• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montyw2

Feb 11, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Similar situation. Being in education, none of my supervisors etc would be supportive. Does MSP really check the references? Also, for character references the application says "not related in any way". I presume Bro in laws are out then? What a bunch of crap.
    Yes, they absolutely call the references.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    No offense but if someone is a longtime gun owner and shoots regularly there is nothing that you are going to present short of Massad Ayoob himself that is going to pique my interest for 16 hours. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt.

I don't know you and maybe you cater to the brand new shooter that will actually learn something from "this is the grip, this is the slide, this is the barrel" etc... but for anyone with a working knowledge of handguns and has been shooting for years you are not breaking new ground with the MD 16 hour training.

Do you know the legal process and what happens to you after you've fired your pistol? Do you know what are some actions you can engage in prior to pulling the trigger that can work in your favor given you will be arrested if you have to fire? How are you with situational awareness, with or without carrying? What's the best way to carry a spare magazine and reload while staying engaged? Depending on the instructor there's a lot more than how to load and fire at a paper target at a range. For what it's worth I wouldn't want you as a student.

montyw2

Feb 11, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Coool you guys took a class, the point is in 25 states you don’t even need a permit, and the other 17 that you need a permit don’t have any training at all. FLORIDA requires you not to be a felon and to take a 3 hour “class” where you listen to a guy talk about carrying, than fingerprints and wait for permit in mail.

What if someone who has been carrying for 5-15 years in a free state has to move to Maryland? They need to take a 16 hour class?

Same with live fire: copied from ARFcom

None of the states have live fire tests that's remotely challenging for anyone who's shot more than a few hundred rounds in their lifetime.

The live fire tests only weed out those:

1. Who didn't pay attention in class
    2. Arn't paying attention at the range
    3. Have an undisciplined or haughty attitude about their abilities
    4. Arn't detail oriented
    5. Have muscle and dexterity issues so severe they shouldn't be carrying anyways
    It’s really not a shooting course, the qualifier is pretty easy if you have good fundamentals.

My course (USCCA CCHDF) goes over:
    Legal use of force vs legal use of deadly force Including scenarios.
    How the body responds to threats, what to expect and how to train for it.
    What to expect and what to do after you’ve brandished/pointed your gun or fired your gun at someone. What to expect the police to do, how to interact with your lawyer, do you HAVE a lawyer? How may friends, family and coworkers view you?
    What do you say to the person attacking you or your loved ones?
    Gear set up and discussion; lights, holsters, Med kit etc.
    Shooting drills and skill development.

It’s not a boring class if you take the right class.

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Submitted, will see what they do.

00E3DA08-3223-4218-9FFC-605DA68CB3BC.jpeg

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    My application was officially submitted.
    (I took the W&C class a few weeks ago in anticipation and got fingerprinted after work today)
    How does that work? Live scan sends prints to you or to MSP? I'm a Va resident with ccw but turned in the HQL when I moved to Va. I still need to send in 2 prints for another HQL from MD ?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Just renewed my MSI membership (realized it lapsed a few months ago whoops) and signed up for the CCW class at FreeState. I have a side business and probably could have used that as a reason for a MDWAC but now with the NYSRPA ruling the MSP can mind their own beeswax and I don’t have to disclose my business dealings with yet another set of govt flunkies. Can’t wait to get this process underway. Freedom feels good.
    If you become a lifetime member, you don't ever have to remember to renew again.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Do you know the legal process and what happens to you after you've fired your pistol? Do you know what are some actions you can engage in prior to pulling the trigger that can work in your favor given you will be arrested if you have to fire? How are you with situational awareness, with or without carrying? What's the best way to carry a spare magazine and reload while staying engaged? Depending on the instructor there's a lot more than how to load and fire at a paper target at a range. For what it's worth I wouldn't want you as a student.
    I'm so relieved.

You have no idea who I am, my background or my carry experience and yet you post something as ignorant as that based on one post. Well done, you couldn't look more like the southern end of a northbound horse.

Revolver6

Sep 29, 2019
    Wait.... I'm confused, we can apply for CCW without having the previous BS requirements/eligibility that made 99% Marylanders ineligible? I mean does it go in effect right away in Maryland even though it was for NY?
    I want to apply but spending $400(the place closest to me) is a bit of a money without having confirmation if people are getting granted?

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    I'm so relieved.

You have no idea who I am, my background or my carry experience and yet you post something as ignorant as that based on one post. Well done, you couldn't look more like the southern end of a northbound horse.
    You must be one of those Wild West... Rootin' tootin' cowboys... Holy Jebus... :innocent0

:D

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    I'm so relieved.

Like I said, wouldn't want you as a student. Arrogant know-it-alls are the worst.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom