Marlin-Ballard .22? What exactly is this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grampa G

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2010
    Washington Co.

Attachments

• Marlin-Ballard-Hubalek-Schuetzen-rifle-22-l-r_100938765_619_2B33E6C0762208AB.jpg
      Marlin-Ballard-Hubalek-Schuetzen-rifle-22-l-r_100938765_619_2B33E6C0762208AB.jpg
      90.1 KB · Views: 19

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    Amongst the Deplorables, SC.
    From my guy after I shared the thread -

[quote author="@longrange1" timestamp="1705078964"][quote timestamp="1705066175" author="@brentona"]https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/marlin-ballard-22-what-exactly-is-this.280456/[br][br]Here is the thread and I do believe it is public. Seems a nice rifle![/quote]That's a pretty nicely done modified Ballard, with a J Stevens barrel, and what appears to be an old Unertl sight tube, not a scope. Those sight tubes can get almost as much money as nice target scopes, and would sell for around $400 these days, or a bit more.[br]The action has a two line address which usually indicates this rifle began life as a centerfire forged action. The most desirable actions are these forged for their strength, although that's not needed for a .22LR. But when these were built custom gunsmiths didn't care if they used too much action as they had little value back in the early 1900's.[br]If I saw this gun for sale I'd hope to buy it around $2000, or less as it sits, but they can run a bit more.[br][br]Vall[br][br]PS-There are so many wrong answers and guesses from people responding to that post! I wish if folks didn't know they'd stop just guessing. The person who said the maximum cartridge they were chambered for was .38-55 because that's all they could handle is an idiot. I own a Ballard Long Range #7 factory chambered in .44-100, and the #5 1/2 Montana was chambered in .45-120 cartridge.[br]The link to the Hubalek Ballard is misleading as he's pretty famous and guns with his or any famous maker's barrel on them will get premiums over this Stevens barrel.[/quote]

You can take this as very solid info from a man who has spent a life collecting these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    From my guy after I shared the thread -

[quote author="@longrange1" timestamp="1705078964"][quote timestamp="1705066175" author="@brentona"]https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/marlin-ballard-22-what-exactly-is-this.280456/[br][br]Here is the thread and I do believe it is public. Seems a nice rifle!
    That's a pretty nicely done modified Ballard, with a J Stevens barrel, and what appears to be an old Unertl sight tube, not a scope. Those sight tubes can get almost as much money as nice target scopes, and would sell for around $400 these days, or a bit more.[br]The action has a two line address which usually indicates this rifle began life as a centerfire forged action. The most desirable actions are these forged for their strength, although that's not needed for a .22LR. But when these were built custom gunsmiths didn't care if they used too much action as they had little value back in the early 1900's.[br]If I saw this gun for sale I'd hope to buy it around $2000, or less as it sits, but they can run a bit more.[br][br]Vall[br][br]PS-There are so many wrong answers and guesses from people responding to that post! I wish if folks didn't know they'd stop just guessing. The person who said the maximum cartridge they were chambered for was .38-55 because that's all they could handle is an idiot. I own a Ballard Long Range #7 factory chambered in .44-100, and the #5 1/2 Montana was chambered in .45-120 cartridge.[br]The link to the Hubalek Ballard is misleading as he's pretty famous and guns with his or any famous maker's barrel on them will get premiums over this Stevens barrel.[/quote]

You can take this as very solid info from a man who has spent a life collecting these.

[/QUOTE]
    Tell your boy he's wrong about 38-55 and he's the idiot.
    And further more his argument is with DeHass not me. And for Mr know it all as well,it has the strength to be chambered to 38-55 and is explicitly written in a De -Hass publication known as Single shot rifles and Gunsmithing them. And how to make extractors for them to boot.
    Wonder why he didn't go on about cast iron and forged casehardened ones and the even earlier brass ones? Barrel tenons and threads?
    He should come on here and bless every one of us with his astute knowledge next time a thread comes up instead of shit talk bout what he owns.
    Meanwhile, Ill go back to my bluing tank for a Krag carbine refit for a forum member and prep some tools for final chambering a .30 Army carbine.
    Oh in case I forget, ask him when his book is coming out so I can buy a copy to wipe my dogs ass with it next time it has diarrhea of the mouth or ass before it heads back to the kennel. Or at lest post the info to his gunsmithing shop that he works at in case someone needs something done wrong or bad advice.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013
    That's a pretty nicely done modified Ballard, with a J Stevens barrel, and what appears to be an old Unertl sight tube, not a scope. Those sight tubes can get almost as much money as nice target scopes, and would sell for around $400 these days, or a bit more.[br]The action has a two line address which usually indicates this rifle began life as a centerfire forged action. The most desirable actions are these forged for their strength, although that's not needed for a .22LR. But when these were built custom gunsmiths didn't care if they used too much action as they had little value back in the early 1900's.[br]If I saw this gun for sale I'd hope to buy it around $2000, or less as it sits, but they can run a bit more.[br][br]Vall[br][br]PS-There are so many wrong answers and guesses from people responding to that post! I wish if folks didn't know they'd stop just guessing. The person who said the maximum cartridge they were chambered for was .38-55 because that's all they could handle is an idiot. I own a Ballard Long Range #7 factory chambered in .44-100, and the #5 1/2 Montana was chambered in .45-120 cartridge.[br]The link to the Hubalek Ballard is misleading as he's pretty famous and guns with his or any famous maker's barrel on them will get premiums over this Stevens barrel.

[/QUOTE]
    Tell your boy he's wrong about 38-55 and he's the idiot.
    And further more his argument is with DeHass not me. And for Mr know it all as well,it has the strength to be chambered to 38-55 and is explicitly written in a De -Hass publication known as Single shot rifles and Gunsmithing them. And how to make extractors for them to boot.
    Wonder why he didn't go on about cast iron and forged casehardened ones and the even earlier brass ones? Barrel tenons and threads?
    He should come on here and bless every one of us with his astute knowledge next time a thread comes up instead of shit talk bout what he owns.
    Meanwhile, Ill go back to my bluing tank for a Krag carbine refit for a forum member and prep some tools for final chambering a .30 Army carbine.
    Oh in case I forget, ask him when his book is coming out so I can buy a copy to wipe my dogs ass with it next time it has diarrhea of the mouth or ass before it heads back to the kennel. Or at lest post the info to his gunsmithing shop that he works at in case someone needs something done wrong or bad advice.

Dangone. Hit a nerve there. Don’t take it out on me

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!

[/QUOTE]

I'm not.
    Although, I think it's pretty poor form to quote some BS from a person whose just fool enough to let everyone know, what he'd pay for something before he brings something to the table that the forum can actually benefit and learn from from.
    Tell the life long collector guy, that thinks he knows more than he really does, he should have spent some more money on books and paid more attention to developing his reading comprehension and less time insulting a pretty dam collective wealth of knowledge from some of these people here, than hurling cheap insults via proxy.
    Very solid info my ass. Your buddy, is the idiot my friend and he's stupidly wrong, indeed.

Brent

#2ALivesMatter
    Nov 22, 2013

I'm not.
    Although, I think it's pretty poor form to quote some BS from a person whose just fool enough to let everyone know, what he'd pay for something before he brings something to the table that the forum can actually benefit and learn from from.
    Tell the life long collector guy, that thinks he knows more than he really does, he should have spent some more money on books and paid more attention to developing his reading comprehension and less time insulting a pretty dam collective wealth of knowledge from some of these people here, than hurling cheap insults via proxy.
    Very solid info my ass. Your buddy, is the idiot my friend and he's stupidly wrong, indeed.[/QUOTE]

Take a breath.

Along with pg17 of the Dehaas also mention the chamberings.

I didn’t mean to C&P the idjit part that just came through. I do trust his info more than yours as I know his collective knowledge but do not know yours.

Just another day on the internet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk we

marlinguy

Jan 14, 2024
    NW
    Cartridges for Ballard rifles:
    • .22 Short/Long Rimfire
      .44 Ballard Long (No. 1 Hunter's Model)
    • .32 Long, .38 Long (No. 2 Sporting Model)
    • .32-40 Ballard
    • .38-50 Ballard
    • .38-55 Ballard
    • .40-63/70 Ballard
    • .40-65 Ballard
    • .40-70 Sharps
    • .44-75 Ballard
    • .44-77 Sharps
    • .40-85/90 Ballard
    • .44-90 Sharps
    • .44-100 Ballard
    • .40-90 Ballard
    • .40-90 Sharps
    • .45-70 Government
    • .50-70 Government
    • .44-40 Winchester
    • .45-100 Ballard
    • .45 Sharps

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    Years ago, my father came across this rifle he referred to as a Scheutzen (sp?) rifle. Not as many years ago, I ended up with it and stored it away. It is chambered in .22LR with an incredibly heavy barrel made by Stevens and a falling block receiver made by Marlin. It also has a Lyman Polaroid sight.

Could this be a Marlin-Ballard? What is this?
    Very nice
    On my wish list in near future

rnj66

Mar 2, 2024
    Grantsville md
    Thanks for bringing this one back up.
    Earlier I had misidentified the rifle but have since looked into it a little further out of interest.
    It seems as if this one is the single shot rifles of single shot rifles.
    The design has a storied history and timeline between Ballard / Marlin in regards to improvements, licensing, construction, marketing,materials etc.
    It’s a keeper for sure noted as the most prevalent design for single shot accuracy and was chambered up to 38/55 which appears to be its limit for safety and strength.
    A rare find in person to see one

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the info!!

I’m sure the palm rest and the Lyman Polaroid sight were “later” additions. The rifle is drilled/tapped for a tang sight, which seems to be the norm based on my research.

I did take an image of the extractor - not super clear but it looks like one, that’s for sure…

I did take a couple of other images - the workmanship that went into this rifle is simply not available in a commercial firearm today. I never paid attention to the engine turning on the trigger “housing”, or the many screws for the set and fire triggers.
    BTW, looks like you and member here

should compare notes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom