• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    This is just a quick question I've had for some time. I believe I'm correct when I say that Maryland LEO's are allowed to carry off-duty, but does this go for DNR as well? How about Park Police? Thanks!

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I would assume the answer is yes in both cases. They should be covered under HR218.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Correct me if Im wrong and I probably am . But arent DNR and Park Police federal and have more powers then local PD ?

DNR are State, Park Police could be one of three Agencies. US Park Police are HQ'd IN Anacostia and patrol the BW and GW Parkways plus stuff in DC. Montgomery and PG both have National Capital Park Police, those are not Feds.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Without splitting hairs,DNR are state police with extra powers.:innocent0

I think you'd have to split those hairs, kind of like figuring out where Transportation Authority guys fit in.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    I have no idea about Park Police, but DNR are state. However, I've heard stories about DNR confiscating firearms, vehicles and just utterly destroying the lives (and rightfully so, in my opinion) of people found to be poaching. But they could just be myths.

I'm actually in the middle of sending out my resume for LEO positions so I just got curious.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    DNR are State, Park Police could be one of three Agencies. US Park Police are HQ'd IN Anacostia and patrol the BW and GW Parkways plus stuff in DC. Montgomery and PG both have National Capital Park Police, those are not Feds.

Ok no one take this the wrong way we have too many different PDs . I mean were do you guys draw the lines before yall start stepping on each others toes ?

My father is retired Balto. co. I dont remember hearing of any jurisdiction issues though.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I'm actually in the middle of sending out my resume for LEO positions so I just got curious.

Just as a head's up, if the Dept isn't currently recruiting, sending a resume is probably a waste of time. Everyone has a recruiting cycle, you just have to apply when they're in it and follow the process. You just missed DNR.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Ok no one take this the wrong way we have too many different PDs . I mean were do you guys draw the lines before yall start stepping on each others toes ?

There's a lot of overlapping jurisdictions but a big part of that is the heavy Federal presence in our area. In areas where there's not much Federal land it's more common to have just a Sheriff or have a PD and the Sheriff's office handles the jail, court and civil papers.

I think you'd have to split those hairs, kind of like figuring out where Transportation Authority guys fit in.

:thumbsup:Point taken.
    Just to my knowledge (which is limited) DNR is the only other agency,besides MSP,that has statewide jurisdiction.Now with homeland security,that has probably/most likely changed to include other agencies.I was just generalizing(sp) for the original question.:D

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    There's a lot of overlapping jurisdictions but a big part of that is the heavy Federal presence in our area. In areas where there's not much Federal land it's more common to have just a Sheriff or have a PD and the Sheriff's office handles the jail, court and civil papers.

Ok got it , sorry about the thread jack lol

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    Just as a head's up, if the Dept isn't currently recruiting, sending a resume is probably a waste of time. Everyone has a recruiting cycle, you just have to apply when they're in it and follow the process. You just missed DNR.

I didn't miss anything. I submitted that one a few weeks ago. Currently sending out resumes mainly for VA departments, Prince William and some animal protection departments. Thank you nonetheless.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    :thumbsup:Point taken.
    Just to my knowledge (which is limited) DNR is the only other agency,besides MSP,that has statewide jurisdiction.Now with homeland security,that has probably/most likely changed to include other agencies.I was just generalizing(sp) for the original question.:D

:D Good explanation, better than I could have summed it up.

Ok got it , sorry about the thread jack lol

:D

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I didn't miss anything. I submitted that one a few weeks ago. Currently sending out resumes mainly for VA departments, Prince William and some animal protection departments. Thank you nonetheless.

Oh excellent, how's the process going for you?

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    It's going good! I'm not expecting any miracles right away so I just want to get in there, do some interviews, test and get a good experience of the process. Lots of competition out there though. My CJ courses are packed full of people chomping at the bit.

sandbanger

how's it going eisenhower
    Dec 14, 2010
    park police? as in US Park Police? If so, they can carry anywhere in the nation, they are 1811's federal LEO. DNR is allowed to carry anywhere in the state as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom