• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tjiann

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2022
    AACo
    Spent 8 hours there today. Cut a nice deal on a beautiful original Smith Carbine, picked up some gun parts, and a great new book on my favorite historic Harpers Ferry guns.

Attachments

• 20240316_094631.jpg
      20240316_094631.jpg
      315.3 KB · Views: 31
    • 20240316_171053.jpg
      20240316_171053.jpg
      448 KB · Views: 31

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Spent 3 hrs there Friday, which is Cherry-Picking Day.

Since I blew my budget, I avoided today, Saturday, which is Mob Day.

I'll be back for a few hours tomorrow, which is Bottom-Fishing Day, where you get good deals from folks who just don't wanna take it back home, and would like some folding money for their time and trouble.

My goals may be a bit off the beaten track; I picked up a 16th Century Polish war hammer, from the days of the Siege of Vienna and King John Sobieski's Winged Hussars. Also got a folk art walking stick that was too cool to leave behind.

Nadziak.jpg stick 3.jpg stick 1(1).jpg stick 2.jpg

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Have family in town visiting so for the first time in many years no go for me. Probably the best for my bank account... Please feel free to post about your experiences so I may live vicariously through you!

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Lots of cars in parking lots of people. Line for lunch was so long, I just got a lemonade and finished my walk.
    Did not see an Enfield 53 that I liked or spoke to me then almost done with walking show and saw this Martini Henry.
    Spoke enough to the seller about reloading for it and purchased some formed empty cases from him as well.
    View attachment 460483
    Nice rifle, I picked up a Mk IV a few weeks ago.
    I was going to start loading for it but decided to re-barrel/sporter it after weighing out the costs for components, reloading tools and all that.
    + I had a good No 1 barrel about and some extra timber so I decided to just go that route.

snake-eye

Jan 27, 2015
    MD
    I spent Sunday morning at the show. This is my favorite gun show, like going to a museum. Just walked around enjoying the various artifacts.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Spent Saturday morning walking around. Sold a couple of original Remington M1863 revolvers (surplus to my depth chart on those, I own four today). Bought a couple of books.

The problem is, I'm at a point where my want list is more high-end auction house stuff. As in a case of flintlock duelling pistols.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    My Brother and I waked around for a couple hours this morning. Had fun until my wife texted me that our water heater was leaking on the floor, so I had to spend all my gun money on a damn water heater and spend the rest of my Sunday afternoon putting it in. At least I'll get a hot shower tonight

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    My hunt for a SxS .410 was sort of successful... found a couple in the 5-7K range which was way more than I was going to pay for a .410, but instead found an over-and-under for a decent price. Close enough.

Also, I have a great Napoleon bust sitting on my bookshelf now.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    I've been going to this show for 20+ years so I'm used to the mark-ups that folks are asking... but daymn... the prices at this year's show were crazy high. You can usually find some bargains in between the crazy prices, but there weren't a lot of them to be had this year. And the sellers were all complaining that nobody was buying. Well... maybe they will figure it out.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    Got my first antique pinfire firearm, a 7mm revolver made in Liege, apparently in the mid-late 1800s. Not sure what I'll do with it other than clean and oil. Brass pinfire cases are available, but most readily from Belgium (I think).

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I've been going to this show for 20+ years so I'm used to the mark-ups that folks are asking... but daymn... the prices at this year's show were crazy high. You can usually find some bargains in between the crazy prices, but there weren't a lot of them to be had this year. And the sellers were all complaining that nobody was buying. Well... maybe they will figure it out.
    They figured it out. This year and last year on Sunday it was mostly dealers walking around and not many paying patrons. The nice weather never helps gun shows either. You go in as a seller hoping to make money and as a buyer hoping for a deal.
    In another post someone said about why go on Sunday, all the deals are gone?
    Sunday was a buyers market. My buddy bought a 22 with a $525 price tag for $200. A really nice marlin $4000 for $3300, I dropped my prices a couple hundred on $2000 but it was too late, only dealers looking for stuff they could resell.
    On Saturday I noticed the usual Joe/gun guy hunters weren't there, the casual nice guy that just likes guns.
    Yes, some prices were off the charts, but you have to keep in mind that some of the guns the guys simply don't want to sell. It is a collector's show and it's hard to buy a piece from someone's collection. They want to downsize but they don't want to let go. How many of us have guns we regret selling?

pre64hunter

Mar 19, 2010
    Harford County
    I saw some real nice all original Winchester 94 carbines in the $800-900 range and the dealers were willing to cut deals. I saw a fair amount of Marlin 1893 and 1894's, real nice with good color case, tight clean stocks, all original, priced around $1200 before negotiating. There were also equally nice, the same Marlins double that price.
    My thought was the Italian copies and ugly Jap Winchesters are selling for more than the originals.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    I was able to cross one off the list for a reasonable price. Guy did come down a little which made me feel better about it. I do think overall I overpaid but I am happy with it so far. I only saw 2 SMLE’s and both were pretty high in my opinion. Just couldn’t do it for those prices. That was Saturday so I don’t know if they were available on Sunday at better prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom