Maryland firearms instructors being screwed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FatMuscle

Aug 9, 2010
    La Plata
    After talking with Mark at the NRA instructor HQ, he suggested we do the FIRST Steps course (issue a certificate) and do an overview of MD law as it is written. Expressing that the information disseminated is NOT legal advice and to contact an attorney for more information. The problem there is the instructor to student ratio. NRA is 4 to one, with the state, there is no student to instructor ratio.

I also feel that, for the time being, this is the best course of action. Develop a disclaimer (that the student signs) stating that the instructor can NOT give legal advice. MSP has stated that the MD law section should be an "overview".

I also support a group/association of Maryland Certified Handgun/Firearms Instructors to streamline/standardize curriculum.

On_Target

Feb 7, 2013
    I might humbly suggest price fixing of the course fees. Training curriculum and intellectual property can be expensive. The logistics, advertizing, additional support staff, properly qualified rso's, supplies, safety equipment, approved firearms, approved and appropriate ammunition, transportation, range and disposal fees, bonding and or insurance for all persons including students, attorneys fees, administrative expenses for the onerous and perpetual recordkeeping and finaly secure storage for all of the above isn't gonna be covered by free or low cost. At least that's my argument. I want to make two points here. Having a unified front on real pricing that allows for the recovering of all of the above for these classes may help present a better case that this burden is cost prohibitive. I think a real cost plus time formula is defensible and would make a stronger case for the real burden imposed on the public. I don't beleive that a volunteer or a free or incentivised course will do anything but demonstrate what has been said here before. Don' t take the pain away and put a real cost figure on implementation and I think we will have real numbers to fight with. I think that teaching this course requires actual resources that can be measured by material expenses, costs and time that can be measured and quantified. I would suggest that we all atleast agree on this inititive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom