• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Ah, okay, I see. So CCWing with a valid permit is still legal and still possible to being checked, but will draw less attention by PPD.

CCW has never been illegal in Philly, neither has OC with a permit, but generally its not worth the hassle to OC.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Back to the topic of County based approvals. Way too many things can go wrong, from usurpation of/by local power to entirely screwing it up nationally.

The end goal is 50 state CCW with 50 state reciprocity. Correct?

Do we think this idea in Maryland is also OK in the other states?
    Can you imagine a liberal city in an otherwise Shall Issue state dragging their feet? Sending back your form because you didn't cross a "T" or dot an "i"?
    Being able to CC in Neveda, except in Reno and Las Vegas?

Imagine leaving it to the County or township level, everywhere? It conjours up nightmares of Sheriff Andy Taylor allowing CCW in his county, but Boss Hogg nixing it in the adjacent county. New York state establishes Shall Issue (dreaming) but Bloomberg puts the fix in NYC, a la a Chicago defacto ban?

Together we win, divided we fail. There are many Pro-2A-ers in PG, HoCo, MoCo, B-more, Annapolis, etc. that would suffer greatly if the preemption law were tampered with. You would erode your support base at both ends... Those in "pro" counties would get their cake, and those in "anti" counties wouldn't be as motivated when another county was going down the tubes.

Keep our eyes on the ball, the BIG Ball. National CCW with 50 State reciprocity.
    We won't get there, if we settle for a bit of cake, instead of waiting for the main course.

Let's not get impatient, it's almost here, closer than most of us are willing to admit, but its coming, soon.

mica

Wallowing in Insanity
    Jun 22, 2010
    AA county
    If they want to issue permits in accordance with MD law and guidelines I don't see that affecting preemption. State permit issued locally, happens in many states that way.Depends on how any prospective legislation is worded.

But I don't really see it happening anyway.

KMA

Jan 17, 2010
    harford county
    The answer is national permit, forget the states. But that will never happen. Man i've really got to get out of this nightmare.

Lindsay's Dad

Oct 21, 2008
    Monrovia
    I personally don't want to see State pre-emption changed. I personally don't see how merely changing who signs off on the permits changes state pre-emption.

The requirements would remain the same. Yes, even "must show cause" the only thing that would change is who interprets what is good cause or not.

Yes Frederick and Washington county folks would stand a better chance of getting permits than folks in PG and Mont. Counties. But my permit would still be a MD permit and that wouldn't change. I can't see how locals would be able to create less or more hoops.

Am I really missing something here but to me I see this as a good thing.

Please no flames.

LD

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    I personally don't want to see State pre-emption changed. I personally don't see how merely changing who signs off on the permits changes state pre-emption.

The requirements would remain the same. Yes, even "must show cause" the only thing that would change is who interprets what is good cause or not.

Yes Frederick and Washington county folks would stand a better chance of getting permits than folks in PG and Mont. Counties. But my permit would still be a MD permit and that wouldn't change. I can't see how locals would be able to create less or more hoops.

Am I really missing something here but to me I see this as a good thing.

Please no flames.

LD
    Hate to say this but as a MoCo resident, I can only imagine what they will make up just to deny people. However, if they allow a MoCo resident to go into any other sherrifs office to get a permit and the money stays in that county the -might- see the light but I doubt it.

Lindsay's Dad

Oct 21, 2008
    Monrovia
    That's just it Mont. County won't be able to create more hurdles nor would let's say Frederick County be able to remove any. The only thing that would be different is who is saying "personal defense, ok by me. "APPROVED: NO RESTRICTIONS." or "Personal defense, not good enough. "DENIED"

LD

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    That's just it Mont. County won't be able to create more hurdles nor would let's say Frederick County be able to remove any. The only thing that would be different is who is saying "personal defense, ok by me. "APPROVED: NO RESTRICTIONS." or "Personal defense, not good enough. "DENIED"

and therein lies the crux of the problem. Until we have a true shall issue state where it's either "yes" or "no" based on passing the criminal background check and not some subjective perception of what constitutes a "reason" for issuance of the permit, you'd have a de facto duplicity in the application of the law from county to county and it would necessitate weakening of the pre-emption law to accomplish that.

MoCo could make it far more difficult to receive a permit than would Washington County simply based on the current language that requires justification for issuance of a permit. That is not equal protection under the law.

Lindsay's Dad

Oct 21, 2008
    Monrovia
    But, isn't that the way it is now? I don't understand how spreading the load around would neccesitate weaking of the laws. I must be missing something.

LD

jaywade

Ultimate Member
    Nov 2, 2009
    Leesburg, VA
    and therein lies the crux of the problem. Until we have a true shall issue state where it's either "yes" or "no" based on passing the criminal background check and not some subjective perception of what constitutes a "reason" for issuance of the permit, you'd have a de facto duplicity in the application of the law from county to county and it would necessitate weakening of the pre-emption law to accomplish that.

MoCo could make it far more difficult to receive a permit than would Washington County simply based on the current language that requires justification for issuance of a permit. That is not equal protection under the law.

Norton "equal protection" is a interesting thing ...washington co might get 2 or 3 times the number of people wanting a permit for ccw...maybe more how many people would even apply in MoCo a fraction of the Washington co to be sure .... as a whole Moco baltimore co and PG co don't want this...it isn't important...but if washington co or frederick co can get this it's a step in the right direction, it still sucks for MoCo and Pg folks that also want to carry but if you had lawfull carry in a few MD counties and all went well you could gain a foothold in the other counties, but right now you (and I mean MSI) have no hold in MoCO or PG ...your almost invisible, they might even think your nuts...fight the battle that gives you a chance to win,if you can get carry in washington Co you gain a foothold you can point to lower crime rates you can point lawfull carry as not being dangerous, now you have better talking points....casue now you have nothing, you don't hav enumbers on your side in those districts to be able to make a difference...

again I see Washington co getting the right to carry as good thing, I undertsand it doesn't jive w/ your agenda of getting state wide Shall issue but you might have to do this in pieces and parts... this is one of the most Dem heavy states and honestly I don't see how the state as a whole is any closer and untill you can get MoCo PG and Baltimore CO folks to agree in mass with you I don't see how you expect the state house to change the laws

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Allowing one county a different set of rules violates preemption and opens up a whole can of worms that we do not want. There are points either way but we do not want to take 2 steps back for one sideways.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    But, isn't that the way it is now? I don't understand how spreading the load around would neccesitate weaking of the laws. I must be missing something.

LD

Because, if it is subjective criteria that we are dealing with, we can have one official in one county using one set of criteria and another in a different county using yet another.

Lindsay's Dad

Oct 21, 2008
    Monrovia
    Because, if it is subjective criteria that we are dealing with, we can have one official in one county using one set of criteria and another in a different county using yet another.

Ok, I conceed that point. But the written law will still be the same Statewide?

Yes an Objective standard would be ideal, but just cause we can't have the whole Pizza why shouldn't we grab a slice or two where we can?

LD

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The "Rules" won't be different as far as I can see it, just the signatures on the permits.

omo
    LD

Of course there'd be different standards....it's the whole reason they're proposing the bill in the first place.

The candidates in Washington County are proposing legislation (that they know will never pass) in an effort to lead voters to believe that they will issue permits to them while residents in other counties will be stuck dealing with officials who will not issue permits.

Hopalong

Man of Many Nicknames
    Jun 28, 2010
    Howard County
    As a Washington County resident who is in favor of generally unrestricted carry, I think this is a horrible idea. I haven't done enough of my homework to know if it's an intentionally bad idea to attack state pre-emption, or just a misguded good idea to get WashCo residents more of their 2A freedoms back, but that doesn't really matter. It's the wrong way to go about it.

And for those who voiced concerns about WashCo residents thinking you're ungrateful for thinking this is a bad idea: I appreciate the concern, but in my book at least there's nothing to worry about. Please keep right on telling us it's a bad idea.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    The only way this would work is if any resident from a 2A hostile county could go to a
    2A friendly county and get a permit that works statewide. Giving the other counties money that the cash strapped non-2A friendly counties can use.

They do not care about 2A. They do not care about crime. The do not care about personal liberties. They only care about money. The counties that are not 2A friendly are the ones that also need more of gov paycheck. Hence speed cameras, red light cams etc. Higher crime works for them because they can use it as an excuse to levy a tax for "more police" which we all know they wont hire one more cop. They'll get an assistant to the official paper recycler and use the rest to shore up the bleeding aid fund.

And... that wont happen so we need to take it up to the MSP because we will have the "blood on the streets" fictional argument.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    As a Washington County resident who is in favor of generally unrestricted carry, I think this is a horrible idea. I haven't done enough of my homework to know if it's an intentionally bad idea to attack state pre-emption, or just a misguded good idea to get WashCo residents more of their 2A freedoms back, but that doesn't really matter. It's the wrong way to go about it.

It's not an "attack" and I don't think any believes that there is malevolence involved. I think your second theory is accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom