• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Punch84

Mar 29, 2009
    Carroll County
    All Maryland Park Rangers were merged with DNR about 6-7 years ago. Maryland no longer has a Park Ranger LEO. All Rangers at that time had to go back thru the DNR training on the eastern shore and are state employees. HR218 covers them even when retired as long as they qualify each year.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    All Maryland Park Rangers were merged with DNR about 6-7 years ago. Maryland no longer has a Park Ranger LEO. All Rangers at that time had to go back thru the DNR training on the eastern shore and are state employees. HR218 covers them even when retired as long as they qualify each year.

True, but don't confuse Park Rangers with National Capital Park Police.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    There does seem to be a lot of departments out here, but then again there are a lot of things going on out here.

On a side note, I toured the Montgomery County police academy on Thursday and it was great. It was almost like being back in bootcamp. Guys running around, wrestling/boxing, working out. Plain awesomeness. However, I don't think I have much of a chance getting in with them as 70% of their force have their bachelors. :banghead:

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    :thumbsup:Point taken.
    Just to my knowledge (which is limited) DNR is the only other agency,besides MSP,that has statewide jurisdiction.Now with homeland security,that has probably/most likely changed to include other agencies.I was just generalizing(sp) for the original question.:D

MDTA Police also have statewide jurisdiction.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    There does seem to be a lot of departments out here, but then again there are a lot of things going on out here.

On a side note, I toured the Montgomery County police academy on Thursday and it was great. It was almost like being back in bootcamp. Guys running around, wrestling/boxing, working out. Plain awesomeness. However, I don't think I have much of a chance getting in with them as 70% of their force have their bachelors. :banghead:

don't be intimidated by the flashy sheep skin on the wall. The BS/BA is just a minimum requirement...it doesn't make them a better police officer IMO. This job takes people skills and tact...which some of these new kids these days have none after spending hours behind a Playstation or Saiga.

Work on your interview skills and speaking skills!! Communication skills go along way in this job:party29:

c-03003

Sep 6, 2011
    Fort Washington, MD
    I've heard from a MD Natural Resources Police officer that he once did a traffic stop on someone speeding along Rt. 50. Is this possible or was he just BS'ing me?

Also, the Park Police you see in PG County has jurisdiction on park land in the county, but also has some jurisdiction on roads that are adjacent to park property.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    c-03003 said:
    I've heard from a MD Natural Resources Police officer that he once did a traffic stop on someone speeding along Rt. 50. Is this possible or was he just BS'ing me?

Also, the Park Police you see in PG County has jurisdiction on park land in the county, but also has some jurisdiction on roads that are adjacent to park property.

Yes dnr police and park police can stop speeders. Seen it multiple times.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun

DNRPD has statewide jurisdiction and can enforce traffic as well.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Univ of Md PD likewise concurent jurisdiction statewide. Metro Transit PD all of DC, Md, Va.

Md Transportation Authority was prev "Md Toll Facilities PD" . With the reorganization they also took over BWI which had prev been handled by MSP Airport Div .

DNR stepped up to full police powers from specified offenses in 1970s.

Must have been near their final days when I was pulled over by "Maryland Ranger" for traffic stop. Thought it was cool he had a P/u truck w/ lights and siren. In those days they had Stainless M92s , and cool Star in Circle badges ( aka Texas Ranger style).

US Park Police has nationwide jurisdiction. The majority are in DC region , and smaller perminit locations in NYC and SF. Additionally they can be asigned for specific investigation/ situation anywhere.

AC MkIII

Feb 18, 2011
    Calvert

I hear fed. LE are always looking. Check out USAjobs.gov

Be sure it is LE and not just security

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    don't be intimidated by the flashy sheep skin on the wall. The BS/BA is just a minimum requirement...it doesn't make them a better police officer IMO. This job takes people skills and tact...which some of these new kids these days have none after spending hours behind a Playstation or Saiga.

Work on your interview skills and speaking skills!! Communication skills go along way in this job:party29:

Thanks!! I hear what you're saying also. We had a few "field trips" where we went to the district court, jail in Bowie and then the academy. Our prof told everyone to dress up and make sure they're presentable. I would say over half of my fellow classmates showed up in short sleeved shirts, sneakers and basketball shorts. I understand not everybody can afford to buy formal clothing, but I know you got at least a pair of slacks, pants or a collard shirt somewhere in your closet. Point being, I think a lot of these guys are expecting "hand-out" employment.

To keep this relative to the thread, i know DNR goes through the state police academy and then goes on to different training after they graduate that. I wasn't sure about Park Poice.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    It's going good! I'm not expecting any miracles right away so I just want to get in there, do some interviews, test and get a good experience of the process. Lots of competition out there though. My CJ courses are packed full of people chomping at the bit.

I remember this process well. Feels like forever before you get your shot.

Glad that I dont have to do that again!!!

Flex

Aug 4, 2009

There are still a few ranger LEOs floating around -- mostly management.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010

no bs'ing there.

the best ones are when people speed and do dumb shit right outside a military installation then give the mps a rash of shit. I saw one guy who poked an mp in the chest saying "you dont have authority im not on post" this guy then got his ass beat up and down 175 with a good old fashioned club.. Best lunch break at popeyes ever...

Plinkey

Jan 25, 2011
    Baltimore City
    To keep this relative to the thread, i know DNR goes through the state police academy and then goes on to different training after they graduate that. I wasn't sure about Park Poice.

My roommate is about to graduate from the NRP Academy and from what he says they are pretty much separated from the other LEO groups at the Academy. I think his class started with 10 and is now down to 8 whereas the MSP started with around 80-90. From talking to him they both do some pretty different things during much of their time at the academy.

edit: And more to the point of the thread the NRP are able and encouraged to carry while off-duty.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    My roommate is about to graduate from the NRP Academy and from what he says they are pretty much separated from the other LEO groups at the Academy. I think his class started with 10 and is now down to 8 whereas the MSP started with around 80-90. From talking to him they both do some pretty different things during much of their time at the academy.

Oh, ok!! Very cool. Thanks for sharing that with me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom