• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    An example of the sort of bill that you can expect to see passed into law should the pre-emption shield be cracked:

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007RS/billfile/hb0617.htm

Synopsis:

Authorizing Montgomery County to enact specified ordinances regulating the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of specified firearms; authorizing Montgomery County to enact specified ordinances regulating the sale of a regulated firearm; authorizing Montgomery County to enact specified ordinances regulating the possession by a private party of a regulated firearm; etc.

You can insert Howard County, Baltimore County, Baltimore City and Prince George's County in there just for starters with more to come as the suburban sprawl creeps even more into Frederick, Carroll and Harford Counties.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The loss of our strong pre-emption laws would eliminate this language in current Maryland law:

(a) State preemption.- Except as otherwise provided in this section, the State preempts the right of a county, municipal corporation, or special taxing district to regulate the purchase, sale, taxation, transfer, manufacture, repair, ownership, possession, and transportation of:

(1) a handgun, rifle, or shotgun; and

(2) ammunition for and components of a handgun, rifle, or shotgun.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    An example of the sort of bill that you can expect to see passed into law should the pre-emption shield be cracked:

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007RS/billfile/hb0617.htm

You can insert Howard County, Baltimore County, Baltimore City and Prince George's County in there just for starters with more to come as the suburban sprawl creeps even more into Frederick, Carroll and Harford Counties.

Ha that started 20 years ago thats why my parents and I moved out

i.c.spots

Jul 27, 2010
    Finksburg
    Half a loaf is better than none. At least, I'd be able to carry concealed in the county where I live and spend the bulk of my time. Frederick County is also considering it. If one county passes the law, perhaps that would persuade the others to follow suit. It's a good starter for sure.

This is a bad idea. This is bait to create a deception. If the outlying counties take this, the people in their counties may stop supporting MSI and CCW statewide. They are attempting to divide their opponents troops.

All of us need to support the statewide CCW.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Ha that started 20 years ago thats why my parents and I moved out

However, Frederick County has thus far remained pretty stable politically. That will not continue forever as the population changes.

Eudaimonia

Sep 1, 2009
    This would be disastrous. Take away state preemption and I might was invite the City's finest over for tea and a side of disarmament.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    However, Frederick County has thus far remained pretty stable politically. That will not continue forever as the population changes.

I won't argue that. Washington Co started to become over ran especially the southern end (Boonsboro, Sharpsburg, Keedysville) :sad20:, one good thing about the housing bubble busting it put a stop (well slow) to that.

Rattlesnake46319

Curmidget
    Apr 1, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Also, look at the confusion and awkwardness in PA/Philly. PA allows carrying, but Philly restricts it. Dumb in my opinion. I pay state taxes and should be able to carry in the whole state, not portins of it. Also, just because you cross a county line, doesn't mean the threat will stop like a dog with a collar and underground fence.

Philly tried to restrict it. Got withdrawn when they were reminded that state law pre-empted local law.

Apparently you haven't ever been in Hagerstown.

Grew up in Gary, Indiana. Hagerstown's lightweight. ;)

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    This bill is great for people in Washington County.

It sucks for everyone else.

Once people in Washington county get CCW, they will say "ehh, f those city folk" and we will not only loose our pre-emption laws, we will loose our unity.

Normally I would argue any CCW is good CCW, but the risk of loosing state preemption is too risky.

I can see it now, half of Maryland would have Chicagoesque gun laws, and half of Maryland would have Arizonaesque gun laws.

tckbite

Sep 28, 2009
    EDIT: Why did it take you a year for your 1st post? Talk about serious lurking....

Much better at reading then writing!?!?!? :shrug:

Seroiusly though, i pop in the door every once in awhile to see whats going on here in the Forum, just on to many others to keep up with all of them as a regular! When i read this on MyACTV's homepage i just had to come here to see what others thought about it,(first place i look for anything concering Merryland!), and when i didn't see anything about it thought i'd post it up.

And i agree with most others sayin this isn't a good idea. It might be good for some of us in the western part of the state at this time, but i believe what we really need is a state wide permit carry law, if for no other reason then to just make things simple. We'll get there at some point in time, just need to keep pressure on the elected till they give in and do whats right by the voters. Its coming!!!

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    For those who live in western md, encourage your county governments to issue statements of support, or consider issueing friend of the court briefs for the Woollard case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I won't argue that. Washington Co started to become over ran especially the southern end (Boonsboro, Sharpsburg, Keedysville) :sad20:, one good thing about the housing bubble busting it put a stop (well slow) to that.

You and I think alike :D

I see the end of the housing rush as almost a land conservation plan since far fewer housing developments are being built on raw land.

rrrrrrkevin

Its comin right for me!
    Jul 18, 2008
    North Beach
    And i agree with most others sayin this isn't a good idea. It might be good for some of us in the western part of the state at this time, but i believe what we really need is a state wide permit carry law, if for no other reason then to just make things simple. We'll get there at some point in time, just need to keep pressure on the elected till they give in and do whats right by the voters. Its coming!!!

Another benefit is that other states might honor it that might not have otherwise, how many other states honor MD permits right now? and if we became shall issue how would this possibly change?

nightglider

May 2, 2010
    I'm not sure why many of you are so against this. This is what PA does. PA county sheriffs (and PPD) are the ones that issue permits. The state, however, regulates the fee, processing time, and even the application (to the point that is must be, "Uniform throughout the Commonwealth" and only one page). County issue doesn't mean the end of preemption.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    The whole argument is moot. I appreciate what the County Commissioners and the Sheriff are doing - they are listening to their constituents and looking for a way to satisfy their demands. Good on them.

But the logic used in their quotes is patterned on a former reality where 2A is not a civil right and where legislators get to decide what is and is not available to you. Someone needs to sit down and talk to them about Heller and McDonald and Woollard.

The best thing they could do now would be to join in with Frederick and maybe a few other counties, spend a little money on a damn good lawyer to write up their arguments, and file an Amicus Brief in Woollard. It will help the District Court to see varying opinions within MD's legislative and law enforcement community. Because right now all they are going to see is the AG's opinion. Guess who that represents?

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    I don't know much about local government in other counties in Maryland, but, here in Charles County, the county sheriff department is regulated by the Charles County Commissioners. The CCC's is already so openly anti-gun they have made arguments over BB guns / air rifles requiring documents to purchase. Clubs and organizations can not even be approved for holding a turkey shoot in this county.

I don't even want to imagine what would happen if the Charles County Sheriff's Office was responsible for handgun permits. If I understand the OP correctly, this would become a completely anti-handgun county if the CCSO or the CCC had reign over the permit process. If I am misunderstanding this OP letter in some way, please please please let me know.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I'm not sure why many of you are so against this. This is what PA does. PA county sheriffs (and PPD) are the ones that issue permits. The state, however, regulates the fee, processing time, and even the application (to the point that is must be, "Uniform throughout the Commonwealth" and only one page). County issue doesn't mean the end of preemption.

This

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom