• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    This.

I have a co-worker; a gun owner, who had never even heard of the new law. He was completely unaware. He's more concerned with golf, sports, dancing with the stars (yes he's talked about it at great length with the fat cow women in my office). He mentioned owning a Glock. So I approached him and started talking about the new law. He had no idea.

Sadly, I encountered this at the range today. Father teaching daughter to shoot in the lane next to me. We start chatting. He mentions he heard something a few days ago about some new gun law going into effect. I try to give him key details. He seems disinterested. Gives me an "oh well". With so many folks, including gun owners, seeming to care zero about enumerated fundamental civil rights, I fear our society is in for an extremely rough ride, thanks to gross ignorance, laziness, and reckless stupidity.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I think the vast majority of Marylanders have yet to even figure out what SB281 means. News stories like the one above are slowly giving them a clue. As 10/1 rapidly approaches, people too preoccupied with meaningless issues like "far from" reality TV shows, lattes, and new cell phones with fruit logos are beginning to wake up. Most of them will wake up far too late for it to matter in regards to SB281, unless the court proceedings prove effective.

Yep, this is true. My brother and brother in-law, who have been listening to me rant about SB281 started buying in June after they came over for Father's Day and saw what I had. Not only that, but they were intelligent enough to ask how I got so many in such a short amount of time, so we sat down and filled out the designated collector paperwork for them to take to a notary on Monday.

Earlier this month I was talking to them and told them that it is going to SUCK that the assault weapons are going to be banned. They both said "BANNED?" They had only thought they would need a license to buy them after September 30th. The lowers and complete "assault weapons" started flowing for them at that point.

My other brother in-law went and bought two handguns, but not a single "assault weapon". Something tells me he is going to regret that when we go to the range one day.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Just by reading the threads on this board you can see that a lot of people have no idea what SB281 actually is. There have been plenty of threads by people just this month that had no idea they could not purchase more than one regulated firearm every 30 days. They had no idea that the wait for DC approval was 60+ days. No idea which dealers were releasing on time. No idea that the ND wait was 120+ days.

My brothers and brother in-laws have been relying on me to tell them what is going on, and all of them are rather intelligent guys.

Unless people have firearms as a passion, they are not going to have a clue about SB281 until they decide they want that an AR-15 in case the SHTF or they want a handgun for self/home defense. At that point, they will learn what SB281 is.

How many people have a clue what the rain tax is? How many people actually know how much tax there is on a gallon of gas? Hell, I don't even know what those two amounts are. Believe the rain tax will cost me less than $200 a year and have no clue whatsoever what the gasoline tax is. So it goes with most citizens and SB281.

Ungermc

Uses Gun-oil Aftershave
    Over the last couple months, when friends and acquaintances come up to me, somewhere in the midst of their conversation invariably are the questions, "so how would I go about buying a gun?, what would be the best gun for me?, or where can I go to buy one of those AR rifles?"

I've given them all the best answers I can and have taken a few to the range and to purchase their first firearm.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Three of the 77r's are mine but I also know of or was involved with 5 new never before transfers of regulated firearms. Some of those have not made it into the MSP stats yet.

rmiddle

Ultimate Member
    Sep 8, 2012
    Cleveland, TN
    I asked one of the employees at Duffy's yesterday what they were going to do with their remaining inventory of banned weapons after the 1st and he said he was not sure. I really do feel for these gun shop people, can't imagine losing such a large part of the market and still being able to remain in business. I guess this too is a goal of the antis.

Really though, how many people does that 100k+ applications represent? I've made 3 regulated purchases this year (2 yesterday) and people post here of buying lowers like they were pez-candy. Would it be safe to assume that there are only about 50-60k individual purchasers in that total out of the 5.8 million or so people in the state?

I was in on-target last week and everyone else was buying there 1st gun. Yes some of us bought dozens of guns but I would bet many of those applications were people buying there first gun.

Thanks
    Robert

SonOfAHut

Sep 16, 2013
    Chalk me up as one who bought their first gun due to these laws. I was terrified of them but found it necessary to get one for defense, and I'd rather get the scary thing now (which I'm no longer scared of now ;) ) than to have to submit fingerprints just to exercise a constitutional right.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Sadly, I encountered this at the range today. Father teaching daughter to shoot in the lane next to me. We start chatting. He mentions he heard something a few days ago about some new gun law going into effect. I try to give him key details. He seems disinterested. Gives me an "oh well". With so many folks, including gun owners, seeming to care zero about enumerated fundamental civil rights, I fear our society is in for an extremely rough ride, thanks to gross ignorance, laziness, and reckless stupidity.

That seems to be the mindset, at least in blue States these days - the other day while waiting in line to buy a couple last minute items, the guy next to me said he understood why everyone wanted to get an AR right now, but didn't understand why anyone needed more than one. Talk about battered gun owner syndrome. :sad20:

BMW

Feb 28, 2013
    SoMD
    I asked one of the employees at Duffy's yesterday what they were going to do with their remaining inventory of banned weapons after the 1st and he said he was not sure. I really do feel for these gun shop people, can't imagine losing such a large part of the market and still being able to remain in business. I guess this too is a goal of the antis.

Really though, how many people does that 100k+ applications represent? I've made 3 regulated purchases this year (2 yesterday) and people post here of buying lowers like they were pez-candy. Would it be safe to assume that there are only about 50-60k individual purchasers in that total out of the 5.8 million or so people in the state?

From SB281 section 4-303(b)(2):
    (2) A LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER MAY CONTINUE TO POSSESS, SELL, OFFER FOR SALE, OR TRANSFER AN ASSAULT LONG GUN OR A COPYCAT WEAPON THAT THE LICENSED FIREARMS DEALER LAWFULL POSSESSED ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013.

I'm not sure that got translated into the COMAR

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    If we have any remaining inventory that we can no longer offer for sale in MD, we will sell it out of state, most likely via gunbroker. Although I don't expect to have anything left. One of our customers is supposedly coming in at 9:30 this evening to buy up everything left....

TxAggie

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2012
    Anne Arundel County, MD

It really doesn't matter if it's 1 buyer or 100,001 buyers. The fact is that the law IS an infringement on the 2A. As we often hear the left say, rights are there not to protect the majority, but to protect the minority FROM the majority.

That's why the "90% of Marylanders support gun control" is completely irrelevant. If 90% of Marylanders thought slavery should be re instituted, it would still be wrong.

That's also why it doesn't matter what 9 people in black robes think either. They don't have the authority to strike down the Bill of Rights simply because 5 of them think it's perfectly fine.

Marksman

"Everybody's trying to get in to either get an assault rifle or a handgun that they've always wanted, and they know the deadline is coming," Loane said.

I cringe every time I hear a "gun guy" use this anti-2A propaganda phrase - "assault rifle".

Unless you paid your $200 to the BATF for a stamp and paid well over $10k for your rifle, you are not getting a "assault rifle"!

Brooklyn

I stand with John Locke.
    Jan 20, 2013
    Plan D? Not worth the hassle.
    I'd be very surprised if the number of individual buyers was even close to 50k, IMO, more like 30-40k tops.
    After buying guns for 40 years, the future requirement of having an HQL sent me over the edge, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    I spent several years of my gun budget this year alone. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that regard.
    And what really bites is that the new Sig P227 isn't available in MD yet. So, there's already a new model gun out there that I want but can't have unless I jump through the HQL hoops.:mad54:

Well post heller we can also challenge the roster process. So keep your powder dry....

daijizai

May 11, 2013
    Columbia
    Chalk me up as one who bought their first gun due to these laws. I was terrified of them but found it necessary to get one for defense, and I'd rather get the scary thing now (which I'm no longer scared of now ;) ) than to have to submit fingerprints just to exercise a constitutional right.
    Same here... I bought my first gun because of SB281, and the subsequent 6, and the NFA trust, and submitted a form 1, and the DC form, and my C&R paperwork.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If we have any remaining inventory that we can no longer offer for sale in MD, we will sell it out of state, most likely via gunbroker. Although I don't expect to have anything left. One of our customers is supposedly coming in at 9:30 this evening to buy up everything left....

:lol: Good for you. Then go to bed. You deserve a break.

RavensFan11

May 28, 2013
    Timonium
    Good chance I would have continued being a "non-gun owning" supporter of the 2nd Amendment..but thanks to Obama and Owe'Malley, I am the proud owner of 2 lovely Rugers and a regular at the local range....love being a shooter and making new friends through this. Thanks Marty!

FireAtWill

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
    Sep 12, 2013
    Frederick
    Good chance I would have continued being a "non-gun owning" supporter of the 2nd Amendment..but thanks to Obama and Owe'Malley, I am the proud owner of 2 lovely Rugers and a regular at the local range....love being a shooter and making new friends through this. Thanks Marty!

Welcome to the shooting sports and gun owners' ranks...same to all the other first time owners like you who've posted on here. We're glad you're on board. Keep shooting, keep learning, keep asking questions and keep saying 'hello'.

I went on a bit of an SB281 spree myself (3) and contributed 2 first-time buyers to the team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom