• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    His response seems to indicate that he's drunk on the ceasfire cool-aide.

While it does not indicate type of weapon used it does indicate the frequency with which police are being killed with firearms......not exactly frequently in Md according to the FBI...

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/killed/2004/table1.htm

1995 2
    1996 0
    1997 1
    1998 0
    1999 0
    2000 3
    2001 3
    2002 3
    2003 0
    2004 1

Total from 1995-2004 13
    The last time a police officer in MD that was shot with a rifle that caused his death was 1977. There have been no rifle shootings that resulted in a murder of a Maryland police officer since. Since the rifle used wasn't even one that would have been in the federal AW ban, or is even listed on the MD AW list (it was an M1 carbine), the number of MD police officers murdered by someone using a so called AW may never have happened. If the M1 was included in the ever changing definition of AWs, then it has been thrity years since a police officer was shot and killed by what they might call an AW.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    if the proceedings can take upwards of 10 hours, will we get breaks in there to feed and relieve ourselves? if i go i dont wanna miss something important by leaving the room for even a minute!

gonna ask the boss for the day off that tuesday.

what's the parking situation like in annapolis? i haven't been there in 5 years.

i look forward to meeting some of you guys, and i hope our cause is won. in the mean time i will continue to buy the guns i've always wanted that may be banned :)

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Butcher,

It's best to team up with someone who can watch your seat and let you slip out to take care of business. I always bring a big stash of food for my book bag and sneak out in the hall to grab a snack. As I recall they also have a little canteen not too far off where you can grab so vending-type stuff.

Parking can be good or lousy. The standard deal is to park at the stadium and catch the bus over. About a 5 minute ride.

I park at the Academy because I have DOD tags.

You might get lucky and get into one of the garages. Parking in these is fairly cheap when compared to DC or Baltimore and they are pretty close by.

Cliff

Jul 2, 2005
    Northern Virginia
    Butcher,
    What Norton said about parking at the stadium is right on. I've parked there the past few years when I've gone to the hearings with no problem. The shuttle bus to the legislative buildings leave the stadium grounds every 5 to 10 minutes. Just tell the driver what building your looking for and he/she will let you know when to get off.
    I usually bring a couple of sandwiches,water,soda in a small lunch container. Again no problem getting it in through security. Prepare to stay all day. Into the evening if possible.The hearings start at 1PM but it very well could be as late as 5 or 6PM before the bill we showed up for comes up on the hopper. Dress accordingly. Business attire. No BDU's, no tshirts advertising Sig,H&K,etc. Leave your folding knives in the car. No knives of anykind in the buildings at all. You may look pissed off,but don't act too pissed off. Plainclothes Maryland state police troopers will be there to keep things calm. They will be there in uniform also.
    Did I say prepare to stay all day? We always have a good showing of gunnies early in the day,just before the hearings start,but by late afternoon usually it's just a large handfull of us left. WE NEED THE SUPPORT IN THE LATE AFTERNOON AS WELL AS DURING THE EARLY HOURS. I remember the first AWB hearing we attended a few years back. WE packed the hearing room with over 150 pissed off, loud,angry Maryland gunnies that day. White,black,latino,asian,and indian. But by that late afternoon we barely had 30 to 40 gunnies left. Only you know your schedule. Kids to pick up,wife to get home to,things to do. It's understandable. Something to think about. Hope this helps.

Butcher

May 3, 2005
    Owings Mills
    nope, no obligations like that (too young). if i go to the hearings, i stay through.

i'll be naked without my knife :(

So will we be just passively watching? who gets to actively participate, and how do they go about doing that?

Oh, P.S.: we're talkin about the building in the circle right? it's been a long time since i went on that school field trip to learn about Maryland government, so i've forgotten where exactly the hearings will be held.

PPS: do we get to shun people who support our cause but dress and act inappropriately? :)

Skeptic

Dec 19, 2005
    Middle East
    Took the day off

to be able to fight the good fight. I will be there the entire time. Missed out last year but I fully intend to be there until the proceedings end for the day. Been out of the country for a while, and now back for some time (hopefully).

Now I just got to find out where to go. I have been to Annapolis twice and neither time has been to the state bldg (?).

Anyone (read Norton or another knowledgable source) have any words of wisdom or quick lessons learned from previous visits to the belly of the beast?

do you sign up to speak to the committee?

do you have to present them with the speach you intend to give? Not that I am any great orator (or speller), but if need be I can string a few words together and sometimes they even make sense.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    to be able to fight the good fight. I will be there the entire time. Missed out last year but I fully intend to be there until the proceedings end for the day. Been out of the country for a while, and now back for some time (hopefully).

Now I just got to find out where to go. I have been to Annapolis twice and neither time has been to the state bldg (?).

Anyone (read Norton or another knowledgable source) have any words of wisdom or quick lessons learned from previous visits to the belly of the beast?

do you have to present them with the speach you intend to give? Not that I am any great orator (or speller), but if need be I can string a few words together and sometimes they even make sense.

Its in all of our best interests to submit your testimony at the sign up desk at least 30 mins before they pull the sheet (12:45). They will distribute your testimony whether you choose to speak or not to the Judicial Members for them to refer back to at a later date when trying to make fiinal decisions on the issue.

Having a pile of Pro 2A written testimonies sends a big message to any Senator.

There is another post on the site I think labeled Gun Bill Day or something similar that includes tips, link to directions etc. Check the Md Issues section

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

You can speak if you wish. The day goes sort of like this....

We sit and wait all day, yet the Ceasefire crowd seems to miraculously know when the important bills are coming up.

The antis fire their opening salvos. I guess they get to go first since there's somthing like three of them.:lol2:

We go next. The "big boys", the heads of the major organizations like AGC, MSI, MCRKBA, etc go first so the committee is relatively fresh.

The they start the cattle calls.....5-6 people at a time.

I run my mouth for a living, so speaking in front of a crowd is no problem. Some people suffer from dysentery of the mouth.....they keep going on an on without saying anything.

If you're going to speak....be concise, stick to a few focused points. Someone else will hit all of the other stuff that you didn't get to say....trust me.

TheTruth

Sep 19, 2006
    Scary Thought....

Ok, assume the Brady's and the Ceasefire groups ARE successful in passing an AWB (God help us all if they do.)

Have you all ever thought what is next on the agenda? I doubt these idiots will just fold up shop and say "we won." If the bill passes into law as is, these semi automatic rifles and most semi automatic pistols capable of accepting threaded barrels will be banned for sale.

What is left (not including crossbows, bows, air guns, etc.):

1) Bolt action rifles, including .22's. (What they call hunting rifles)
    2) Revolvers
    3) Shotguns (except those already banned)
    4) Any remaining pistol caliber carbines
    5) Semi automatic rifles not already banned
    6) Making us surrender what was "grandfathered" and "registered"

What do you think could be next? I have a feeling #6, and this doesn't make me happy.

The point of this is to NOT hijack this this thread. It is to think about what might happen if these morons are successful in getting this law out of committee by pulling a Gianetti on Brochin. These are very real possibilities and we should ALL BE ON OUR TOES to fight this bill tooth and nail.

Just think of what might become in the future with a one party, radical liberal democratic party in charge who is in the pocket of the anti-gun special interest. With no checks and balances, these people will ruin our hobby, sport and heritage. I refuse to let that happen.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I received my "non-response" back from the AG's office yesterday. The sponsors of the bill to whom the flurry of Public Information Act requests were aimed at, folded and had the AG's office take care of the mean ol' gun owners who were picking on them.

I received a cover letter that said basically that since my request was so much like that of Associated Gun Clubs that the AG was just going to attach a copy of their office's response to John Josselyn.

Essentially the letter said: :tongue01:

With regards to Items 6 and 7 of your request, each of the Senators has reviewd his or her files. In most cases, Senators did not have any records that are responsive to your request. Further, the OPIA, State Government Article provides that a custodian shall deny public inspection of a public record if the public record is privileged or confidential by law. Under the Maryland Constitution, members of the General Assembly are entitled to an absolute constitutional privilege for their legislative acts. The documents requested would fall under the Speech and Debate privilege abnd thus would not be subject to disclosure requirements of the PIA. In addition, thhe deliberative process privilege is included within the SG 10-615 exclusion of the documents that are privileged by law and would stand as an additional bar to the production of the requested documents. Nevertheless, without waiving their privilege, those members who had any records responsive to your request have forwarded them to this office for inclusion in this consoodated response. It should be noted that no inference shouuld be made relative to the merits of SB43 or any other legislation pendiing before the General Assembly based on a member's possession or lack of any requested materials. Further, while Items 6 and 7 ask for documents which "support thhe need or justification for (SB)43," no such subjective analysis has gone in to preparing this response.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    So basically, myy read on this response is that a member of the General Assembly has complete immunity when they make up stuff that they want to enact public policy with. Forget any sort of factual basis for my public statements, I can claim my Speech and Debate privilege. :mad54:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    First, the silver lining, no matter what you DID send a clear message that the law-abiding gun owners of this state are ready, willing, and able to assert the various rights to which we are entitled in order to play watchdog over their mischief. You at least made them uncomfortable.

Second, the AG writing the response did manage to give us, as required, the reasons for denial. So it appears that we need to stay away from the deliberative process. But we can still file PIA requests for other stuff.

Remember, exceptions notwithstanding, your rights under the PIA are still very broad. The philosophy under the law is YOU are entitled to see what YOUR government is doing. So if you want to see, as a citizen, all e-mails on a public system that mention the color blue, you are entitled to know, if they are able to tell you. Yes, they can charge you a reasonable fee to research it, but you are entitled to know. You don't need to show a reason why it affects you personally. "Because I want to know" is enough.

I'm trying to think of some new ways to word PIA requests to get around the legislative privilege. As it is right now I just woke up after working all night keeping Marylanders safe from real dangers like ice storms. Once I get up and get thinking instead of ramblinh I'll add more.

zoo out ---:party29:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Just because the AG sent a letter with why it was denied, and even if he was right with what he wrote, it shouldn't mean we can't sue for the information and let a judge decide if the AG is correct.
    I bet that would be a thorn in their side knowing there is a lawsuit that they would have to deal with and might get them some negative publicity.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    From today's Sun regarding the bill dealing with ground rents and my observations:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/lo...feb16,0,1822611.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

Funny how they can't apply this line of thinking to us. These are just snips that I pulled out because there are so many parallels to the AWB. This bill has also gone through the Judicial Committee. I may use some of this in my testimony, especially Rona Kramer's quote

•"When you deal with existing constitutional property rights of individuals, you have to tread carefully," said Gary W. Alexander, a lobbyist representing ground rent owners.

•Some senators questioned whether it was appropriate to enact the prohibition retroactively, saying it could jeopardize real estate deals currently in the works.

•"I agree that in the big picture, this is the right thing to do," said Sen. Rona E. Kramer, a Montgomery County Democrat. "I'm concerned about the possibility that we may be hurting someone in our attempt to help people."

•But Frosh said the provision was necessary to avoid a "land rush" of property owners creating new ground rents before the law goes into effect.

•Republicans in the General Assembly are expected to look closely at the legislation to make sure it doesn't infringe on the property rights of ground rent holders.

•"This bill is about ground rent, and if I'm not mistaken, is about taking people's ability to own their own property away from them in a way," Greenip said,

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Just a bump for our documents:

Here are the two flyers that we have been distributing previously as well as a new one that is information about the hearings on the 27th of February.

Please distribute freely, particularly if you are in the western or eastern part of the state or have access to a private club.

http://www.mdshooters.com/uploads/AWB_Brochure_PDF.pdf

http://www.mdshooters.com/uploads/Hearingsb43.pdf

Here is an analysis of the comparisons between SB43 and the California version, SB23 that was passed:

http://www.mdshooters.com/uploads/CA_SB23.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Gmasterfluffy

Feb 19, 2007
    Hi new user, quick question, what should you do if your senitor is not a sponser on the bill. is it worth wrtting anyway?. if so what should i say.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Gmasterfluffy,

It is important that you write your Senator to say simply that, as a constituent, your are letting them know your opposition to the bill and would like to them to vote against it.

You should also contact the Judicial Committee members to say that you are registering your opposition.

Then contact the sponsors last....if anything just keep them busy.

Don't worry about it being the great American novel.....keep it short, say you are against it, ask them not to support it.

There are several letters around here.....feel free to adapt any of them into your words and send them off.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Gmasterfluffy,

Forgot my manners.....WELCOME!:beer:

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    Just because your Senator isn't a sponsor of a bill, doesn't mean they won't vote for it.

You should write every one of your representatives so that they are forced to explain their positions to you.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Did any of you guys call into the Chip Franklin Show today on WBAL around noon?

If so, please PM me......

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom