• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blu Falcon

Recon by Fire
    Aug 28, 2012
    Colorado
    http://news.msn.com/us/maryland-gun-control-law-sparks-record-gun-sales

_h366_w650_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

Frank Loane, owner of Pasadena Pawn and Gun, stands in front of a wall of rifles at his store in Pasadena, Md., Thursday, Sept. 26, 2013.

Starting Tuesday, a law takes effect in Maryland with provisions aimed at helping keep guns away from criminals and the mentally ill, and banning some assault weapons.

PASADENA, Md. — Maryland residents have been buying guns in record numbers before a law takes effect Tuesday, with provisions aimed at helping keep guns away from criminals and the mentally ill, strengthening safety training and banning 45 types of assault weapons.

Opponents decry what they call an ineffective law that will only make it harder for law-abiding citizens to exercise Second Amendment rights. They say the state also failed to prepare properly for implementation after Gov. Martin O'Malley, who is considering a run for the White House in 2016, pushed the complicated measure through the General Assembly to build his credentials for a potential Democratic primary race.

Related: Obama urges renewed push on gun control

On Thursday, opponents of the restrictions sued in federal court in Baltimore, seeking to block the legislation from taking effect. The court scheduled a hearing for Tuesday on their motion for an order that would temporarily block implementation while the court considers whether to permanently bar Maryland from enforcing the law.

When O'Malley signed the legislation in May, he highlighted a provision that will require residents who buy a handgun to be fingerprinted to own a handgun, making Maryland the sixth such state to do so.

"States with similar licensing provisions have substantially lower gun death rates than states that do not. So, if we want better results, we have to make better choices, and this legislation is part of that series of better choices that we are making," the governor said. The other states are Connecticut, Hawaii, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York.

But state Sen. Nancy Jacobs, a Republican who opposed the measure, questioned the effectiveness of the law, including the fingerprinting provision. She said she submitted the required digital fingerprints when she made a recent gun purchase and was told they could not be recognized correctly. The senator from Harford County also said criminals will find other ways to get guns, as they always have.

"They are going to continue to buy them on the street," Jacobs said. "They are going to continue to break into peoples' homes and steal them. They will get them."

The law also will limit gun magazines to 10 bullets.

It gives the state police authority similar to that of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives to check gun dealers' inventory to find out if there are guns missing or any that have been sold to disqualified purchasers.

State Sen. Brian Frosh, a Democrat who led the debate for the measure in the Senate, said while the law won't be a panacea for gun crime, its many components will save lives and prevent injuries.

"In sum, I think it will make a big difference, and the individual pieces will each make Marylanders safer," Frosh said.

Related: What now for gun control? A look at the issue

O'Malley proposed the measure in January in response to the December shooting in Newtown, Conn., where a gunman killed 20 children and six adults.

It takes effect about two weeks after a massacre at the nearby Washington Navy Yard that left 13 dead. The fatalities included six Maryland residents and the gunman, who complained of being tormented by extreme low-frequency waves. The Maryland law attempts to address firearms access by the mentally ill by preventing anyone who has been involuntarily committed to a mental health facility from owning a handgun in the state, although this provision would not have applied to the Navy Yard gunman.

The law will also ban 45 types of assault weapons, although people who own them now will be able to keep them. That provision has contributed to record sales. The Maryland State Police received 106,772 gun-purchase applications so far this year as of Sept. 20, the most recent date for which data was available Friday. That compares with 70,099 applications processed last year, which had been the previous annual record.

"There's never been this kind of increase," said state police spokesman Greg Shipley, who added that people have been applying for gun purchases at the rate of about 1,000 a day over the past two weeks.

Frank Loane, owner of Pasadena Pawn and Gun in Pasadena, said the sweeping nature of the law has brought in scores of customers this year, including elderly ones. He noted that a 90-year-old man bought a pistol last week. Loane said it has been his best year for firearm sales in the nearly seven years he has operated his store.

"Everybody's trying to get in to either get an assault rifle or a handgun that they've always wanted, and they know the deadline is coming," Loane said.

Related: Colorado lawmakers lose recalls over gun laws support

Customers have complained about the assault weapons ban, additional paperwork and a course on gun safety they will be required to take that involves shooting at a range, Loane said. Critics note that the measure will add significant new costs for gun owners, from the cost of the training course to travel to shooting ranges.

"It's a significant burden against the exercise of a fundamental civil right, and it's going to primarily harm those people who are disadvantaged — poor people in particular," said Patrick Shomo, president of Maryland Shall Issue, which advocates for gun rights.

Opponents also have criticized the state for being ill-prepared to handle the influx of people who want to buy guns before Tuesday; state police said Friday that they still have 53,784 applications that had not been processed as of Sept. 20.

Backlog or not, Vincent DeMarco, president of Marylanders to Prevent Gun Violence, hopes other states will look to Maryland as an example so criminals won't simply be able to buy guns in a neighboring state.

"The rest of the country should pay attention to what we're doing in Maryland," DeMarco said. "We are enacting the most effective tool a state can enact to reduce gun violence, and we encourage the rest of the country to do the same — for their sake and ours."

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    I asked one of the employees at Duffy's yesterday what they were going to do with their remaining inventory of banned weapons after the 1st and he said he was not sure. I really do feel for these gun shop people, can't imagine losing such a large part of the market and still being able to remain in business. I guess this too is a goal of the antis.

Really though, how many people does that 100k+ applications represent? I've made 3 regulated purchases this year (2 yesterday) and people post here of buying lowers like they were pez-candy. Would it be safe to assume that there are only about 50-60k individual purchasers in that total out of the 5.8 million or so people in the state?

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Your going to have to do alot more number crunching than that. There's a shut load of new gun buyers. So i doubt highly that there's only a small group of people with over 100k applications. It looks like people who was thinking about getting a gun for a while said to he'll with the new gun laws and all the bs that goes with getting them after October 1st. The gun stores for awhile now has been filled up with new faces. Everytime ive walked into one there was large amounts of new faces buying guns. I think most people are starting to realize come October 1st the criminal will have the upper hand thanks to omalley and company. Nothing at all is going to stop a goon from buying whatever he wants off the street and the large capacity mags these goons have access too.

But everytime they mention tough gun laws= lower crime we need to just point to Chicago and DC. And quite frankly the states that's pro2a low crime rate out numbers there little NY, ma crap! They listed like 4 places and didn't even bother pointing at Chicago, dc, California who all have bodies dropping left and right vs states like Texas, Utah, Wisconsin, Virginia, Arizona and the list goes on and on that pro2a states kill non pro2a and it's not even close. I'm so sick of these people insulting the public intelligence by throwing out 4 anti gun places vs like 30 pro gun places. Where there is conceal carry and better gun friendly laws there is low crime. Because it's hard to rob and try to pull off a homicide when the law abiding is packing heat! I've never seen a group more in denial like democrats when it comes to guns. It's sad when these people bank on Americans stupidity to allow them to spew there garbage and not be challenge. I'm hoping and praying all these law suits kill sb281 and that will put an end to Marty

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Really though, how many people does that 100k+ applications represent? I've made 3 regulated purchases this year (2 yesterday) and people post here of buying lowers like they were pez-candy. Would it be safe to assume that there are only about 50-60k individual purchasers in that total out of the 5.8 million or so people in the state?

I think the vast majority of Marylanders have yet to even figure out what SB281 means. News stories like the one above are slowly giving them a clue. As 10/1 rapidly approaches, people too preoccupied with meaningless issues like "far from" reality TV shows, lattes, and new cell phones with fruit logos are beginning to wake up. Most of them will wake up far too late for it to matter in regards to SB281, unless the court proceedings prove effective.

SigDog

Feb 11, 2013
    West Virginia

I'd be very surprised if the number of individual buyers was even close to 50k, IMO, more like 30-40k tops.
    After buying guns for 40 years, the future requirement of having an HQL sent me over the edge, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    I spent several years of my gun budget this year alone. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that regard.
    And what really bites is that the new Sig P227 isn't available in MD yet. So, there's already a new model gun out there that I want but can't have unless I jump through the HQL hoops.:mad54:

ShoreShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2013
    So if one trusts those numbers, MSP has failed to process 50% of the applications received this year.

spclopr8tr

Whatchalookinat?
    Apr 20, 2013
    TN
    I'd be very surprised if the number of individual buyers was even close to 50k, IMO, more like 30-40k tops.
    After buying guns for 40 years, the future requirement of having an HQL sent me over the edge, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
    I spent several years of my gun budget this year alone. I'm sure that I'm not alone in that regard.
    And what really bites is that the new Sig P227 isn't available in MD yet. So, there's already a new model gun out there that I want but can't have unless I jump through the HQL hoops.:mad54:

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I account for 6 apps (4 pistols, 1 AR, 1 lower) for myself plus two new buyers, my daughter (pistol) and a colleague at work (pistol and AR).

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster
    You guys are not counting unregulated firearms. There are a number of EBRs that are cash and carry in this state. Plus shotguns and hunting rifles. Not to mention the relatively small, but significant number of DIY firearms (80%s). The guys at EP Lowers have said that most of their more recent batches have gone to MD.

KingGeorge

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 30, 2013
    Yup I drive a hour away to Pasadena to do buisness with Joe @ sureshot. Smooth 8 day release. Now I can tackle funding my AR15 upper since I got my lower complete.

occbrian

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2013
    in a cave
    Yup I drive a hour away to Pasadena to do buisness with Joe @ sureshot. Smooth 8 day release. Now I can tackle funding my AR15 upper since I got my lower complete.

Joe is awesome. Just wish LaRue would send my rifles so I can do more business with him. Worth the 1 hour drive for me too.

Sent from my fire using smoke.

IGOR455

Oct 12, 2011
    glen burnout
    at our store we are selling to a lot of first time buyers. they come in and say they ae geting a ar style rifle since the morans in annapolis say they cant have them. no one admits they voted for these clowns. they have never sen a ar but they want one just in case. amazing how stupid pols can be

jvegas

Ultimate Member
    Aug 15, 2009
    at our store we are selling to a lot of first time buyers. they come in and say they ae geting a ar style rifle since the morans in annapolis say they cant have them. no one admits they voted for these clowns. they have never sen a ar but they want one just in case. amazing how stupid pols can be

Same here. Lots of girlfriends and wives buying their first guns. Had two law students buy an AR and pistol that said they never thought about owning a gun until the law passed. That same scenario has occurred many times at my store. I'm just a small shop, so I can't imagine how many first-timers went to the bigger shops.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    I will say that as a direct result of this legislation, I personally know of at least eight people who, within the last year, have purchased a firearm for the first time.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    I think the vast majority of Marylanders have yet to even figure out what SB281 means. News stories like the one above are slowly giving them a clue. As 10/1 rapidly approaches, people too preoccupied with meaningless issues like "far from" reality TV shows, lattes, and new cell phones with fruit logos are beginning to wake up. Most of them will wake up far too late for it to matter in regards to SB281, unless the court proceedings prove effective.

This.

I have a co-worker; a gun owner, who had never even heard of the new law. He was completely unaware. He's more concerned with golf, sports, dancing with the stars (yes he's talked about it at great length with the fat cow women in my office). He mentioned owning a Glock. So I approached him and started talking about the new law. He had no idea.
    He moved here from another state last year; as did I. His response: " Doesn't matter. If I want something banned I'll just go back home to get it." I explained to him that was illegal since he is a MD resident. I mentioned magazine capacity and his reply was, "Oh well at least I got my two clips." A lot of people just don't care. Same reaction from my wife when we started having to pay taxes on the rain. Shoulders shrugged and "oh well."

:sad20:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I will say that as a direct result of this legislation, I personally know of at least eight people who, within the last year, have purchased a firearm for the first time.

I'm one.

Clarification, I'm in addition to aireyc's 8.

Last edited:

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Really though, how many people does that 100k+ applications represent?

Good question. But I took a group of 7 friends/coworkers shooting earlier this year (newbies, though some owned inherited long guns) and explained the law. 2 went out and bought guns. One of those got hooked and has gotten three of his friends to buy. My discussions of SB281 has gotten another friend and his wife to buy guns. I sold a gun to a first time MD buyer. So by my count I've been responsible for at least 7 new owners this year that would not have bought if it weren't for SB281.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom