good Range info, I have been looking for some closer places to shoot.

This is a great resource.

This Thread should be stickied!!! This is such a great resource it is ashame for it to get burried in a group discussion.

Mod's Can we make this a sticky?
    Thanks, Dave

bobcul

Jul 28, 2009
    National Academy of Shooting Sciences

Anyone have any info about or ever visit the National Academy of Shooting Sciences at 122 Lafayette Avenue in Laurel? It's on the list here as a public range, but I've never heard of it, and can't find any other info online.

This was the operation of Art Cook and has been closed for quite a few years.

Art is an Olympic shooter and won the Gold Medal in England in 1948. At that time he WAS a spring chicken at age 17 ;-) See the details at; <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Cook_(sport_shooter)>

Art is now a member at Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club, shooting at the AGC Facility in Marriottsville. When we have an event like Women On Target rifle clinics, Art often shows up to coach the ladies. It is kind of neat telling them they may have been coached by an Olympic Gold Medal shooter. But then we have a couple of Olympic team shooters at Monumental.

Bob Culver

Sonofagun

Mar 8, 2011
    Montgomery Co.
    Ahhh.
    Sometimes the data is to much for it to be uploaded in the normal .xls or .csv format. I posted it on POI-Factory.com in the GPX format as it would allow far more data to be visible. I need to upload it in the .csv and .ovx (for TomTom).

DaveMP,

Have there been any requests to get the file into .gdb format?

My Garmin SP 27xx won't load .gpx files.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    DaveMP,

Have there been any requests to get the file into .gdb format?

My Garmin SP 27xx won't load .gpx files.

You should be able to open the .gpx file with Garmin MapSource. From there it looks like the data can then be transferred to your Street Pilot.
    I have Version 6.16.2 and it gives that option. I have only used MapSource twice and am not real familiar with it. You might find some information about converting the file on www.poi-factory.com

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Southern Chester County Sportsmen's and Farmers' Association
    720 Sportsman Lane
    Kennett Square, PA 19348

SCCSFA maintains a wide variety of facilities for members:

•Clubhouse with restrooms, a kitchen, and an indoor archery range.
    •Camping area behind the clubhouse.
    •15 yard pistol range.
    •25 yard range.
    •50 yard range.
    •75 yard range.
    •100 yard range.
    •Trap field
    •A lake which is stocked with trout annually

www.sccsfa.org

Membership is required.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Southern Chester County Sportsmen's and Farmers' Association
    720 Sportsman Lane
    Kennett Square, PA 19348

SCCSFA maintains a wide variety of facilities for members:

•Clubhouse with restrooms, a kitchen, and an indoor archery range.
    •Camping area behind the clubhouse.
    •15 yard pistol range.
    •25 yard range.
    •50 yard range.
    •75 yard range.
    •100 yard range.
    •Trap field
    •A lake which is stocked with trout annually

www.sccsfa.org

Membership is required.

File updated.
    Thanks